Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Important PSA for Tesla owners - lock the car from the touchscreen if inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kids could lock themselves in the car?
Can they not open it - if needed? It makes more sense for camp mode to lock from the UI as the phone is going to be within the range most of the time. And I guess what the lady didn’t show was the door can be opened from inside using the door buttons - which I guess most of the kids (dad or mom who has a Tesla) knows. Of course, key card/ring etc., overrides all this and opens the door. Good to have a spare key card/ring if you are camping!

Last edited:
Sure, but I was thinking of young kids who did it "somehow" and then didn't understand what adult, outside the car, was gesticulating for them to do
Possible. The alternative is to use the Camp mode only while camping with a backup key card/ring with the adult. In other case, using dog mode - where they can’t lock/unlock the car and can be opened using mobile from outside.

I'm probably being a bit dense, but my car hasn't locked when I've walked away and forgot the phone is on the wireless charging pad. I know obviously it wouldn't do that because it doesn't know I've gone, but even if I locked it with the fob I would assume that anyone trying the handle could get in, because the "phone key" is in range.

I didn't realise locking the car via the UI effectively nullified the phone key, though.

Sure, but I was thinking of young kids who did it "somehow" and then didn't understand what adult, outside the car, was gesticulating for them to do
Even if passive unlock stops working if someone locks the car from the UI, surely the "Controls" still lets you unlock the car, doesn't it?

I know obviously it wouldn't do that because it doesn't know I've gone

Although it knows your rump isn't sat on the seat any more :) so it would seem to me it could alert on exit if phone left in the car (let's hope Tesla don't implement that by sending you a text or notification in the APP !!)

Even if passive unlock stops working if someone locks the car from the UI, surely the "Controls" still lets you unlock the car, doesn't it?

Not tried it, but up-thread I think the suggestion was that Card (or watch / fob etc.) would still unlock.

My concern is that someone has, deliberately (adult) or inadvertently (young child) locked themselves in, and then driver returning to the car can't unlock it (adult has medical emergency, child too young to figure out how)

Worth a test anyway. I've never used camp mode so can't really give any useful advice.

It would be a pretty nice quality of life fix if the car bonged or something if you had left your phone on the charging pad and opened the drivers door (or a PWS beep or something if you've closed the door leaving the phone in the car).

I guess the reason it might not do that already is that only the two front seats have occupancy sensors, I think, so it's not a certain thing that you haven't left people in the car on purpose, not wanting it to lock, etc. You could argue that the cabin camera ought to be able to work that out though.

I would assume when in camp mode locking from the app should be overriding all else, including door handles when phone detected inside.
Certainly the overall brilliancy of the tesla user interface would imply tesla nerds thought about it, no?

Certainly the overall brilliancy of the tesla user interface would imply tesla nerds thought about it, no?
Camping is culturally more of an American thing - because of the availability of natural space, national parks and charging less for tent camping etc., So the tesla nerds thought thro’ that. Certain part of Europe and UK do caravan camping rather than open tent camping.

Tesla could have spent little more time on some of these other constant mourns like wipers and headlights etc.,using some nerds from European countries or UK - that would have made Model 3 an ideal car.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Camping is culturally more of an American thing - because of the availability of natural space, national parks and charging less for tent camping etc., So the tesla nerds thought thro’ that. Certain part of Europe and UK do caravan camping rather than open tent camping.

Tesla could have spent little more time on some of these other constant mourns like wipers and headlights etc.,using some nerds from European countries or UK - that would have made Model 3 an ideal car.

Of course - again - i failed to notice this is Europe room. * facepalm,

But - I certainly agree with the wipers thing :)
However, after around 7 months ownership, my MYP went in for service the other day. I got a loaner - a 2017 MS P100D. In all honesty, could not get used to the extra ( and by this time at least in my head) redundant equipment, like 77 stalks the steering wheel has, or the driver's cluster.

It was just in my way :D

Reactions: Durzel

Indeed, you'll know they've started considering the UK market when they add in a Dogging Mode. 🤣

It's kind of logical, I mean if your driving your car and you lock it from the screen (assuming you don't have auto lock on), you dont want it to just unlock if some random person pulls a door handle at traffic lights - otherwise what's the point in the door lock??

As for kids doing it accidentally, if you lock it from the screen, pressing any of the door open buttons inside unlocks the car providing it isn't moving - if your not in park, it goes automatically to park when you open a door. (unless you have child lock enabled for that door).