Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

InsideEVs: Key Fob free to current owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just out of curiosity, have we gotten any extra confirmation (beside Elon's tweet), that these will be free for current owners? I keep seeing in v 2018.42 that they are "available for purchase".
Over a month ago, in post #11 in this thread, I wrote this:
Quote from the InsideEVs article: “Tesla has confirmed that the key fob will be included with future Model 3 purchases (no exact timeline was provided, aside from “when available“). But the bigger bit of news is that existing Model 3 owners will be able to get the key fob for free upon request. This means that current owners who’ve yearned for a fob will be able to receive one at no cost. Again, no specific timeline has been provided to us in regards to availability, so we suggest you reach out to your Tesla contacts to obtain more details.” (End quote)

I would not assume that is true just because an anonymous writer at InsideEVs says it is. Find me an official statement from Tesla (not from an employee in a Tesla showroom or Service Center) and I’ll believe it.

So far, I have not seen anything from Tesla indicating that a Model 3 key fob will be free to current owners or included with the car at no cost. All I have seen is a statement from Tesla saying that Model 3 key fobs will be available for purchase. Yet some people keep posting in this thread about how Tesla is going to give out Model 3 fobs for free. But that is not happening.

Does anyone know what the cryptography security level of these new model 3 key fobs will be? e.g. if they're only 40 bit encryption I don't want one. OTH, if it's 512 bits or 1024 bits then I would want one. If it's 128 bits, likely not, if 256 bits, I might consider.....

• Funny
Reactions: Hank42
iPhone works flawlessly in left pocket, doesn't even have to be on the 'side' closest to the car. That said, my VW had a keyless entry proximity fob that ALSO worked flawlessly, glad Tesla's giving us the option to carry a fob.

I agree, if it doesn't work perfectly 100% of the time it's useless. Nobody wants to stand by their car yanking on the handle for 5 seconds before finally fumbling around for a wallet to remove a keycard to press against the pillar.

Getting used to the 3 version (vs my X) and I actually like it as I don’t have to worry about nearby phones making the lights flash or unfolding the mirrors, etc. That was one reason for the fob and so far with two iPhone XS (plain and Max), no issues at all. Works 100% (ymmv) as long as we know how it does work.

Only ‘complication’ is having to tap a door handle when removing a charging handle. Bit of a pain.

Reactions: streetskooler
Tesla removed that feature on the 3 some time ago. Now you have to actually open a door for the car to unlock and turn on.

Maybe I’m not understanding what you are talking about and/or maybe you aren’t understanding what I’m trying to say. I’m exclusively speaking about whether the car unlocks automatically.

I walk up to my car with my phone in my pocket. I pull on the handle. The car unlocks despite not hitting the unlock button in the app. I understand that the car doesn’t turn on until I actually open the door but that wasn’t what was being discussed and that functionality isn’t super important.

The person who posted about the fob just wants the car to unlock without having to press any fob buttons or use the app. That’s what we get now with the phone.

Maybe I’m not understanding what you are talking about and/or maybe you aren’t understanding what I’m trying to say. I’m exclusively speaking about whether the car unlocks automatically.

I walk up to my car with my phone in my pocket. I pull on the handle. The car unlocks despite not hitting the unlock button in the app.

Yeah, that's not walk up unlock. Which they removed.

It used to be the car unlocked if you walked up to it with the phone key. Without needing to touch the handle.

Especially relevant for the removing the charger bit for example- now you have to touch the handle to unlock the car first.

The person who posted about the fob just wants the car to unlock without having to press any fob buttons or use the app. That’s what we get now with the phone.

No, you have to press a door handle instead. Which didn't used to be the case with the phone.

Reactions: diamond.g
Your model 3 doesn’t unlock when you walk up to it with the phone in your pocket? Mine does. I think that’s the intended functionality however I know that some have had the phone key not work well. I would expect the fob to work the model S does and how it works when the phone work key works right - and that means it unlocks as you approach with the fob in your pocket.

Thanks and good to know. I misunderstood the feedback I was reading about the phone access. If it unlocks on my approach, I won’t bother with the keyfob. Thanks for clarifying.

Was quoted $150 per key today when I asked about ordering. They also said I'd be charged for labor while programming the fob. I don't mind the charge if they're doing work. But given how backed up the service centers are, really think it's a mistake to implement the fobs in a way that requires a tech's time.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank42
Was quoted $150 per key today when I asked about ordering. They also said I'd be charged for labor while programming the fob. I don't mind the charge if they're doing work. But given how backed up the service centers are, really think it's a mistake to implement the fobs in a way that requires a tech's time.
It should only take a minute to add the fob. Hopefully they don't charge for an entire hour. Better yet, they should provide the fobs and give you the chance to program them yourself, the same as you can with phones and key cards.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Thanks and good to know. I misunderstood the feedback I was reading about the phone access. If it unlocks on my approach, I won’t bother with the keyfob. Thanks for clarifying.
Actually your post brought up a point I hadn't considered - my Model S would turn on when I approached even without touching it. This resulted in sometimes the bluetooth on my phone getting "hijacked." The Model 3 doesn't do that.

As much as I like the phone as key functionality I am welcoming the fob coming. If I have to pay for it I will just get one so I can have it around for when others must use my car or possibly for valet use (but I think the card in a holder with some directions stuck on it will work for the few times I valet). As much as I love the future I can't say the same for my family who at times is befuddled by the whole phone vs. keycard stuff.

It also would be nice to be able to trigger the doors and the frunk unlocked (in case of frunk opened) blindly with the fob in your pocket. Not the end of the world to not be able to do that but it would be nice.

Also for the people that have not been getting the phone as key to work well the fob will be very welcome I imagine. I've been fortunate enough to have a seamless experience with my phone.

Yeah, that's not walk up unlock. Which they removed.

It used to be the car unlocked if you walked up to it with the phone key. Without needing to touch the handle.

Especially relevant for the removing the charger bit for example- now you have to touch the handle to unlock the car first.

No, you have to press a door handle instead. Which didn't used to be the case with the phone.

This is a semantics issue. I mean the car is able to be opened by me without any intervention other than pulling the handle to open the door. You mean the car unlocks before you even touch it. Some people on this thread wanted to know if they could get into the locked car without messing with the phone or the fob. You can do that currently with the phone because it opens when you pull the handle.

It would be ridiculous if they charged for programming the fob.

Walk up unlock was removed causing charge port to never auto unlock? I swear the charge port will release when I press the button on the plug about 5% of the time (the rest being partial to total failures of phone-as-key anyways, maybe pressing the rear door handle unlocks, maybe it just wakes the car and it tells me to use my RFID card ... maybe it makes a bunch of clunking noises and a few seconds works)