Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing NEMA 14-50...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is outside my house (see pics below).
Looks like incoming power goes to this panel (2nd pic) before it goes into the garage panel (for everything in the house). On this panel, it has the 50A air conditioning circuit and its 15A (thermostat, fan blower, etc for the AC?).
And lt looks like there is only a slot for a slim breaker.
What if I move the 15A wire to to 50A breaker to make room so that I can install a 50A 2 pole slim breaker so that I can run a 240V 50A circuit for my NEMA 14-50 right next to it Codes?
I will have to turn on the AC full blast and measure the ampere of the 15A and 50A?

20171101_175224.jpg

20171101_175234.jpg

20171101_175242.jpg

You should look at an electrician. Your situation isn't necessary an easy install. If it was just adding a breaker and your comfortable with electricity, go for it. But this case appears to be a bit more tricky. A few hundred $$ to ensure safety would be well spent.

Where is the inside panel? Just on the other side of the wall? Or a long ways away?

They *may* be able to add another sub-panel next to that outside box and split off the HVAC circuits and get a charging circuit as well.

As the others stated, what you suggest is definitely a bad idea. However, it also appears that you only have 100amp service, so you may not have the capacity to add a 50amp outlet. Especially if you have an electric range and/or dryer. The electrician will have to run a load calculation to see if you have the capacity for what you want to install.

Reactions: plumazul
TEsla's website offers suggestions for electricians in most areas. I just used this to contact an electrician about getting an outlet installed at my home. I recommend using it and contacting them. The one I contacted has installed multiple Tesla outlets for people and was VERY familiar with the options for charging and has been very helpful.
here is the link: Find an electrician

• Helpful
Reactions: tony b
Agree that left is utility. That box is yours.

Does look like there are slots on the top. Should be obvious from knockouts on the safety panel that was removed.

s there any label on panel capacity? That still may be a 100A panel, in which case a load calc would be important. I cannot locate any images that match that panel combo on the internet.

Also, there is an electric codes for max number of switches to disconnect the house. I don't know what they are. Since you don't have a main breaker, that would also be a consideration.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Imafrog
There are plenty of slot space and I can easily add two 50A circuits

Just because you can it doesn’t mean that you should. Again, it appears that you have 100amp service and I would be very wary about adding a 50amp circuit to that without doing some load calculations to make sure you have that capacity. You might save a few hundred dollars with the DIY approach only to cause a fire and cost yourself way more than that in the end.

Just because you can it doesn’t mean that you should. Again, it appears that you have 100amp service and I would be very wary about adding a 50amp circuit to that without doing some load calculations to make sure you have that capacity. You might save a few hundred dollars with the DIY approach only to cause a fire and cost yourself way more than that in the end.

I have 200A coming in from PGE. 100A goes to the panel inside the garage. 50A goes to the AC and the 15A is the AC signalling (which was using 0.1A). Pulling a 50A off this 200A for EV will not overload.

that 50 and 15A are already slim breakers. Is that 100Amp coming in all you have to the house or is that just the sub panel for the AC? I could walk you through the install if you need.

Power coming from PGE, thru the meter panel (left side) to the right side service panel (that I have access to). It has a 100A breaker that runs to inside the garage to another panel that has 14 to 20 breakers servicing the whole house. The AC (50A and 15A for signalling) ties on to this service panel and I want to install a 50A circuit on.
The 100A breaker protecting the garage panel, it is not a main breaker. I know my house has 200A service from PGE but I don't see a 200A main breaker.

Pics of the area here. I do appreciate if you can give me a parts list. That make shopping much easier.

The junction box will be external and below the service panel. I will run a short 90 degree pipe to go in and up to the service panel, then two 1" conduits to run to the NEMA 14-50 and tesla WC. I will need to drill thru the pillar stucco to another side to install. We will need 2 50A breakers. We have a Leaf and will get 2 model 3's down the road. I know I should not use the NEMA and WC at the same time. We rarely use our AC and definitely not at night when we charge our EVs regardless.

Junction box - need to have a minimum size to be code compliant? Waterproof of course.
I believe the garage pillar is hollow. I will need 2 LBs to go into the stucco? And then caulk around the holes.

(Oh, ignore the box on the left side of the meter. It is a solar panel disconnect box.)
20171102_172630.jpg

20171102_172640.jpg

Please be aware that in most places in the US you are required to get a permit and inspection for the work you’re doing, and many places require that the work be done by a licensed electrician. If you fail to follow the requirements then if anything happens to your house your insurance company can attempt to shift liability on to you, even if the problem wasn’t related to the work.

This is outside my house (see pics below).
Looks like incoming power goes to this panel (2nd pic) before it goes into the garage panel (for everything in the house). On this panel, it has the 50A air conditioning circuit and its 15A (thermostat, fan blower, etc for the AC?).
And lt looks like there is only a slot for a slim breaker.
What if I move the 15A wire to to 50A breaker to make room so that I can install a 50A 2 pole slim breaker so that I can run a 240V 50A circuit for my NEMA 14-50 right next to it Codes?
I will have to turn on the AC full blast and measure the ampere of the 15A and 50A?

View attachment 257728

View attachment 257727

View attachment 257726

OR you could just tap into your electrical panel like all other sane people :). it would cost a bit extra but it will be up to code instead of what you've shown in pictures. btw, there were already threads on how to do these runs on this and model3 owners club you might want to search for.