Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't, but I'll add it to the list. I still trying to offer things that 99% of owners could fit (puddle lights being something of an exception, if you don't have the premium lighting), so that would be my only concern, as the ambient lights would also need the door panel to be removed. Still, I'll take a look....if anyone has the part # for the light strip, that would be a great start.... ;-)

I haven't, but I'll add it to the list. I still trying to offer things that 99% of owners could fit (puddle lights being something of an exception, if you don't have the premium lighting), so that would be my only concern, as the ambient lights would also need the door panel to be removed. Still, I'll take a look....if anyone has the part # for the light strip, that would be a great start.... ;-)
Thanks, Pete. :) I don't have the part number and haven't been able to find it in any of my searches so far. Hopefully, someone on else here on the forum may be able to help us.

Pete,

Sorry if someone asked this already. I just installed the light package on my S85, looks fantastic, definitely a huge improvement over the factory lights.

My question is, have you guys considered offering those in other colors? I would love to have the footwell lights in Blue or Green or other colors. So far you have White and Red, would figure that it wouldn't be too hard for your Vendor in Taiwan to offer other light colors as the basic design is the same, just the LED itself on the PCB would have to be switched to a different color.

My apologies if someone asked this previously and you addressed it already...

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Actually, we've got prototypes of the same bulbs that can do any color, that's controlled by a small remote. The form factor means we can only get 3 surface mount LED's on the PCB, so the 'white' is actually RGB, and as a consequence, not quite as bright as the straight white bulbs (but still significantly brighter than the OEM bulbs). I've not pulled the trigger on them yet as I don't care for the remote, but we've not been able to find anything better, and again, the small form-factor means we cannot use an app-based controller. You can see one of the RGB bulbs in this old photo where I was showing how to remove the trunk bulb. Having interchangeable lenses (our red bulbs still use a white LED), on reflection, would have been a good idea, but as we wanted to completely replicate the OEM design, that wasn't a consideration, and actually removing the lenses is not easy.

Actually, we've got prototypes of the same bulbs that can do any color, that's controlled by a small remote.

What kind of remote, out of curiosity? (i.e. IR, RF)

I could totally see my kid going for this (he has a bazillion different LEDs of various types on his bike, my bike, his scooter, and his bedroom). The latest addition is 32 feet of RGB LED light strips with an IR remote control, going around the walls in his bedroom. I am not sure if the prospect of multicolor LEDs in my car is a good thing or a bad thing. :)

Bruce.

It's RF, but the range is fairly low, i.e. You can set the trunk lights with one press, but then you have to go into the cabin and press it again for the footwell lights. Having a control wire between all of them was my engineers solution, but that's not a workable solution :). The remote has all the usual color cycle effects, but I think (hope?!) most S owners would just choose a color for each zone and set it.

Actually, we've got prototypes of the same bulbs that can do any color, that's controlled by a small remote. The form factor means we can only get 3 surface mount LED's on the PCB, so the 'white' is actually RGB, and as a consequence, not quite as bright as the straight white bulbs (but still significantly brighter than the OEM bulbs). I've not pulled the trigger on them yet as I don't care for the remote, but we've not been able to find anything better, and again, the small form-factor means we cannot use an app-based controller.

You can see one of the RGB bulbs in this
old photo where I was showing how to remove the trunk bulb. Having interchangeable lenses (our red bulbs still use a white LED), on reflection, would have been a good idea, but as we wanted to completely replicate the OEM design, that wasn't a consideration, and actually removing the lenses is not easy.

I like the idea of your RGB LEDs ... does this bulb have a red/blue contrast?
upload_2016-10-24_20-3-41.png

Actually, we've got prototypes of the same bulbs that can do any color, that's controlled by a small remote. The form factor means we can only get 3 surface mount LED's on the PCB, so the 'white' is actually RGB, and as a consequence, not quite as bright as the straight white bulbs (but still significantly brighter than the OEM bulbs). I've not pulled the trigger on them yet as I don't care for the remote, but we've not been able to find anything better, and again, the small form-factor means we cannot use an app-based controller. You can see one of the RGB bulbs in this old photo where I was showing how to remove the trunk bulb. Having interchangeable lenses (our red bulbs still use a white LED), on reflection, would have been a good idea, but as we wanted to completely replicate the OEM design, that wasn't a consideration, and actually removing the lenses is not easy.

Hmmm.. I would figure something like Blue would be popular enough by itself that it would warrant a production run on its own, even it it is a White LED with a Blue lens on it.

Someone going with a Blue interior would probably need at least 4 for the front and rear foot wells, and as many as 8 if they wanted the Blue trunk and frunk as well.

Don't know what kind of volume you would need to make it worth it. Maybe offer people to pre-order it, and see how many takers you have up front. You may get enough pre-orders to sell the entire production run up front or at least justify at test run.

Hmmm.. I would figure something like Blue would be popular enough by itself that it would warrant a production run on its own, even it it is a White LED with a Blue lens on it.

Someone going with a Blue interior would probably need at least 4 for the front and rear foot wells, and as many as 8 if they wanted the Blue trunk and frunk as well.

