Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsistent Summon behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the basic question is easy - How exactly does Summon (on a communication level) function?

And here’s the longer version of that. I have parking in an underground garage where I live. This serves a total of four buildings with 28 units in total, each with 8 per. When the electrician installed the cable for the 400v, 3-phase, 32A wallbox we also pulled two strands of cat-7 cable (one for the callbox, one for a wireless access point, about 54m). I have two parking spaces, the wallbox being right in the middle of the two; the access point is about 60cm to the right. I really want to use summon to back the car into my parking space, as with the other car being a Mercedes Viano it’s a tight fit.

Getting the car out via summon works, on average, 1 in 6 times. With the iPhone app I make a connection to the car, then tell summon to move it forward. A majority of the time it moves 5 to 10 cm, then stops saying it has lost the connection to the car. I have to then reconnect and repeat. Needless to say, this is most annoying. There is absolutely no cellular data connection in the parking garage, only network via the AP that I have installed (both car and iPhone).

The other variation is that the app says that the phone cannot be located. Given the several thousand tons of concrete and rebar between me and the blue sky (I need to pul out approximately 70 meters to get out of the garage), this is understandable. But then it would be reasonable to ask - if the car and the app are on the same subnet, could the app not surmise that it is fairly close to the car? If not this, then why not a bluetooth connection between the summon functionality via the app and the car?

Pulling in to the garage is a different story. I can line up in front my my parking spot, get out and tell summon to back in. This usually works flawlessly.

Can anyone offer any insight/thoughts/improvements?

I think there is a safety measure that makes sure your phone and your car are in close proximity. I can only assume it uses your phone's GPS and your car's GPS, neither of which will have signals in your garage.

I agree that the keyfob is likely to be more useful since it wouldn't need GPS.

The fob is your friend. Way less hassle than connecting to the app. Hold down on the top until the car starts making a binging noise and blinkers start blinking, then click on the frunk or the trunk depending on which direction you want the car to go.