Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ingenext Boost Modules [aftermarket]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any long term reviews from LR AWD 980 owners who went ahead with the Ghost upgrade? Well aware of the performance gains, but more of the day to day life of having it (software updates, removing module for service, module keeping car awake, etc). Seeing if I want to pull the trigger soon, or just be safe and wait until 8 year/120k warranty is up.
I've had it for about half a year, no issues so far with daily driving. Only thing to remember is to check their website to make sure latest Tesla update is safe to install, which ALL of them have been so far. I have not needed service of any kind, so have not removed the module at all.

Do the Ingenext modules keep the car awake all the time? I haven't paid enough attention to mine since install...
I have not noticed any difference in my car waking/sleeping since Ghost.

i wonder if theres anyone in the bay area doing this?
The install is really straight forward and not complicated. The only thing is the area the module plugs into is very limited in space. Patience and smaller hands are helpful.

• Informative
Reactions: El joe
Hey guys,

I have a Oct 18 AWD, been thinking of the Ghost, but I already have the $2k performance boost from Tesla. Even though it's a sunk cost, this has discouraged me as the $2k I already spent would be a waste. If I just had waited a couple of months, I could have saved that money!

However, hear me out on this.

From reading, the $2k Tesla performance boost is front motor only, right? So the front is already upgraded? So don't I only need to upgrade my rear motor?

The SR boost from Ingenext is a LOT cheaper and for the 980 rear motor only, right?

So supposing I just bought the SR boost upgrade and plugged into my AWD, could that potentially just upgrade my rear motor firmware, and effectively give me improved performance for a much lower price?

Hey guys,

I have a Oct 18 AWD, been thinking of the Ghost, but I already have the $2k performance boost from Tesla. Even though it's a sunk cost, this has discouraged me as the $2k I already spent would be a waste. If I just had waited a couple of months, I could have saved that money!

However, hear me out on this.

From reading, the $2k Tesla performance boost is front motor only, right? So the front is already upgraded? So don't I only need to upgrade my rear motor?

The SR boost from Ingenext is a LOT cheaper and for the 980 rear motor only, right?

So supposing I just bought the SR boost upgrade and plugged into my AWD, could that potentially just upgrade my rear motor firmware, and effectively give me improved performance for a much lower price?
No. That’s just not how it works. The boost you pay from Tesla is essentially a software unlock on the car that matches the boosted config to a preset version of the track mode form the P model. The only reason why performance is not aligned with the P model is so that people would still want an actual P.

The MPP partybox/Ingenext does essentially the same thing. The SR box will not work on the AWD and vice versa. You need the AWD Ingenext box (which is in beta) or MPP’s partybox to turn your LR into a P stealth model.

Also technically the boxes voids the warranty and may stop working anytime due to a Tesla software update whereas the Tesla boost will always work and be supported by Tesla warranty wise.

Besides, unless you are going to the race track regularly, differences between a boosted LR and a P are very very small.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
No. That’s just not how it works. The boost you pay from Tesla is essentially a software unlock on the car that matches the boosted config to a preset version of the track mode form the P model. The only reason why performance is not aligned with the P model is so that people would still want an actual P.

The MPP partybox/Ingenext does essentially the same thing. The SR box will not work on the AWD and vice versa. You need the AWD Ingenext box (which is in beta) or MPP’s partybox to turn your LR into a P stealth model.

Also technically the boxes voids the warranty and may stop working anytime due to a Tesla software update whereas the Tesla boost will always work and be supported by Tesla warranty wise.

Besides, unless you are going to the race track regularly, differences between a boosted LR and a P are very very small.

I don't understand why people keep saying that a boosted LR and P are small when the difference between a boost and unboosted LR is the same difference as a Performance vs. boosted LR? Half second in 0-60 and half second in the quarter mile separate unboosted, boosted, and Performance. If someone considers half second is small, then why even get the boosted?

Reactions: LionXng
I don't understand why people keep saying that a boosted LR and P are small when the difference between a boost and unboosted LR is the same difference as a Performance vs. boosted LR? Half second in 0-60 and half second in the quarter mile separate unboosted, boosted, and Performance. If someone considers half second is small, then why even get the boosted?
Of you are not a racer, your reaction time is much more significant than the actual technical difference so for that user case boosted vs P is equal. Furthermore, the rated P performance is with the 1 foot rollout subtracted so the actual technical difference between P and boosted LR is smaller than “advertised”. If you are a racer, that difference matters a lot. If not, not that much.

EDIT difference between boosted LR and P is smaller than difference between unboost and boost LR

Of you are not a racer, your reaction time is much more significant than the actual technical difference so for that user case boosted vs P is equal. Furthermore, the rated P performance is with the 1 foot rollout subtracted so the actual technical difference between P and boosted LR is smaller than “advertised”. If you are a racer, that difference matters a lot. If not, not that much.

