Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Influence AP lane position in 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed on my drive home that I could persuade AP to drift to one or the other side of the lane tonight, just by applying a firm amount of pressure on the steering wheel; a strong persistent pull but not quite enough to cancel auto steer. I could even convince the car to drift into a lane it hadn't recognised on the IC.

One of the requests in the TMC feature poll for 7.1 was for a way to 'trim' the car within the lane. I'm going to play around with this over the weekend, but maybe I've stumbled on just this feature. I don't recall being able to do this in 7.0

I noticed on my drive home that I could persuade AP to drift to one or the other side of the lane tonight, just by applying a firm amount of pressure on the steering wheel; a strong persistent pull but not quite enough to cancel auto steer. I could even convince the car to drift into a lane it hadn't recognised on the IC.

One of the requests in the TMC feature poll for 7.1 was for a way to 'trim' the car within the lane. I'm going to play around with this over the weekend, but maybe I've stumbled on just this feature. I don't recall being able to do this in 7.0
The question becomes how it handles it, is this just a matter of you can force it over and it automatically springs back when you let go? or do you move it over and it stays until the road changes? the former could be dangerous, the later would be great.

This is true, 7.1 allows for much more correction without disengaging autopilot... I can actually steer the car into the other lane, and Autopilot will still be tracking the previous lane... If I let go of the wheel it will jerk back over to the other lane I was previously in...

7.1 definitely allows for more correction than 7.0

Right, ... Are you setting the AP's off-center bias, or are you just
temporarily overriding the autopilot's control?
In either case, thanks.

if feels elastic and will return to the Autosteers' preference when I let go. I can see this being useful for temporarily giving myself more clearance to big trucks in narrow lanes or smoothing out tighter long curves on the motorway.

What's so weird (after a few days driving 7.1) is that on some trips the car will consistently place itself fairly well in the center of the lane.
And the next day, during the same commute, it will hug the right edge so that it's frightening and I constantly turn it off.
Definitely not consistent for me

Mine definitely now biases to the right of the lane on a two lane road. I haven't noticed it on the highway yet. But I've only had it since Wed. At first it was a bit disconcerting to me. But I guess I would prefer to be a bit farther from the opposing traffic than the side of the road. I tend to do that normally when on the highway. I plant myself in the left lane and stay to the left, as I am always wanting to be the fastest on the road and I like not having cars on both sides.