Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insulting trade-in offer on my 2016 Model X 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid $116k and Tesla offered ~$58k on a trade!?!? Don't get me started.

I have it posted on eBay and I'm looking for other places to post. Looking for $80k. Carmax gets me close but that seems like a pain. Any ideas?

Scheduled to pick up my new X on Friday but will delay so I can sell my car.

Thanks!

I don't think you'll get $80k. I traded my 2016 MX 90D in August of last year with only ~5000 miles on it, paid $116k so probably pretty similar equipment to yours. At that time I got around $80-85k from a Mercedes dealer, the very highest offer I got at the time was for $85 at Tesla which they later upped to $90k. Still, that was over a year ago. While $60k feels a bit low, it might not be that low...

FWIW I've sold vehicles to CarMax and it's a fantastic experience. If they get you close to your goal, I'd do that. You'll walk out with a check same day.

Sometimes Tesla will match a CarMax price. Worth talking to them.

I sold my trade in to Carmax and it was as simple as could be. Took in the car, left with a check.

You did not mention the date of your purchase, miles, condition of the car, condition of the tires etc.

Could be lots of reasons for a lower trade in price.

Even Tesla has reduced the prices of their new cars several times to reflect the market and their cost of production.

Most all higher end cars depreciate heavily the first year of two of ownership.

Don't forget you were also able to take your significant tax credit, which reduced your real costs.

I have it posted on eBay and I'm looking for other places to post. Looking for $80k. Carmax gets me close but that seems like a pain. Any ideas?

Thanks!
I had a trade in estimate from Tesla less than a month ago, loaded X90 6 seater with 11k miles at $77k. Tesla would not budge on that offer and I pushed them very hard.

Thanks!
That's quite a first post.

The reduction last month is going to change the market for everyone that purchased before it with some substantial downward pressure. Then there is AP2 and of course the move to the 100 for battery size (90 being closer to 75). The OP didn't post options or condition, but assuming that Tesla's algorithm is applied this would mean they think after CPO and refurbishing the car is going to hover around the 70K mark....seems like an outlier.

A lot of the references to prior quotes noted here don't seem to be after the pricing reset - I can't imagine at the beginning of August this same car wasn't worth a bit more. Still that quote feels about 10K light.

Be helpful to hear what Carmax offered and why the OP thinks that selling on eBay is the best option.

2 months ago when I bought my X and was going to trade in my S, I went to Carmax to get a quote. Tesla gave me over $9K more than Carmax quoted me. I was shocked at how low the Carmax offer was.

Mine wasn't that big of a difference, but there was around a $3k difference between Tesla and CarMax (Tesla gave me the better offer, and it was also done entirely over email and did not waste 3 hours of my Saturday watching the CarMax person run around and overhearing "did you see this Tesla???")

But at any rate, I don't think I've ever read a thread where someone was happy with a trade-in offer on a car. Tesla is taking your car, reconditioning it, then waiting for a buyer. And that buyer is getting a full CPO warranty, expecting a killer deal, and also going to nitpick every detail of the car (see the numerous "I just saw my CPO and ___" threads here)...

Luxury cars are rapidly depreciating assets, especially when you want convenience of resale.

Reactions: brkaus