Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Instructions for facelift bumper/fascia installation on nosecone Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This post will result in a series of posts with instructions on installation of a facelift front end (bumper/fascia) on a nosecone Model S. Thanks to Doug Pasini of Automotive Concepts in Timonium, MD for doing this work while I shot the photos.

Part I. The first (this post) will focus on removal of the nosecone bumper.

Part II. The second will concern transfer of the fog lights, vents, and other components from the nosecone bumper to the facelift bumper.

Part III. The third and final post will focus on mounting the facelift bumper on the nosecone Model S attachment points.

First, here’s a list of the Tesla parts needed to do the job:

A new facelift fascia/bumper (this comes unpainted and costs $415.00)

The following parts are also needed (estimated cost is $300-$400)

Part Description Part number Quantity

T BADGE SUPPORT 1062472-00-E 1
TESLA BADGE “T” FRONT 1056386-00-E 1
SCR, M5-1.8x14, SCKT PAN WSHR HD,TORX,SST 1006533-00-A 2
FRONT UPPER GRILLE BRIGHT TRIM 1065233-00-C 1
EDGE CLIP, 6x20 HOLE, 14.5x1.3 RIB 1062645-00-A 4
BLT HF M6x1.00x18 [8.8]-D-ZnAl-W 1006529-00-A 4
SCR ST WSHR M5x20 ZnNi 1012809-00-A 9
FASCIA SUPPORT BRACKET - LEFT 1061331-00-B 1
FASCIA SUPPORT BRACKET - RIGHT 1061332-00-B 1
BLT HF M6-1.00Xx20 [8.8] ZnAlW 1009420-00-A 2
PALNUT TYPE-SD M5x10-15 1009338-00-A 2
FRONT FASCIA UPPER GRILLE COVER 1057847-00-C 1
FRONT FASCIA GRILLE COVER - RIGHT 1057850-00-B 1
TOW HOOK COVER 1057845-00-B 1
SCREW-M6-1.0x18.5,5 LOBE EX TORX 1055832-00-B 2
CLIP, M6,BUR100015 1013802-00-B 2
TOW HOOK 1060646-00-A 1

Part I. Removal of nosecone bumper

Removal of the nosecone bumper is actually quite simple but will require one or two helpers when all of the attachments have been released or removed and the bumper needs to be taken off the car.

1. Remove the right and left hand side snap-out frunk liners

fullsizeoutput_5d83.jpeg

2. Remove the clips and pry out the top piece over the nosecone

fullsizeoutput_5d88.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5d82.jpeg

3. Remove the two bolts holding the right and left side bumper tabs to the frame

fullsizeoutput_5d86.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5d89.jpeg

4. Remove the two small screws in the right and left wheels wells that acnhore the bumper to the wheel well

DSC_7572.JPG

5. Remove the 10 plastic clips holding the bottom of the bumper diffuser to the underside of the car.

fullsizeoutput_5d8a.jpeg

The photo below shows some of the holes where the ten clips that attached the bumper bottom to the underside of the car.

fullsizeoutput_5d95.jpeg

6. With an assistant, work the bumper loose where it attaches over the top of the wheel wells and remove it from the car. Be careful to unplug the parking sensors and any other cables attached to components on the bumper.

fullsizeoutput_5d8c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5d8d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5d90.jpeg

The photos below show the fog lights and vents on the back side of the bumpers as well as the grille. These will have to be removed for transfer to the facelift bumper. More on that in the Part II.

fullsizeoutput_5d99.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5d9a.jpeg

I head the hoods were different.
are the hoods the same?

The hoods are different, which is why the few photos we've seen of these conversions all have a much bigger "gap" between the front bumper and the front hood edge/lip. It's much wider(taller) than on the real facelift cars where the small Telsa "T" logo is, so I suspect something will need to be fabricated or modified to fill that gap properly.

Also, if you look at facelift hoods, the front hood edge is barely curved, almost flat, while the pre-facelift hood is much more curved, which in-part causes this increased gap. I spent a lot of time at a Tesla service center looking at these hoods side-by-side, and you can see the differences.

I'm looking forward to see how Rick solves this.

Reactions: davidc18
The hoods are different, which is why the few photos we've seen of these conversions all have a much bigger "gap" between the front bumper and the front hood edge/lip. It's much wider(taller) than on the real facelift cars where the small Telsa "T" logo is, so I suspect something will need to be fabricated or modified to fill that gap properly.

Also, if you look at facelift hoods, the front hood edge is barely curved, almost flat, while the pre-facelift hood is much more curved, which in-part causes this increased gap. I spent a lot of time at a Tesla service center looking at these hoods side-by-side, and you can see the differences.

