Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving Supercharger Availability $0.40 idle fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just returned from a 4000 mile road trip through some remote areas without cell service. Idle fees never crossed my mind once, and I was never in danger of accruing any. I can't imagine wanting to overstay a charging event on a road trip, but realize that I may be some bizarre anomaly.

You are not the anomaly, Ohmman. But there are people out there who cannot be bothered with the mundane happenings of life. They live on their own time and in their own personal bubble. Some just do not pay attention to detail. Others have agendas that preclude them from thinking beyond what is on their agenda.

Supercharging is new. Supercharger etiquette and thoughtfulness is new. We are trying to change people's behavior. Some just have not received the memo yet. Others just don't care.

The idle fees will persuade the former group. Not sure what will change the latter.

This argument is unbelievable. I cannot believe we are back full circle, nor can I believe that I am posting in this thread again. I am so stupid.

There are some people here acting like there are many drivers who need to supercharge all day every day, and if staying too long, could place their financial futures in jeopardy, or cause a detrimental drop in EV sales due to a fear of an overbearing corporate policy. We are talking about a few bucks, a few times a year, and even then, only if you neglect to some back to your car in a timely fashion. Geez.
And yes, I too set my charge for 100%, since I want the maximum possible for the next leg of the journey. Of course I would like to avoid idle fees, but that's not the reason why. Each and every one of us, definitely including myself, is motivated by our own self-interests. Meaning, we all have better things to do than sit at a supercharger trying to milk it for every ounce of energy we can suck out of it. As soon as I have enough of a charge, and I have accomplished what I needed at the site (eat, use facilities, etc), I am GONE.

For the vast majority of drivers, a range setting of 100% is not the rate limiting step in getting our cars moved; it is our ultimate destination and busy lives that dictate when we leave. For those few people who want/need to charge to 100%, taking the massive amount of time it takes to fill up, yet still manage to outstay the 5 minute grace period, let them pay the idle fee. Big. Frickin'. Whoop.

As far as changing the grace period, I would like to share a test I used to give to my Psych patients many years ago:
If all the crime on a subway occurs in the most rear car of the train, would removing that car result in a reduction of crime? It is amazing how many people answered yes.

Maybe that's Tesla's plan all along, to make some money out of it. A few million a year could easily be in it.

This is just one of the many things that bugs me about you and this thread. There is no way in hell Tesla will ever be making money on these idle fees.

Just consider how much hardware and money goes into building one SuperCharger location. Tesla does not give this information out easily. The best estimate I could find was this article from 2 years ago.
Net Book Value Of Tesla Supercharger Network Is $152.4 Million

This report made an estimate of $284,000 per location. I am sure that number has gone up since then. The newer stations are larger for one thing. As of today supercharge.info shoes 901 locations worldwide and 375 in USA.

Tesla spent all of this time and money on charge stations to give away the product (electricity) for free. They only thing they ask of us as customers is move the dang car when its done.

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.

This is just one of the many things that bugs me about you and this thread. There is no way in hell Tesla will ever be making money on these idle fees.

Thank you for responding @KJD, I appreciate it.

Let me be clear about my comment, though, I am not expecting the Supercharger to turn into a profit center with idle charges. Of course not. But there are, what, some 200k Supercharging enabled Teslas on the road? If every other one of them makes $2,40 in idle charges a month (the minimum a 6 minute overstay causes), that would be almost 3 million dollars a year. Multiply the ownership through Model 3 sales and that becomes a much larger number that can, together with kW charges, help get back some of the Supercharging costs.

So IMO it is not completely unfathomable that the tight grace of 5 minutes was in part dictated by a preference to start these revenue streams in Supercharging. Tesla could easily have made the grace 15 minutes and ruled out possibly a massive portion of "overstayers" with that simple move, but they chose a very tight grace. Tesla may of course deny any such motivation, but history has shown they would not necessarily be forthcoming with a real motivation, so we can not really assess this based on their word only.

Mind you, I do not know if this is a motivation. Just saying it could be. An added benefit of the system, so to speak. Not the main motivation.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone and Rocky_H
You are not the anomaly, Ohmman. But there are people out there who cannot be bothered with the mundane happenings of life. They live on their own time and in their own personal bubble. Some just do not pay attention to detail. Others have agendas that preclude them from thinking beyond what is on their agenda.

