Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance On Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Living in Sunnyvale, my currently policy is two car 2012 Camry hybrid XLE and Tesla Model S60(although they mistaken it to S70)
full coverage with $250 deductible. 10000 Mi each year for commute and leisure.
Ameriprise (Costco Exec member) quote me $1126 for 6 months. My previous insurance Farmer's quote me $1700 and Gecko quote me $2100, jump the ship with Costco.

View attachment 195373
You should consider to add NEW CAR REPLACEMENT/GAP COVERAGE, it only costs me $13 per 6 months through Ameriprise.

I live in San Francisco too, and I know it's a little hard to compare since it's based on miles driven but with Metromile I am paying $52.80/month plus $0.076/mile. Also they only do car insurance so you might not save money if you currently get a multi line discount elsewhere. In my case it made sense to purchase a standalone umbrella due to the cost savings.

I have been with Progressive for like 10+ years and I am an Emerald status for whatever that does for me, probably nothing.

But my rate went up about $50 a month and I am ready to jump. I just hate having to put a down payment, call to get quotes everywhere, and go through the process.

We were Amica customers for 15 years. They wanted to *double* my portion of the insurance (Audi A6).

I talked to different companies and finally settled on USAA. CR has them #1 with Amica #2, and in the end I ended up saving almost $800 a year for home/auto. Minor savings on home, huge savings on auto and I have much better coverage than with Amica. (i'm also a vet and this will account for a chunk of the discounts)

I got a quote for about $600 for Ameriprise through costco (250/500) - however, they said they have to send it to the underwriters to see if they'll even take me on. I'm guessing it's because of the high dollar value of the car? (~140k) Odd, since there seem to be other Ameriprise/Model S customers here... we'll see.

When I started considering Teslas back in May, I got a quote through my carrier (Chubb) for $2700/year for a 90D. That seemed incredibly high given we have only two licensed drivers (kids are to young to drive), clean driving records, live in a rural area, and this would be a fifth car. It was significantly higher than what we were paying for any of our other cars. I just got the car, and the insurer now has dropped their rates to $1700/year (including GAP coverage) which I feel is reasonable.

Putting a down payment... on insurance? I never had to do that. Is there a special reason for that or just the way it is done in your state? I've only every been insured in NC and FL.

It's been so long since I had different insurances that I thought that was the normal process? It's been over 15 years since I have been with Progressive I believe.

If that doesn't hold true I really need to stop slacking and shop around and if I can do it online thats even better.

It's been so long since I had different insurances that I thought that was the normal process? It's been over 15 years since I have been with Progressive I believe.

If that doesn't hold true I really need to stop slacking and shop around and if I can do it online thats even better.
I switch insurance like I switch shoes, and I've never had to put a downpayment.

Here's an interesting data point. My 2015 S90D was insured at about 400/6 months through Progressive. Vastly cheaper than everything else. I recently switched to a 2016 P90DL S, which was almost 50% more expensive and obviously much higher performance.

The 6 month rate increase? $1.14. Yes, one dollar and fourteen cents.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Here's an interesting data point. My 2015 S90D was insured at about 400/6 months through Progressive. Vastly cheaper than everything else. I recently switched to a 2016 P90DL S, which was almost 50% more expensive and obviously much higher performance.

The 6 month rate increase? $1.14. Yes, one dollar and fourteen cents.

Lucky you, in FL the progressive quote I got was $1102 for 6 months, but I also got another from them for $772 a few weeks ago. I need to double check. Geico is way high

Lucky you, in FL the progressive quote I got was $1102 for 6 months, but I also got another from them for $772 a few weeks ago. I need to double check. Geico is way high

The quote changed from $772 to $1102 when I changed from Model S to Model S 85/P85 which is interesting since I am getting a 2015 Model S P90D and that isn't listed. I should just go in and select Model S right?

The quote changed from $772 to $1102 when I changed from Model S to Model S 85/P85 which is interesting since I am getting a 2015 Model S P90D and that isn't listed. I should just go in and select Model S right?

You could have issues if you select Model S if you actually file a claim, assuming you don't get a rude bump in price when you provide your VIN and they realize it's not a normal S. I provided the VIN for my S85 and it is classified as Model S/Model S Performance by Acuity.