Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incorrect temperature reported?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
For a while now we've suspected that our X was reporting an inflated temperature via the app and dash. Today I was able to confirm. Both the X and S were in the garage, and the X was reporting 14 degrees higher temp than the S. Anyone notice similar?

I just checked. In my garage (on a hot day), the S reported 81 degrees, and the X reported 86. My wife had the X out today and got back about 3 hours ago - it's possible it was still exhausting some heat. Certainly not 14 degrees, though.

Umm...I think it reports cabin temperature and not temperature outside. And if if is 90 outside, it is very much likely that inside a cabin that is shut, the temperature would be in 110s.
Also, likely with the big windshield, Model X is getting more heat inside compared to Model S and thus difference in cabin temperatures reported by the two.

Yes, I have seen this. It showed 113 the other day after being parked outside. It was only 100. My experience with the S previously was that it was only slightly high on temp in similar situations. Not by 10+ degrees like the X showed.

I did have this the other day..
IMG_1997.jpg

Umm...I think it reports cabin temperature and not temperature outside. And if if is 90 outside, it is very much likely that inside a cabin that is shut, the temperature would be in 110s.
Also, likely with the big windshield, Model X is getting more heat inside compared to Model S and thus difference in cabin temperatures reported by the two.

That's possible outside, but that wouldn't explain it happening in the garage (nose in, so windshield away from the sun)

I have seen what I thought to be an exaggerated interior temp too. Car was in garage out of sun in Minnesota, might have been a little warm, but was reading 98F. Didn't have an independent reading, but this is likely high.

Let's put a thermometer in the car say in the space between the two front seats and compare the readings between what the car is reporting and the thermometer shows rather than making guesses.
I think @AnOutsider is talking about the outside temperature reading, which is the one on the IC. The fact that he has two Teslas in the same conditions, reporting a 14 degree variance.. well, it appears to be an issue. Mine were closer but the X was still reading higher.

Reactions: AnOutsider
I think @AnOutsider is talking about the outside temperature reading, which is the one on the IC. The fact that he has two Teslas in the same conditions, reporting a 14 degree variance.. well, it appears to be an issue. Mine were closer but the X was still reading higher.
I once asked this question to my Mercedes and Lexus service advisors and their opinion was that outside temperature showing on the dash is dependent upon several factors mainly placement of the thermometer, road conditions and airflow around it. In my experience there was always a 6-10 degrees variance from actual temperatures depending upon how hot the day was..hotter the day more the variance and definitely higher on concrete highways than black tops.
Also, I don't believe the Tesla app shows outside temps.

I once asked this question to my Mercedes and Lexus service advisors and their opinion was that outside temperature showing on the dash is dependent upon several factors mainly placement of the thermometer, road conditions and airflow around it. In my experience there was always a 6-10 degrees variance from actual temperatures depending upon how hot the day was..hotter the day more the variance and definitely higher on concrete highways than black tops.
Also, I don't believe the Tesla app shows outside temps.

The issue here is no one is talking about the variance between outside and inside the car. It's always different. A given.

Two Teslas in the same conditions reporting different temps is another story though. Whether they are reporting outside temperature, inside temperature, or some other value, what I'm noticing is that one car is consistently reporting higher than the other in the SAME conditions. So, is the X reporting inside vs outside? vice versa? Using a completely different method?

Whatever it's reporting, it's off, as it rarely accurately reflects the outdoor temp or how the cabin feels, whereas I always felt the Model S came close.

@AnOutsider - you misunderstood me..intention was not to compare outside vs inside. I was responding to @ohmman who believed that OPs question was related to outside temperature and not the interior temperature. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

And while I agree that two cars standing next to each other in same environmental conditions would ideally report the same (within a couple of degrees) temperature reading. The inside temperature reading on each car is subject to being different due to many more factors such as different size of cabin, different roof, seals, etc.

Reactions: AnOutsider