Supercharging is new. Supercharger etiquette and thoughtfulness is new. We are trying to change people's behavior. Some just have not received the memo yet. Others just don't care.

The idle fees will persuade the former group. Not sure what will change the latter.

What bothers me is the oversimplifications that happen in this thread, hopefully out of misunderstanding of the argument, but possibly in an effort to paint the opposing opinion in a bad light. I hope it is the misundestanding of the argument.

First of all, I agree that Supercharging etiquette - and EV charging etiquette in general - are still new and changing. However, I am not sure we trying to change (who is we anyway?) people's behavor is the right way to put it. I think as a society in general we are trying to find out what the correct etiquette is. I am not sure anyone really knows what the etiquette will gravitate towards, it is still early days yet and many different things will be tried out before we see what sticks in general.

Second, the idea that this conversation about good policy is somehow related to people in bubbles and agendas, seems a simplification to me. IMO a more constructive way to put it would be to assess what kind of policy works for the average, reasonable user. What an average user, a reasonable person would find reasonable and be reasonably able to operate. Many things in our society are, in the end, based on this rather vague, but still very useful notion.

I have simply pointed out that to me - IMO - the average, reasonable person will have a hard time knowing when Supercharging will end (given bad estimates, stall sharing events, charger condition variance and taper algorithm changes) with the precision of being able to remove the charging cable within 5 minutes of that - and that, thus, they will face punitive charges even with reasonable use of the system and I would prefer that to be avoided. I think a good policy will not target reasonable users with punitive charges. Simply because it would be the reasonable thing to do - it also has the added benefit of adding to user satisfaction as punitive charges are disliked by design by many.

I also think asking people to change the charging to 100% to help avoid such punitive charges is bad, because encouraging charging towards 100% is inherently a bad idea - even if many avoid actually charging to full. To develop a good charging etiquette, awareness of how to maintain battery health is also necessary and a policy that encourages charging set to 100% is counter to that.

A simple change: bump the idle charge grace 5 minutes to 15 minutes or 30 minutes, as the need may be, and most of these reasonable persons would be able to operate without punitive fees - while still retaining the deterrent against parking or forgetting about the car in the charger. As an added benefit, the idle charge could be boosted to a higher dollar amount as it would more accurately target actual abuse.

Isn't the actual abuse the problem with policy is trying to target? Not the guy overstaying 6 minutes, because the charge ended sooner than they could estimate. Why charge them anything, it just does not sound like a useful policy to me. 15 or 30 minutes simply sounds a more reasonable target range, when the target is a moving one.

Last edited:
There are some people here acting like there are many drivers who need to supercharge all day every day, and if staying too long, could place their financial futures in jeopardy, or cause a detrimental drop in EV sales due to a fear of an overbearing corporate policy. We are talking about a few bucks, a few times a year, and even then, only if you neglect to some back to your car in a timely fashion. Geez

Considering that only myself and @Ulmo have been recently active in this thread on the "cons" side of the pros and cons:

I think one thing that makes it so hard for some of us in this thread to understand each other is that there are individually practical ways of looking at this, and then there is the sort of wider social and policy assessing way of looking at this. I have completely ignored the former, while I think your point of you is pretty much based on this, so that is why we are not seeing eye to eye. It is understandable. As for @Ulmo's comment about financial jeopardy or whatever it was, I think that was in jest...

For me, I am assessing whether or not I think this policy is successful in being user-friendly for the average, reasonable person. It is also based on the notion that punitive fees should not go to average, reasonable users - and that no matter their monetary value, they are still in general disliked by average, reasonable users. That dislike has certain consumer satisfaction issues, no doubt, but that is not really my main point at this stage. I am merely discussing what would be good policy.

I have made my suggestions on the policy improvement here: Improving Supercharger Availability $0.40 idle fee #1187

For the vast majority of drivers, a range setting of 100% is not the rate limiting step in getting our cars moved; it is our ultimate destination and busy lives that dictate when we leave. For those few people who want/need to charge to 100%, taking the massive amount of time it takes to fill up, yet still manage to outstay the 5 minute grace period, let them pay the idle fee. Big. Frickin'. Whoop.

I agree, this is true. And IMO this is why this group should not face punitive idle charges, nor should it have to resort to using a detrimental charge percentage to avoid those punitive idle charges when using the system reasonably. We should not be recommending charging to 100% and then relying on people to remember to stop it in time, that's just a bad recommendation. Better IMO would be to make the policy such that nobody who reasonably uses the system ever gets punitive idle charges (which a $0.40/min is) for reasonable use.

