Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infinite Mile Battery Warranty [Now] Being Honored By Tesla [Issue Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting thread. I think folks here have made it pretty clear: if Tesla says there is only battery degration, but no battery/BMS failure, and you can’t prove there is, then no reason they should replace it for free.

What they did for other “youtubers” could be due to various of reasons: PR, data collection, etc. Them being super nice to some customers doesn’t mean they HAVE to be super nice to everyone, especially considering OP has already received tremendous warranty benefit.

OP mentioned that they offer to trade in the car. Why don’t OP take advantage of the offer (be sure to negotiate a good price), and recent price cut, to get into a new tesla? Then spend your valuable time living your life / exploring the world / driving your tesla :) wouldn’t it be better?

Interesting thread. I think folks here have made it pretty clear: if Tesla says there is only battery degration, but no battery/BMS failure, and you can’t prove there is, then no reason they should replace it for free.

What they did for other “youtubers” could be due to various of reasons: PR, data collection, etc. Them being super nice to some customers doesn’t mean they HAVE to be super nice to everyone, especially considering OP has already received tremendous warranty benefit.

OP mentioned that they offer to trade in the car. Why don’t OP take advantage of the offer (be sure to negotiate a good price), and recent price cut, to get into a new tesla? Then spend your valuable time living your life / exploring the world / driving your tesla :) wouldn’t it be better?
I guess the lesson here is become a popular Tesla youtuber with a lot of following. Otherwise Tesla will screw you over because you are a nobody to them.

I guess the lesson here is become a popular Tesla youtuber with a lot of following. Otherwise Tesla will screw you over because you are a nobody to them.

Nobody was screwed over because the OP's battery had gradual degradation which is clearly not covered by the warranty. There was no sudden failure (or if there was, it wasn't described here). By his own admission the range has been declining for years.

If he feels he was "screwed over" there is a free process to deal with that. It's warranty arbitration through an unbiased, neutral third party. The OP doesn't want to do that and I'm not surprised because, after hearing all the evidence the arbitor would almost certainly conclude it's not covered by warranty. Plus, Tesla would be able to submit their side of the story (which we haven't heard yet except via hearsay from the OP). The process for dealing with warranty disputes is detailed here:

NCDS - Auto FAQ

Nobody was screwed over because the OP's battery had gradual degradation which is clearly not covered by the warranty. There was no sudden failure (or if there was, it wasn't described here). By his own admission the range has been declining for years.

How do you a sudden drop on range of 9% after the car had been at Tesla and the BMS had be recalibrated?

I have been a loyal Tesla owner since 2013. My family currently owns a 2012 Tesla Model S 85, 2016 Tesla Model X 90 and just most recently purchased a 2018 Model S 100. The most important reason we continue to purchase from Tesla is the infinite mile battery and power train warranty.

My 2012 Tesla Model S was purchased in 2013 and therefore the warranty doesn't expire until 2021. Tesla has replaced the power train 3 different times since 2013 for the Model S without any problems in honoring the warranty. In January of 2019 we broke down on the side of the highway with 16 miles left on the range indicator and only 139 miles on the current trip being taking. The only warning the car gave me at that time was "battery very low, needs charging" once we had broken down. I had been having problems for years with the decreasing battery range and Tesla just saying it is degradation or the way I drive it. I drive all of the vehicles the same. The only difference is the amount of miles the 2012 actually gets when driving. The battery capacity was getting around 175 miles per trip charge before the most recent break down. Tesla is not wavering on not replacing the battery. The Houston North service center actually responded that the warranty clearly states degradation isn't covered. My argument was this is clearly more than degradation but they said this is what upper management has told me to say. I told them that i have read in other articles that batteries have been replaced for the same issues that I am having but the response I got was still they would not replace the battery. I asked how low the battery has to get for them to honor the warranty and the response i got was if it isn't a hardware issue that they wouldn't replace the battery. I responded by saying so the car could get down to 50 miles of battery range and you could say it is just degradation. The response was, “yes”.

I desperately would appreciate any suggestions to get Tesla to honor the warranty and to warn others about Tesla's new policy on battery replacement.

*Content edited by moderator to make it more legible and eliminate the "all caps"

I have the same problem. 180k miles and my 100% charge “shows” 230 miles on the screen but I’ll be lucky to get 150-160 miles going from 100% to 0%. And mine shut down at 7 miles rated range displaying. Tesla also tells me that this is normal and my battery pack is fine despite the numerous times I keep telling them range seems really wrong and something must be wrong.

I have the same problem. 180k miles and my 100% charge “shows” 230 miles on the screen but I’ll be lucky to get 150-160 miles going from 100% to 0%. And mine shut down at 7 miles rated range displaying. Tesla also tells me that this is normal and my battery pack is fine despite the numerous times I keep telling them range seems really wrong and something must be wrong.

Let me guess - you are upset about this but you don't want to put Tesla's feet to the fire by taking them to warranty arbitration?

230 miles at 100% can be normal degradation. Not getting those 230 miles in also normal, because of the way Tesla calculates range. When you say you only get 150-160 miles you also have to supply the info about energy consumption. Higher than rated energy consumption will lead to reduced rangeand has nothing to do with a bad battery.

So I brought my Tesla in this morning to receive my new set of wheels and tires from Tesla’s referral program. Thanks to Tesla for those. They look amazing!!!!
The really great news is that the service manager instructed me that they have found a fault in the battery and will be replacing it.
I wanted to thank all of those who have provided helpful information during this ordeal. The original post that I put up was for that kind of helpful information and not the multiple people who tried to belittle me and what my family has been through.
Thanks again to Tesla for honoring the infinite mile battery warranty!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I brought my Tesla in this morning to receive my new set of wheels and tires from Tesla’s referral program. Thanks to Tesla for those. They look amazing!!!!
The really great news is that the service manager instructed me that they have found a fault in the battery and will be replacing it.
I wanted to thank all of those who have provided helpful information during this ordeal. The original post that I put up was for that kind of helpful information and not the multiple people who tried to belittle me and what my family has been through. To those of you who did do that I have only have one statement for you - “I HOPE YOU ENJOY BEING A TROLL”

Awesome!
I'm glad they did the right thing and that you're getting the battery replaced.

Reactions: HMARTINPT
I wanted to thank all of those who have provided helpful information during this ordeal. The original post that I put up was for that kind of helpful information and not the multiple people who tried to belittle me and what my family has been through. To those of you who did do that I have only have one statement for you - “I HOPE YOU ENJOY BEING A TROLL”
I never really thought that Tesla wouldn't honor the warranty, they just (understandably) needed to be sure that replacement was truly needed. I had figured that if there really was a fault, that it would show itself sooner or later. Glad you didn't have to get stranded again to get this resolved.

I wanted to thank all of those who have provided helpful information during this ordeal. The original post that I put up was for that kind of helpful information and not the multiple people who tried to belittle me and what my family has been through.

So glad you got the issue resolved!! I have been in that situation before and it is very, very frustrating.

@StealthP3D Looks like Tesla did find a fault in the battery after all. Good news for the OP