Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving Supercharger Availability $0.40 idle fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What. What in the world are you talking about? Can you answer my previous questions please?

My apologies if we talking past each other, that is certainly not intentional. I am - and have been - discussing the effects of this policy on EV adoption. I have seen Superchargers as a great EV adoption obstacle remover and worry that this newest policy is detrimental to that.

The number is an estimate. Nothing more. I never expected it to be accurate to the exact second or exact minute even.

OK, we agree. And IMO this was no issue - as I can understan the technicals behind it - until the idle charges and a 5 minute grace came along.

The rated miles is a much more important number. (also an estimate) When I am traveling I only need enough range to make the next stop plus a safety margin.

The time to unplug and leave is sometime after I have enough charge to make the next stop and before the charge finishes. That is normally much more time than just the 5 minutes that you like complain about so much.

Sure, but when living in areas where superchargers are few and far away, charging to the limit is still not that uncommon - especially if you plan to use that break for some activity like a lunch.

But yes, I agree, if your typical supercharge is nowhere near the charging limit, then certainly it is likely you never meet this issue. In California people seem to have superchargers every few blocks instead of every few hundred miles. :)

How often do you use a supercharger anyway ?

Rarely enough that this is not a personal issue. My closest SpC is 100+ miles away (though on route to a fairly regular destination). I am pondering the effects on the average joe and EV adoption. I would prefer a reasonable penalty system and I find the 5 minute grace at a non-pre-determinable time an unreasonable one.

Really, I blame @sorka 's wife on all this. :)

My apologies if we talking past each other, that is certainly not intentional. I am - and have been - discussing the effects of this policy on EV adoption. I have seen Superchargers as a great EV adoption obstacle remover and worry that this newest policy is detrimental to that.
I think that this EV adoption is beneficial because it will keep SC's from being congested thereby encouraging others to buy a Tesla EV because they WILL be able to utilize all of the benefits of there EVs - including SC'ing.

I'd argue that anyone overshooting the grace period 33% of the time on a weekly basis, is exactly who should be charged.
No?
Not to mention that this hypothetical user is at a mostly full Supercharger 3x weekly but still is somehow the layperson user, or a person who is incapable of managing their charge.

@AnxietyRanger, since you concur that you cannot support the argument that there is a widespread problem with charge times surprisingly speeding up (not disputing that it does happen at times), I suggest you stop stating it as fact to support your already shaky argument. Or at least provide the disclaimer that it's based on a single anecdote or two. Stating that it's many tens of minutes is patently false.

If anything in this thread is harming EV adoption, it's your posts.

Not to mention that this hypothetical user is at a mostly full Supercharger 3x weekly but still is somehow the layperson user, or a person who is incapable of managing their charge.

I agree the "mostly full" policy is a good addendum, so hopefully the scenario I outlined will not happen too often. But that is really no saving grace for the 5 min grace itself - just for the excellent amendment Tesla made to an IMO ill-conceived policy. Which, by the way, I consider a very good amendment. Credit where credit is due.

@AnxietyRanger, since you concur that you cannot support the argument that there is a widespread problem with charge times surprisingly speeding up (not disputing that it does happen at times), I suggest you stop stating it as fact to support your already shaky argument. Or at least provide the disclaimer that it's based on a single anecdote or two. Stating that it's many tens of minutes is patently false.

Well, I am not sure I concur. Frankly, I thought the imprecise supercharging times were a well known and widely agreed fact. I must state my surprise at the realization that it does not seem to be. I must fly to California and test your precise superchargers at some point. :)

If anything in this thread is harming EV adoption, it's your posts.

That seems kind of rich.

@AnxietyRanger
Regardless of your and others inability to figure out the length of time it takes to charge, how can you justify an the rudeness to extend your stay at SC past the 5 minute buffer when the fee only applies to busy locations? If someone is aware that there are likely to be Tesla's lined up waiting to get a charge, then yes maybe they should wait in the car if they are unable or unwilling to use the app. If it is a more isolated SC then enjoy your walk, nice meal, and leasurely break. But if it is going to impact others, move the car ASAP.

This probably isn't the only inconvenience people without Android or iPhones suffer.
I lead a pretty rich, full life without one, I think. This is the first time I've ever felt the need (or desire) to get a smartphone. I thought about getting one for this purpose, but I'm pretty sure the expense of the hardware and data plan are going to outweigh any the idle fees for a while.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and dhanson865
I'd like a show of hands wrt keeping this thread open versus closing it.

Is there anything that makes this thread different than a lot of threads?

Like a lot of threads on here the major point of contention was already solved. So there isn't much reason to contribute much unless I'm specifically just wasting time.

There is also some unresolved elements. Like why does Pasadena, CA show an idle fee of $0.00 (at least last time I checked), and we need to have at least one person purposely incur an idle fee to see if they are indeed charging it.