You seem to suggest everyone should just set their charging to 100% and even if they still fail to be back within 5 minutes on completion (a time not known beforehand that can change, but granted easier to target due to 100%'s slow taper) then they deserve the fee. I think this argument falls flat on its face the moment the suggestion is made that charging should ever be set to 100% when not needed for range purposes... It is just a testament to the issue with this policy that such a bad recommendation needs to be made.

Were this any other thread, we would be not recommending moving the charge percentage slider to 100%. And that's IMO what a good and reasonable idle charge policy should support as well. We should be building a good and reasonable charging etiquette from all angles that the average, reasonable user can successfully use - this includes good EV maintenance etiquette IMO...

As far as changing the grace period, I would like to share a test I used to give to my Psych patients many years ago:
If all the crime on a subway occurs in the most rear car of the train, would removing that car result in a reduction of crime? It is amazing how many people answered yes.

Apples and oranges. Removing the last car of a train is not possible. However, changing the grace is actually very much possible. But I do grant you there is a comparable class of users in the idle charge scenario too, comparable to the last train car, so let me explain what I mean.

The thing is, (in my hypothesis at least) the failure to reach the charging car within 5 minutes of completion is not simply based on the notion that people will be late, no matter the deadline (some will, of course) - as would simply be the case with the rear most train car scenario (there will always be a rear most train car on a train).

What actually IMO makes many of them late is the fact that the deadline is ever-changing and that even the portion of people who would be on time, were the deadline constant, will have a hard time targeting an ever-changing deadline without sufficient grace.

Think of it this way - and please don't get bogged down on the illustrative numbers I used, hopefully the idea comes through though:

1) If we ask 100 people to come to a place at 12 o'clock (let's assume accurate watches), say, 70 of them will be there on time. Additional 10 will be there within 5 minutes. The last 20 is always late - the "last car of the train" - those we can't help, so for the moment let's forget about them. I agree any deadline will always have someone late.

2) If we now instead ask people to come to a place at an unknown time X (alternating between, say, 45-90 minutes from now), the number of people who will be there on time or within 5 minutes will be, say, 50. However, within 15-30 minutes, say, 30 more people will be there (not always the same people, I would expect the 50 and 30 groups to alternate between them). The last 20 will always be late and those people are beyond hope often.

This is the math that I'm thinking when suggesting improvements to the policy. It is those "30" people (just a made-up figure for illustrative purposes) that I think a better policy can genuinely help operate the system within parameters. Returning at an unknown time is hard and a reasonable grace is simply a reasonable thing to do when targeting an unpredictable time. Call it tolerance, even manfuacturers have them when aiming precisely is difficult. Even now Tesla does have a grace: 5 minutes. Talk (or even studying) of what grace is best and most reasonable seems certainly fair. I am of the opinion that the grace is too low to be reasonable.

The last "20" people we can't help anyway, but they are not reasonable users and they can pay. They are the last train car.

Finally, I know following the app (assuming cell service, a charged phone and app usage) or staying in the car can help in finding out what the unknown time might be. However, the estimates are bad/changing and accuracy requires constant monitoring as it can change, limiting its value for the whole group. It will of course help many people.

Even if you disagree with me on a reasonable grace (e.g. you think 5 minutes is reasonable and need not be changed), I should think this logic at least makes sense to you guys that a certain grace period is humanely reasonable given an unknown ending time? Yes?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I still have trouble wrapping my brain around people who can buy a $100,000.00 car bitching about 40 cents.

Just to be clear, given that I am the most vocal in the past few pages, I don't Supercharge often (not many chargers where I live), so I don't expect any idle charges.

I for one am discussing what I would find a good policy for the idle charges. I hope people can separate a theoretical discussion on good etiquette and policy from "bitching about 40 cents".

Also to correct the "40 cents", the minimum for a 1 minute overstay seems to be $2.40 for 6 minutes. But I am not bitching about two dollars 40 cents either. :)

Reactions: Rocky_H
Just to be clear, given that I am the most vocal in the past few pages, I don't Supercharge often (not many chargers where I live), so I don't expect any idle charges.

I for one am discussing what I would find a good policy for the idle charges. I hope people can separate a theoretical discussion on good etiquette and policy from "bitching about 40 cents".

