Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Instructions for facelift bumper/fascia installation on nosecone Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The guy who offered to help me manufacture the piece has not responded to my inquiries, so I'll go to my sources in China.

Are you talking about me? If so, I haven't gotten anything from you?

I just got back from one of my manufactures in Dongguan. They had a bunch of nice Lamborghini nose pieces in process. They can definitely handle it.

If I can help in any way let me know. We just need to get the T-piece to fit with the curved dimensions of the pre-facelift hood correct? Artsci probably has more insight being that he did the install already. My parts are just sitting in the garage right now..

Ive been looking at changing out my front bumper. I have a 2014 Model S 85. If I was to buy a hood and bumper from a 2016 Model S(refresh) from ebay and have the shop repaint it, they should be able to install it with some minor tweaks, correct? I should't have to order new headlights or bottom grill? Is there anything you think I should make the shop aware of?

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
Ive been looking at changing out my front bumper. I have a 2014 Model S 85. If I was to buy a hood and bumper from a 2016 Model S(refresh) from ebay and have the shop repaint it, they should be able to install it with some minor tweaks, correct? I should't have to order new headlights or bottom grill? Is there anything you think I should make the shop aware of?

Have you read through this entire thread? I suggest you do. "Minor tweaks" is hardly what I'd call this conversion. It's a very complicated job with some custom work.

Have you read through this entire thread? I suggest you do. "Minor tweaks" is hardly what I'd call this conversion. It's a very complicated job with some custom work.

I just finished reading through it and I see the items that have to be ordered. The one thing I couldn't tell and maybe I just missed it, if you ordered the new longer hood also.

Yes he replaced the hood as well but also had to modify it to work.

The modifications were the hood latch (that was custom made) and and the rubber trim for the frunk. On the old hood the trim was on the underside of the hood. On the new hood the trim is on the frunk liner and the frunk on the facelift cars is maybe half of the size of that on the nosecone cars. So the frunk itself had to be modified with fiberglass to ensure a proper seal. I think there are photos and descriptions of all of this in the full thread.

If you're a glutton for punishment and have a creative shop to work with, by all means go ahead:) My shop, SDR, is perfectly willing to share information and procedures with others. I think they may even be doing this mod for other owners in the area.
Are you talking about me? If so, I haven't gotten anything from you?

I just got back from one of my manufactures in Dongguan. They had a bunch of nice Lamborghini nose pieces in process. They can definitely handle it.

Not sure but if you're still game when I return from vacation in late August and get my car back I'll get the two pieces that are needed to create the new piece and try them out on my car first, the ship them to you.

Not sure but if you're still game when I return from vacation in late August and get my car back I'll get the two pieces that are needed to create the new piece and try them out on my car first, the ship them to you.

Yep, I'm still game. I will have to ship them off to the manufacturing plant so they can make a 3D model of it. Are we wanting this in Carbon Fiber or plastic? Plastic molds are super expensive, but the per unit cost is substantially less... for low volume like this, CF is probably the way to go.

• Love
Yep, I'm still game. I will have to ship them off to the manufacturing plant so they can make a 3D model of it. Are we wanting this in Carbon Fiber or plastic? Plastic molds are super expensive, but the per unit cost is substantially less... for low volume like this, CF is probably the way to go.

CF would be perfect ... I am in for one and will post installation details :cool:

Has anyone measured the T insert from Model X? It looks like it has a larger opening with a top edge more like the old style hood...

Attachments

• Side-by-Side-S-and-X.jpg
    Side-by-Side-S-and-X.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 120
Would a 3d print file be appropriate that can be sent to a large enough 3d print shop?

The cost per part would be prohibitive I think. Also, unless it was an SLS print, any FDM printing would be too fragile for this application. Couple that with the fact that painting would be a real chore, as well as the finishing. I don't think it's really practical for more than 1 or two pieces.

• Informative
Reactions: Morristhecat