Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing a Passport 9500ci radar detector / laser diffuser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, reviving this old and very helpful thread.
I just took possession of a new 75D. I have not yet studied the frunk or bumper. Can any of you offer me any tips for how to get easy access to install the radar sensor? In my pre-refresh 85D, I also mounted the GPS antenna in the nosecone.
Much appreciated!

Hello again. I received no response to my last post, so I thought I would try again, though with an update.

I managed to get behind the bumper of my refresh Model S by removing the frunk. Fairly easy task, taking about 5 minutes max.
I placed the GPS receiver and the Radar receiver both behind the bumper. The GPS receiver works magnificently, with an even more rapid location access compared to being behind my plastic nose cone on my prior car. Don't ask me why, but I am happy with that.

The Radar receiver, OTOH, is not picking up any radar signals at all it seems. Honestly, I am not surprised being it is behind an aluminum sheet. I will need to get a clear view, and I am guessing, that is under the bumper. This is a leased car, so I would need to do this in a completely reversible manner. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

I am useless to help you here.
My strategy is to find the most intelligent and experienced installer and pay him to put the best laser and radar I can afford in( where I live the laser is way more important).
Have done this on 2 model Ss and 1 model X and so far so good.

I am useless to help you here.
My strategy is to find the most intelligent and experienced installer and pay him to put the best laser and radar I can afford in( where I live the laser is way more important).
Have done this on 2 model Ss and 1 model X and so far so good.
It is rare that I pay installers. I always try to complete such tasks myself, asking questions along the way. My father raised me this way, and I also try to involve my children just the same. If I screw it up, I can then pay someone to save my butt.
In the meantime, it does seem like I am getting radar through the bumper, but the GPS has saved and hid many of my false alarms. I need to try it with the GPS off for a few days.
Laser diffusers are too much for me to tackle. Besides, they illegal here in California, and I’d rather not risk it. Also, as much as I enjoy having radar on my car, I really keep my speed under reasonable control. It seems like I use it more to keep myself in check.