Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha, well, the brackets we supply are technically already after-market as Tesla wouldn't supply them to us any more. They're based on the Tesla ones of course, but with a couple of tweaks. Does the new premium seat still have the bar that the brackets clip onto? And is this a new new premium seat? I guess I'm out the loop, aside from the momentary trip into ventilated seats, I thought we were back to the 'original' premium seats, in which case, that's what I have in my S.

Pete, no, it doesn't have the original clip nor the bar. It's a exact copy of the Model X seat, the light face straight down. For Model X it's fine because the seat are set in a higher position, but for the Model S, it's a complete design flaw.

Update: I have found a solution, just take off the LED from the clip and put it at an angle. Easy and dirty solution.

This is the original placement (design flaw for Model S)
8018f696-e4e8-412d-812c-847200287d6d.jpg

I removed the LED from the clip and just place it on the floor at an angle:

e6d4f493-e8cf-42af-a38c-27e715facec1.jpg

A big improvement!
002e02c9-34b6-4184-bcfb-7014a9ad56a3.jpg

Update: I have found a solution, just take off the LED from the clip and put it at an angle. Easy and dirty solution.

This is the original placement (design flaw for Model S)
View attachment 219315

I removed the LED from the clip and just place it on the floor at an angle:

View attachment 219316

A big improvement!
View attachment 219317

Not sure that'll be a long-term fix as they'll move as the seat moves.

How would they stay in position and facing the correct direction?

Reactions: FlatSix911
I just put in 12 new plug-in LEDs in my 2017 MS. I had help. Some of the positions you need to get in to requires more flexibility than I have at my age. Plus, IMO, some of the lights cannot be removed with the spudger or whatever it's called. You're likely going to have to use a small screwdriver or probably two and be patient. Then, with my (limited) eyesight, (lack of) finger dexterity, and large hands, getting those little bastards to release and come apart was almost impossible for me, especially under the seats.

All in all, I'd have been happy to pay someone a decent sum to do it for me. Seems like the service centers could offer installation for those of us who are somewhat challenged. Probably a young girl with slender fingers, sharp nails and perfect eyesight could install them in a half hour or less. My suggestion: troll the high school playgrounds for good candidates.

I just installed my trunk/frunk set and like them so far. I have to say though that the one on the rear hatch was a real pain in the butt to get out. Ended up snapping one of the retaining clips on the original one which will live forever inside my hatch. They're a little more towards the blue spectrum but will really appreciate the extra light. Will consider doing some of the others later down the road but the frunk/trunk ones were necessary improvements.

There's quite a few owners that have done this. We have to recommend a professional to do this as it involves minor surgery on the bottom of the door (cutting out the opening for the bulb), and also means that 8 times out of 10 you'll need to partially remove the interior door trim to locate the power cables. If you're used to doing basic upgrades, then it's not at all difficult.

Reactions: e-FTW
I don't have the premium interior lighting package and the instructions from Abstract Ocean recommend using a professional to install the 4 Ultra Bright LED puddle lights. Has anyone done this by themselves and can give tips?

My S85D doesn't have premium interior lighting, but came with puddle lights under the front doors only. Those were pretty straightforward to swap out. It didn't have puddle lights under the rear doors, so I had a customs shop take apart the rear doors to get the wiring to the right location, open up the hole in the bottom of the door, etc.

Bruce.

I did them all myself, including popping the back door panels off with trim tools, and if you are handy, careful and patient, not a problem.
The only light I have not been able to change so far is the driver's footwell. That one is hard.
And something about laying on my back yanking at the light and trying to remove the trim panel while staring at a driver's knee airbag 2 inches from my face freaked me out... :)

...plus unless you're particularly flexible, literally bending over backwards isn't much fun either :) It seems that each version of the Model S moves the difficult bulb around. For the current crop, the rear hatch seems to be the trouble maker, yet on my first S I could pull that our without any tools.

Reactions: e-FTW