Thanks Hank. We'll make the determination about the "hood gap" once we have the facelift bumper and parts and do the install. It's hard to think how something could be done to close any gap that's substantial so it will be interesting to see the size of any gap that may exist. Just in case I have a Karstyle bumper on order:)

It's not a perfect solution, but the rubber hood rests that screw into the left and right side frunk liners control the final resting height of the hood (circled in red in image below). Both of my 2013 M-S's have large hood gaps over the nosecone, and I used this method to successfully reduce the resting hood position. This isn't as good as replacing the hood with the new part, but it will help reduce the gap.

Frunk-4.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Btr_ftw
Thanks Kenriko.

Ironically, on my way to the Owings Mills service center to pick up the facelift bumper I was sideswiped by another driver and suffered some minor damage to the passenger side of the nose cone bumper. Nothing serious that a good paint job can't fix.

The facelift bumper barely fit in the back of my car with the seats folded down so I don't want to take it out for photos until I get it to the paint shop tomorrow am.

Sorry to hear of your accident. It is ironic that your nosecone bumper was damaged while picking up the refreshed one.

I'm really interested in doing this mod to my March 2014 parking sensor, but pre-AP, front bumper. I'm looking forward to finding out how you will handle the parking sensors with the new bumper, and how you plan to get access to the 12volt jump terminals just behind the nosecone.

You are my Hero.

Mine too!

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
I'm looking forward to finding out how you will handle the parking sensors with the new bumper, and how you plan to get access to the 12volt jump terminals just behind the nosecone.!

The parking sensors transfer from one to the other, so I expect that won't be difficult. The 12v terminals may be another story.

We've now scheduled the install event for Sunday, February 26. At the same time we'll also be doing the first lighted rear applique install on a Model X. More on that as soon as the location is confirmed, but its likely to be in Delaware not far from the Newark supercharger

Sorry to hear of your accident. It is ironic that your nosecone bumper was damaged while picking up the refreshed one.

It was one of those foreseeable things. I was about 6 car lengths in the left lane (I-83, three lanes north) behind a yellow Mustang driven by a young woman in very heavy traffic. At 50 mph the fool was less than a single car length behind the car in front of her and I was thinking she's going to to rear end that car if it has to stop quickly (she had been driving recklessly for several miles before). Sure enough it happened. I stopped with room to spare and got sideswiped when I tried to shift a lane over to drive around the accident. The sound of the sideswipe made me think extreme damage had been done to my car, but when I got out to take a look I was pleasantly surprised to find minor damage to the extreme right side of the front bumper. Here's a photo of the damage. The Chevy Equinox that sideswiped the bumper looked a lot worse

IMG_1316.JPG

Last edited:
The parking sensors transfer from one to the other, so I expect that won't be difficult. The 12v terminals may be another story.

We've now scheduled the install event for Sunday, February 26. At the same time we'll also be doing the first lighted rear applique install on a Model X. More on that as soon as the location is confirmed, but its likely to be in Delaware not far from the Newark supercharger

It was one of those foreseeable things. I was about 6 car lengths in the left lane (I-83, three lanes north) behind a yellow Mustang driven by a young woman in very heavy traffic. At 50 mph the fool was less than a single car length behind the car in front of her and I was thinking she's going to to rear end that car if it has to stop quickly (she had been driving recklessly for several miles before). Sure enough it happened. I stopped with room to spare and got sideswiped when I tried to shift a lane over to drive around the accident. The sound of the sideswipe made me think extreme damage had been done to my car, but when I got out to take a look I was pleasantly surprised to find minor damage to the extreme right side of the front bumper. Here's a photo of the damage. The Chevy Equinox that sideswiped the bumper looked a lot worse

IMG_1316.JPG
Wow... looks like it got your carbon fiber front lip as well. Hopefully that will buff out

You are a lucky guy ... no damage to the headlights or fogs - just the classic bumper that you are replacing :cool:

The parking sensors transfer from one to the other, so I expect that won't be difficult. The 12v terminals may be another story. We've now scheduled the install event for Sunday, February 26. At the same time we'll also be doing the first lighted rear applique install on a Model X. More on that as soon as the location is confirmed, but its likely to be in Delaware not far from the Newark supercharger

Here's a photo of the damage. The Chevy Equinox that sideswiped the bumper looked a lot worse

IMG_1316.JPG

You are a lucky guy ... no damage to the headlights or fogs - just the classic bumper that you are replacing :cool:

Yes, I do consider myself very lucky. No damage aside from the scrapes in the bumper and a scrape on the carbon fiber diffuser, which probably can be buffed out. The bumper attachment point over the wheel well was ripped apart but the mount on the fender was not damaged. The bumper is also cracked under the fog. It must have been bent forward and scraped along the side of the truck that sideswiped me then sprung back into nearly into place. Polyurethane bumpers are a good thing -- light and very durable. The facelift bumper probably weighs less than 2-3 pounds.

Delivered the facelift bumper this am to a shop to have it painted.