Don't know what kind of volume you would need to make it worth it. Maybe offer people to pre-order it, and see how many takers you have up front. You may get enough pre-orders to sell the entire production run up front or at least justify at test run.
Maybe...right now I have my footwells set to kind of a purple/blue color, it's more subtle than the white, and doesn't light up all the bit of mud on my mats quite as much! The minimum run is still quite high (5000 units), so the 'right' way does seem to be to manufacture a bulb that can do any color, rather than different lenses, but there's pros and cons to both options.

It seems like there would be three approaches to colored LED lights... each would have individual RGB for each location that you wanted to have colored lighting, but the control approach would be different.

• Each light could have it's own fixed "controller", perhaps using 3 little rotary switches that you would set the color before installing them. While controllable is cool, I suspect that the vast majority of people would simply want to set the color and forget about it... perhaps resetting it occasionally, but not need "live control" over them.
    • This would probably be the least expensive option, at a guess under 5 bucks per strip and I suspect you could find these pre-made.
    • This would also be basically as easy to install as the current light replacement kits.
  • Have each colored segment have its own controller, possibly controlled with a single remote, but ultimately they would be individual segments.
    • This would probably not be too expensive, (Ive seen RF RBG controllers for under $20, but it seems like it would be asking for technical challenges (the left hand light gets the change color signal, but not the right hand side)... or one receiver gets out of sync for some reason...
  • Have a central controlling node installed and run wires to each of the light locations. the controlling node could then be more expensive and also have add-ons for things like under-car lights etc that some people seem to like.
    • This would be much harder to install, but for those who really want to "pimp their rides", it would offer the most control.

It seems like it might not be that hard to offer kits for each of these if you can find the parts "off the shelf", since the main custom piece is the RGB light elements themselves, which would be common for each of them.

Maybe. The problem with option 1 is that we're very limited by the form factor, there's not much space to locate 3 dials. Option 3 would be the technically preferred option, but the process of running a traveller cable to each light would be a huge pain, and not within scope of the stuff we try to offer, which can be fitted by almost anyone.

Maybe. The problem with option 1 is that we're very limited by the form factor, there's not much space to locate 3 dials.

well, I cant argue since I have not seen behind the spaces yet, but I was thinking about something that would work like:

[Light] - (x in cord)--- connector - (x in cord) --- mini controller -- ( 6 in cord) -- Tesla connector

You would install the light, and set the controller, then hide the controller in a hollow somewhere nearby. (OK, I have no idea if there IS a hollow nearby, but hey, I can always imagine it!)

Option 3 would be the technically preferred option, but the process of running a traveller cable to each light would be a huge pain, and not within scope of the stuff we try to offer, which can be fitted by almost anyone.

I agree, this would be a professional install option for most people... but that also means that you don't need to make it as "polished", you sell the lights, 50' of 4 conductor 18g wire, some connectors, and the controller. There are easily people out there who would pay someone the kind of money to do this... and since you have drop in replacement lights, it would be easier for the pros to purchase from you than to just use RGB LED elements and scrape out the old stuff. (I think).

and, if you did the "[light] -- (x in cord) -- connector" from above, you use the same and item for both approaches.

I just got these, and wanted to say thanks. They installed easily (just did the 3 trunk ones so far) and they look identical to the original LEDs, but with much-improved light output. The factory look is essential for me, I can't stand sloppy looking mods.

The problem is I only ordered a 4-pack for the trunk & frunk, but they're so good I'm thinking about puddle lights and maybe footwells too. Since I haven't installed my 4th bulb in the frunk yet, I'm planning on trying it out in the other locations to see what it's like.

The factory look is essential for me, I can't stand sloppy looking mods.

LOL. I agree. I wired in some extra LED strips under the supports for the parcel shelf. It was need, but behind the carpeting, the wiring was just hanging loose. When Tesla replaced my drive unit, they had to retrofit upgraded mounts and thus, pulled out that carpeting to do their work. Their tech nearly ran the wiring while he had everything open. Now it completely looks factory until you open the trunk of a loaner and are saddened how little light there is. :)

I just got these, and wanted to say thanks. They installed easily (just did the 3 trunk ones so far) and they look identical to the original LEDs, but with much-improved light output. The factory look is essential for me, I can't stand sloppy looking mods.

The problem is I only ordered a 4-pack for the trunk & frunk, but they're so good I'm thinking about puddle lights and maybe footwells too. Since I haven't installed my 4th bulb in the frunk yet, I'm planning on trying it out in the other locations to see what it's like.
Glad you like them, they've been our top-selling accessory this holiday season. I officially nominate them for the TMC Aftermarket Accessory of the Year Award. Oh wait, there isn't one, damn it.... ;-)

Here is a suggestion ... after retrofitting the trunk and frunk, take the 4 OEM bulbs and use them for the foot wells and doors :cool:
You don't need as much light in these areas and the wiring is already in place.

Here is a suggestion ... after retrofitting the trunk and frunk, take the 4 OEM bulbs and use them for the foot wells and doors :cool:
You don't need as much light in these areas and the wiring is already in place.

It looks like they started including led's for the rear foot wells. No PUP on mine, and our rears have lights. You could still use them for the doors though.

I have OEM lights in the foot wells and doors already, it's just a question of making them better. After trying it out, I decided that the brighter foot wells just shows off my kids' mess and my lack of vacuuming. I do like the brighter puddles though, so I've got another 4-pack ordered to upgrade those.