EDIT difference between boosted LR and P is smaller than difference between unboost and boost LR

The absolute fastest i've seen a Performance run is 3s flat (2.99) 0-60 and 11.3 in the quarter mile. The absolute fastest i've seen a Boosted LR is 0-60 in 3.5 and 11.7 in the quarter mile. The fastest LR i've seen is 0-60 in 4 flat and 12.1 in the quarter mile. They are all within roughly half seconds of each other at their best.

Also, its much harder to get from 4 flat to 3.5s flat than it is to get 3.5 to 3s flat. I bet there is a noticeably bigger difference in hp between a Performance vs. Boosted LR than a Boosted LR than an unboosted LR.

Also consider that a Boosted LR will be about as fast a C63 AMG and M3 in most situations (and probably faster with high SoC). Thats pretty good company but a Performance would spank them pretty good :D

The absolute fastest i've seen a Performance run is 3s flat (2.99) 0-60 and 11.3 in the quarter mile. The absolute fastest i've seen a Boosted LR is 0-60 in 3.5 and 11.7 in the quarter mile. The fastest LR i've seen is 0-60 in 4 flat and 12.1 in the quarter mile. They are all within roughly half seconds of each other at their best.

Also, its much harder to get from 4 flat to 3.5s flat than it is to get 3.5 to 3s flat. I bet there is a noticeably bigger difference in hp between a Performance vs. Boosted LR than a Boosted LR than an unboosted LR.

Also consider that a Boosted LR will be about as fast a C63 AMG and M3 in most situations (and probably faster with high SoC). Thats pretty good company but a Performance would spank them pretty good :D
Did they all have the same wheels when benchmarking? Was there any mechanism to remove driver’s reaction time to the measurements (like a sample of multiple tryouts across multiple drivers)?

Again, if you are *NOT a racer*, that half second is of the order of your untrained reaction time which will not make a significant difference for daily driving.

Did they all have the same wheels when benchmarking? Was there any mechanism to remove driver’s reaction time to the measurements (like a sample of multiple tryouts across multiple drivers)?

Again, if you are *NOT a racer*, that half second is of the order of your untrained reaction time which will not make a significant difference for daily driving.

Youtube has a ton of drag races on each of those cars and reaction times don't matter for a timed 0-60 or quarter mile run. Reaction times only matter when winning races against other cars...not the timing of the runs.

You just validated my point...why does the boost matter if all you get is half second? You yourself said there is little difference between a Performance vs. Boost. If you think the roughly half second difference between the Performance and Boost is a "very little difference," then why get the Boost at all because all you get from the Boost is a half second difference vs. the Unboosted? Just trying to sort out the logic.

Reaction time has no impact whatsoever on either 0-60 or 1/4 mile ETs.

Ugh why are you not hearing my point? Racer = P the best. Not a racer = probably not that critical.

I never said P = boosted LR. I said that unless you are racing the difference is insignificant. Suppose you are never going to a race track. You probably won’t notice a difference between a boosted LR and a P.

Let imagine that you are never racing the car and are not an experienced racer. You will probably feel that a boosted LR is similar to a P.

Although a P is faster, if you never race the car, a boosted LR will be very similar to a P since the differences are small.

Etc.

Ugh why are you not hearing my point? Racer = P the best. Not a racer = probably not that critical.

I never said P = boosted LR. I said that unless you are racing the difference is insignificant. Suppose you are never going to a race track. You probably won’t notice a difference between a boosted LR and a P.

Let imagine that you are never racing the car and are not an experienced racer. You will probably feel that a boosted LR is similar to a P.

Although a P is faster, if you never race the car, a boosted LR will be very similar to a P since the differences are small.

Etc.
You know that the MPP partybox and the ingenext module are not even close to the same thing, right? You spout these things you hold to be true, but don’t quite know what you’re talking about. May want to take the L and sit on the sidelines.

Reactions: Theraven
You know that the MPP partybox and the ingenext module are not even close to the same thing, right? You spout these things you hold to be true, but don’t quite know what you’re talking about. May want to take the L and sit on the sidelines.
Man are some of you both easliy distracted and unable to read.

"Not OP OP" asks: Can I get the SR ingenext module added to the Tesla software boost to get more performance. I believe the answer is no. Yes I am aware that the partybox != ingenext module. I never said they were the same.

Again and again and again my point is unless you are racing the car (in which case you would probably look at getting improved suspension, better wheels and other modifications that would make a "boosted" LR more similar to a P) the difference between a P and a Telsa boosted LR is small enough in practice to not be significant. If you think that is not the case, please address that specifically rather than strawmanning my position.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Man are some of you both easliy distracted and unable to read.