Also to correct the "40 cents", the minimum for a 1 minute overstay seems to be $2.40 for 6 minutes. But I am not bitching about two dollars 40 cents either. :)
No, the minimum for a 1 minute overstay is 0. Same for a 5 minute overstay. That's what the grace period means. Charging doesn't start until there is a 6 minute overstay-- then you are charged for the six minutes at $2.40.

Huh, I've been catching up through the last several pages. @AnxietyRanger , I just wanted to say you are correct on all the things. Hitting the high points: Yes, being precise to within 5 minutes on a continually shifting moving target is tough. Also, lack of SMS notification doesn't help (I get no cellular data at Baker City, Oregon because roaming, but it's a usually empty one). And yes, encouraging the 100% trick to dodge fees kind of shows that this method isn't addressing who/what it is supposed to be addressing.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
No, the minimum for a 1 minute overstay is 0. Same for a 5 minute overstay. That's what the grace period means. Charging doesn't start until there is a 6 minute overstay-- then you are charged for the six minutes at $2.40.

@Ulmo reported his charges as in line with a $2.40 minimum, though. Have you received charges that show differently? I guess there is still some ambiguity there.

Huh, I've been catching up through the last several pages. @AnxietyRanger , I just wanted to say you are correct on all the things. Hitting the high points: Yes, being precise to within 5 minutes on a continually shifting moving target is tough. Also, lack of SMS notification doesn't help (I get no cellular data at Baker City, Oregon because roaming, but it's a usually empty one). And yes, encouraging the 100% trick to dodge fees kind of shows that this method isn't addressing who/what it is supposed to be addressing.

Thanks, so good to hear at least the logic that seems so apparent to me is visible to someone else too - maybe I'm not crazy. ;)

Don't have to agree with my conclusions of course, but I hope the idea behind my suggestions is apparent at least to some - just improvement suggestions to the policy...

@Ulmo reported his charges as in line with a $2.40 minimum, though. Have you received charges that show differently? I guess there is still some ambiguity there.
No ambiguity. The minimum charged is $2.40 (6 minutes) when there is a charge. However there is no charge until six minutes. If you return to the car during the 5 minute grace period there is no charge. That's why I said the charge for 1 minute over or 5 minutes over is zero.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
No ambiguity. The minimum charged is $2.40 (6 minutes) when there is a charge. However there is no charge until six minutes. If you return to the car during the 5 minute grace period there is no charge. That's why I said the charge for 1 minute over or 5 minutes over is zero.

OK. Maybe we misunderstood each other as that seems kind of an odd point to make when my point to @Snerruc was that the minimum charge is $2.40 and never 40 cents... so we seem to agree. :)

By 1 minute over I meant over grace.

bitching about 40 cents.

There is no 40 cents to bitch about. But to once more to be clear I am not bitching about the minimum charge of $2.40 either. :)

@AnxietyRanger , Yes, many of the points you make are valid. So are many of the points everyone else has made. The truth is, there is absolutely no way that a policy can be created that will satisfy everyone. In the end, Tesla came up with THIS particular policy, and in spite of whatever faults it may or may not have, it is sufficient for most of us to live with. I would even go as far as to say the vast majority of us, and as such, I would call that a success. Even with a "moving target" to end of charge, almost every reasonable person can make it back in time to avoid an idle fee, or if not, suffer a minimally inconvenient fee. It is a motivator that is not overly harsh. Remember, most people don't supercharge often, so the risk is that much smaller. Those who must supercharge often (locals without access) will understand the system and work with it.

Just to give my little 5¢ - I do agree with @AnxietyRanger that just 6 minutes until you have to pay for the idle charge is a bit short. But on the other hand, I think I saw you talking about up to 30 minutes? That seems a bit to long. 10-15 minutes seems to me to be just right. And don't start the clock at 1 minute, wait about 5-10 minutes until it starts ticking.

But on the other hand, I do not understand the crusade against they that set their charge to something more then they need to reach the next charger. They do say they anyway will move their cars before it's ends the charging, and I do agree that as long as the car is plugged in at a charger, and it is not fully charged (whenever you define "fully charged" as 80% or 100%) it should not have to stop the charging - idle charge or not. Any "extra" charge you get is more buffers on the trip and/or less time charging at the next station. And even if it gets fully charged at 100% - the car will anyway be leaving soon on a longer trip, so no harm done.

... and I do definitely not understand your bitching about Tesla earning money...