Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving Supercharger Availability $0.40 idle fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do get a "charging almost complete" message 10 or 15 minutes before charging is finished. Another 5 minutes grace period should be plenty of warning.
It's not a parking spot.
The whole idea behind the placement of the chargers is that you can go get something to eat or do some shopping. In many locales there's quite a distance one would have to walk. 15 minutes is a reasonable amount of time.

5 minutes is just too short of time. Should be 15 minutes.

No way. And the fee should be higher, it is too low.

I have sat waiting for inconsiderate Tesla drivers to come back and move their cars while there is a line. I have never not been there at the moment my car finished charging. The point of Supercharging isn't your dinner, your shopping, your overnight sleeping, nor your movie or whatever. The point is the fastest charge and move on so someone else can get the fastest charge.

I saw on Reddit and here that some people are worried about overnight hotel stays. The point I have been trying to make is that L3 DC is about charging now and charging fast. If you have 8 hours, charging should be slow... L2 AC. For Superchargers near or at hotels, they should still have J1772 or HPWC for overnight guests.

No way. And the fee should be higher, it is too low.

I have sat waiting for inconsiderate Tesla drivers to come back and move their cars while there is a line. I have never not been there at the moment my car finished charging. The point of Supercharging isn't your dinner, your shopping, your overnight sleeping, nor your movie or whatever. The point is the fastest charge and move on so someone else can get the fastest charge.

I saw on Reddit and here that some people are worried about overnight hotel stays. The point I have been trying to make is that L3 DC is about charging now and charging fast. If you have 8 hours, charging should be slow... L2 AC. For Superchargers near or at hotels, they should still have J1772 or HPWC for overnight guests.
+1, higher penalties might even help.

If you start back to the car when you get the charging almost complete message then you'll have at least 15 minutes
Most people I know do just that. In fact, so do I. When I am in a restaurant and the message arrives, I leave, move my car and then return. On occasion that is a trifle inconvenient. Not often because if one watches the time one always knows. The times are not surprises.
When in areas that have metered parking people commonly leave to "feed the meter" then return. How is this different? Oh, yes, it is different because other people might not be able to charge if we don't move our charged cars.
To object to this requires a certain amount of egotism does it not?

System is fine, but waive the fee if there are at least 1 (or 2) stalls open. If Tesla can't see that well enough to integrate it into the app, then the owner takes their chances, but the owner would have a pretty good idea of how busy that supercharger is anyway. Problem solved?
That introduces complexity and uncertainty. Don't confuse people.

Folks are talking like they have no idea when the supercharger session will be over. Like the only clue you get is when the app notifies you that charging is all done. The app and the car tell you from the beginning when your charge will be finished. Plan your lunch or dinner to coincide with the end of the charge. No surprises. No one should be surprised when the app notifies them that charging is almost done - it's all according to the plan.
Quit the yapping about why you can't move the car, and go move the car

You certainly have an idea, but there have been plenty of times that it finishes 10 or more minutes earlier or later than the original estimate. So now if you want to grab something to eat you also have to be constantly checking your phone on charge status so that you can jump up in the middle of your meal and take a 5-20 minute walk to unplug your car even though it is sitting at a completely empty charging station. This policy is short on common sense.

The gas station analogy falls flat. It takes about 5 minutes to fill up a gas tank but 30-70 minutes to fill up a battery. I don't mind standing around for 5 minutes filling up with gas but will typically have dinner while charging. Totally different scenarios.

If all stalls are full then I don't mind hiking back in the middle of dinner to move my car so someone else can charge. But doing so in the middle of dinner with my family when there are empty stalls is insane. And when this interrupts dinner for 20 minutes because it's a 15 minute hike to the car, for no good reason, is ludicrous.

This changes the dynamic of Tesla road trips. Road trips work now because charging and eating can largely overlap. Charging dictates a bit about where and when we stop but we make it work (though some of the restaurant options are rather lacking). This pushes it in to another realm if dinners are interrupted on top of it.

Fully agree. This should only be enforced if all stalls are full. Plus I think 15mins is more reasonable for the many reasons you have given. I have 2 kids, 10 and 12yrs old and if i ran out halfway through dinner the manager would think 1) I am abandoning my kids or 2) I am running out without paying :)

I wonder how this affects service centers. When I was there last week to pick up my car, they told me it was ready and charged at the SuperCharger. They either have to retrain their employees to move the cars or owners will incur surcharges, or make accommodations when car is in service.

The immediate enforcement of this policy is surprising given that a majority of SuperChargers are underutilized. This is perhaps to get people into the habit of disconnecting immediately. It would be nice to see if charges are actually incurred for very low use SuperChargers. Volunteers? Given how this his already gone into effect, can anyone give insight if this has affected the busiest SuperChargers?

IMG_3063.jpg

Hmmmm

Well we were promised a solution.

Plus, it came within days rather than months, which for those of us familiar with Tesla-time is kinda shocking :)

Not sure if it's the optimum solution but at least it should help to pay for future maintenance/installation.