Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance discount for COVID-19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saying that it increased your rates by $xxx/month doesn't really say anything. Anything happened within the past 6 months? Tickets, accidents, increased mileage, changed locations, etc.

Nothing has changed in past 6 months besides me driving significantly LESS due to the shut down. That is the whole point of my post, I’m driving less but my rates went up!

Finally got the update from State Farm today.

They've adjusted my rate for this month to account for a 24% discount for April (a little over a month, I think they mentioned the discount period started a few days before 1st of April). Sure, I mostly haven't moved my car for over 4 months now but I guess 1 is better than 0 so I won't complain too much. Maybe a little: I do feel they've weaseled their discounts to get away with as short of a period as possible, to still be on track with other companies.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Bumping this up since I have not received the promised Tesla Insurance credit.

I just called Tesla to inquire about the credit that was supposed to be provided in May.

They said that there has been delays but a credit of 20% should be provided to us by check for the months of March, April and now May. This should be sent out by the end of this week according to the rep.

I tried to lower my mileage.. but the rep recommended for me to wait until the credit comes since it may affect it? Something like that...

Eh.. Has anyone received the credit yet? Or had a similar experience?

have you or any cats here received the check ? "end of the the week" has long passed...

Not that it means too much to you Insured by Tesla but Allstate has already issued credits to my bank account twice already.

I actually took the opportunity to add an umbrella policy. Been at the level that I am for quite some time it was obvious to everyone I should have the extra coverage for personal protection.

When there are uninsured motorist out on the road driving commercial vehicles and never had a license in FIVE DECADES of driving.

It helps to have dash cams, too bad sensory fails the last recording if air bags deploy. It helps to have lawyers that pull footage from every city and private camera at the scene. It helps to have a high value policy just in case all else fails.

Nope no credit.. nothing as of today. Was going to call and inquire again, but didn't realize they aren't open on Sundays.

I'll try again in the week.
Followed up again. The rep said the refunds still haven't been sent out but will be soon, end of the week, via mail as a check.

I also received the weird $5 ($4.92 to be exact) back to my card immediately after calling them.

• Funny
Reactions: Reborn and lUtriaNt
i just heard the same thing as @jasonanthony. checks to be mailed by end of next week (apparently there are 25k of them going out in total).

lame that the reason they're so delayed is tesla insurance promised something that they couldn't deliver on (apparently their billing department wasn't able to credit people's accounts).

here's hoping for a check in a couple of weeks!

It uses a bluetooth beacon in conjunction with your phone. For those times that you don't want to use it, turn your phone bluetooth off or put it in one of those key fob faraday pouchs. Or leave it home.

I've heard about that but didn't get a chance to try it? How does it work? If it's an app that tracks your location and speed metrics all the time, I'm not sure I'd like to do that.

I have Tesla Insurance (In California) since August 2019 and another owner mentioned they had reduced their annual mileage and was able to reduce their monthly payment by 20%. I ended up calling Tesla Insurance services helpline in April 2020 and reduced my annual mileage since I was working from home for the remainder of this year, I received a cheaper 6-month rate.

Pretty happy about that.

It uses a bluetooth beacon in conjunction with your phone. For those times that you don't want to use it, turn your phone bluetooth off or put it in one of those key fob faraday pouchs. Or leave it home.

Is there any other minimum requirement for this? I'm assuming you can't just opt in and leave your bluetooth off all the time? How much do you have to use it to get the 25%?

Edit: nevermind, I've read about this program. I think I'll pass for now. I do drive very cautiously and safely, but if we can't accelerate a bit harder in a Tesla, what's the point? If general acceleration and cornering are big factors in the discount, I'm not even going to try it.

Last edited:
I received a check today for the equivalent of 20% of three months of premium payments. I'm guessing it must be March, April, AND May.

Will June, July, and more be coming in the future?

Just received this:

Dear Tesla Insurance Customer,

To help support our customers during these uncertain times, Tesla Insurance Services is providing you with a 20% credit for your March and April auto insurance payments.

We will automatically credit the card on your account most recently used for payment. No action is required on your part with credits issued automatically in the coming weeks.

If you have any questions, please contact us at (844) 348-3752.

Thank you,
Tesla Insurance Services

Reactions: lUtriaNt