Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving Supercharger Availability $0.40 idle fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK guys, I've had enough. I am unsubscribing from this thread. The reactivation of this thread was interesting for a few minutes when someone posted the billing above, but everything else since was a rehash of the same, may I even go far as to say, stupid arguments. If any new and interesting information arrives here, perhaps one of you excellent contributors here could do the courtesy of sending me a PM ......snip......
sorry if someone anoyed you - but;
1) are there really people here who - when others are off put, that if /when someone leaves ... they'd take the time to read through threads to see if the content might now meet the 'superior' readers' tastes that have "abandoned ship" - so-to-speak ... in hopes of bringing them back?
2) why do some people on various boards feel compelled to let the world know that they are leaving, when the topic material doesn't meet their "standard" .... weather they branded it as stupid, boring, non-interesting etc.

It appears that no free supercharging credit is included with the new Model 3. Model 3 Reservations FAQ

upload_2017-7-29_13-33-1.png

Called it right when it was first announced that M☰ will have supercharging enabled by default :cool:. This was even before there was any talk for any fee for surpercharging for Model S.
OMG - Supercharging standard in all Model 3's - wowsers

(Although just noticed that I had a critical typo in the post - "It is not going to be one time payment for life." - but I hope readers can figure that from the next sentence)

Idle fees just went up... Tesla increases Supercharger idle fees to decrease wait times

The automaker has now updated it to make it both more lenient when the stations are not seeing high usage and more aggressive if they are full. Starting now, the fee is going up to $0.50 per minute if a station is at least 50% full. If the station is 100% full, the fee goes up to US$1 per minute: Country Currency Idle fee (per minute) Idle fee (per minute) when the station is 100% occupied
  • United States $0.50 / $1.00
  • Canada CAD $0.65 / $1.30

Idle fees just went up... Tesla increases Supercharger idle fees to decrease wait times

The automaker has now updated it to make it both more lenient when the stations are not seeing high usage and more aggressive if they are full. Starting now, the fee is going up to $0.50 per minute if a station is at least 50% full. If the station is 100% full, the fee goes up to US$1 per minute: Country Currency Idle fee (per minute) Idle fee (per minute) when the station is 100% occupied
  • United States $0.50 / $1.00
  • Canada CAD $0.65 / $1.30

I consider this good news.

It means that for Tesla the Superchargers are a challenge not with regard to the cost of the electricity delivered, but with regard to their accessibility.

This in turn gives me reason to think that Tesla will reinstate the free, unlimited(*) Supercharger access for European sales, until the number of Teslas per supercharger increases until it is within some fraction of the US number.

(*) limits apply, e.g. no SC idling...

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I went to check to see where that statement comes from:
"The automaker has now updated it to make it both more lenient when the stations are not seeing high usage and more aggressive if they are full."

Apparently Fred Lambert, the author of that Electrek article, is the idiot who thinks raising the idle fee from 40 cents to 50 cents is being "more lenient". What kind of 1984 newspeak B.S. is that? It's not more lenient. It's more aggressive and a lot more aggressive.

"The automaker has now updated it to make it both more lenient when the stations are not seeing high usage and more aggressive if they are full."

Apparently Fred Lambert, the author of that Electrek article, is the idiot who thinks raising the idle fee from 40 cents to 50 cents is being "more lenient". What kind of 1984 newspeak B.S. is that? It's not more lenient. It's more aggressive and a lot more aggressive.
Nevertheless this is a welcome change, long overdue..

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911 and KJD
I think educating and remind people will go a long way. It would be helpful if the car would display a message when plugging in at a Supercharger reminding the driver that it's a charging station, not a parking spot and to move their car when done charging. Same with idle fees. As soon as you plug in the car should remind the driver about those fees should the station become busy (or is already busy).

Reactions: KJD
I think educating and remind people will go a long way. It would be helpful if the car would display a message when plugging in at a Supercharger reminding the driver that it's a charging station, not a parking spot and to move their car when done charging. Same with idle fees. As soon as you plug in the car should remind the driver about those fees should the station become busy (or is already busy).

Unless it is a one time message, many will consider it a nag.

The screen on my father's car (Honda) shows a message warning that using the screen while driving can be distracting, and can result in accident - every time the car is started. There is an OK button that needs to be pressed before the touch screen can be used.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

Also for those looking for a proper source other than Electrek the URL is Supercharger Idle Fee vs the archive version of https://web.archive.org/web/20161219024340/https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharger-idle-fee

I feel sorry for the misinformed that go to Eletrek expecting clear and accurate information.

Last edited:
I still would like to know if anything can be done about Tesla employees loading the supercharger. This is what most often makes the Dedham SC over 50% full. I can only imagine it getting worse as Model 3 deliveries continue to ramp up, and I'm sure they're under a lot of pressure to get them through.

When we had that wide-spread power outage earlier this year, a lot of us were relying on the SC; and the service center was still charging deliveries on it as the queue grew. "That one ought to be done soon..." pointing at a car with no plate.