"Not OP OP" asks: Can I get the SR ingenext module added to the Tesla software boost to get more performance. I believe the answer is no. Yes I am aware that the partybox != ingenext module. I never said they were the same.

Again and again and again my point is unless you are racing the car (in which case you would probably look at getting improved suspension, better wheels and other modifications that would make a "boosted" LR more similar to a P) the difference between a P and a Telsa boosted LR is small enough in practice to not be significant. If you think that is not the case, please address that specifically rather than strawmanning my position.
Do you even understand what the partybox does? Because it seems like you don’t.

the P has track mode, and is a quicker car. Your diatribe about the boosted LR and P not being much different is asinine.

Etc.

I completely understand your point. You are missing my point. On the street, you are saying that a boosted LR is similar feeling to a P. What i'm saying is that if you can't tell the difference between a boosted LR and a P, you will not be able to tell the difference between a normal LR and a boosted LR on the street. There is a BIGGER difference in feeling between a boosted LR and a P than there is between a normal LR and a boosted LR.

The only difference between the 3 cars is in the first 60mph. The P feels FAR MORE VIOLENT in the first 60mph than the other 2 cars. You can tell the boost is still holding the car back when you launch it and feel its a subtle difference between boost and normal. The P feels like you'll snap the axle off when it launches and the car doesn't have any overhead left in terms of performance. At this point, half my friends have Model 3s in California so its stupid easy to test all this back to back to back.

I completely understand your point. You are missing my point. On the street, you are saying that a boosted LR is similar feeling to a P. What i'm saying is that if you can't tell the difference between a boosted LR and a P, you will not be able to tell the difference between a normal LR and a boosted LR on the street. There is a BIGGER difference in feeling between a boosted LR and a P than there is between a normal LR and a boosted LR.

The only difference between the 3 cars is in the first 60mph. The P feels FAR MORE VIOLENT in the first 60mph than the other 2 cars. You can tell the boost is still holding the car back when you launch it and feel its a subtle difference between boost and normal. The P feels like you'll snap the axle off when it launches and the car doesn't have any overhead left in terms of performance. At this point, half my friends have Model 3s in California so its stupid easy to test all this back to back to back.
Got it. Yeah

(moderator note: for some reason, this particular thread gets somewhat "heated" from time to time. This is a reminder that disagreements are fine, and pointing out differences of opinion, or incorrect statements also fine.... but attacking someone or putting them down because there is a disagreement, or they made a mistake, is "not fine". There are some recent statements that go 'riiiggghhhhtttt up to the line, but dont "quite" go over.

This is a request to dial it down a notch, and if there is a disagreement discuss that, not the person.

Thanks)

Last edited:

An earlier post says that the Tesla boost is front motor only and another earlier post says that the AWD Ingenext upgrade is rear only. If these are both true, it stands to reason that maybe the SR upgrade might add performance to an already boosted AWD.

So are you saying these earlier posts are not correct?

I don't think the difference is small, as a friend has a P and he let me drive it. 0-60 the difference is astonishing. at higher speeds, I don't notice much difference though.

An earlier post says that the Tesla boost is front motor only and another earlier post says that the AWD Ingenext upgrade is rear only. If these are both true

Well, I mean- the Ingenext SR upgrade being RWD only is "true" in that all it's doing is flashing the SR RWD vehicle to think it's an LR RWD car....

But that'd conflict with the Boost upgrade, that changes BOTH RWD and FWD behavior in an AWD car... (and the cheaper Ingenex upgrade just copies this same boost code)

You can't apply both to the same car.

Boost specifically changes:

Front motor peak power increased from 139.5 kW to 175.5 kW (+25.8%) and peak torque increased from 185.5 Nm to 232.25 Nm (+25.2%)

Rear motor peak power decreased from 231 kW to 221 kW (-4.3%) while peak torque increased from 318.5 Nm to 333 Nm (+4.5%)

If you want more than boost from a LR AWD car you'll need to go with the Ghost upgrade, that tells the car it's a P. (and the potential warranty voiding concerns that might raise for you)

Again how big a difference is relative.

See chart attached

LRAWD2.png

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
Thanks, that answers the question to my satisfaction, I will get the ghost. I am not worried about warranty issues and the car is paid off. I just have one last question. I am finding conflicting info about software updates with the kit.

Some are saying every Tesla software update reverts the car back to standard AWD and you need to have Ingenext do a remote update on your car again. Some are saying that you are safe to update as long as you check their site to see. Which is it?

I don't actually know if I have the 980 or 990 motor as mine is missing the plate (though it has a 10/18 build date), so will be getting out my flexible borescope, crawling under the car and seeing if I can see the tag on the top.