Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance On Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys,

Just placed my order yesterday for a 60s, having trouble finding the best insurance to work with. Quotes I'm getting are 300-400/month. I know insurance rates vary, but is anyone in a similar boat able to get their rates down?

Single
San Francisco
Clean driving record.

I am 30 yrs old living in San Francisco for my 60D I got around $300 for a standard policy. My 2015 bmw 428 grand coupe was $108 a month.

is there a difference in quotes for s60 vs s85? someone said that the 85 was put considered performance category but the 60 was not. is this consistent with other people's experience? it's not like s60 is a slow car.

Since i need a commuter on Cali freeways, paying premium for s85 is not worth it to me if the insurance will be that much more.

is there a difference in quotes for s60 vs s85? someone said that the 85 was put considered performance category but the 60 was not. is this consistent with other people's experience? it's not like s60 is a slow car.

Since i need a commuter on Cali freeways, paying premium for s85 is not worth it to me if the insurance will be that much more.

I would recommend checking with a few insurers, as different insurers may handle it differently. My hunch is that if you really want the s85 you can probably get about the same price if you don't mind shopping around. The insurance on my new P90D with Ludicrous is barely more than I paid for the same coverage on the six-year old Audi I just traded in that had 97K miles and was worth $13K.

I'm calling my current insurance company tomorrow (AMICA) to see how competitive they can be with GEICO (see post #38). For three cars, including a Tesla, I can be happy with anything around $1,300/6 months or $2,500 for a one-year policy.

Here in California, GEICO doesn't provide a discount for bundling homeowners with auto. I was told their homeowners department was separate from auto. You would think they would offer some sort of discount for bringing three autos and two homes over to them. I'm allegedly getting a bundling discount with AMICA. We'll see.

I'm calling my current insurance company tomorrow (AMICA) to see how competitive they can be with GEICO (see post #38). For three cars, including a Tesla, I can be happy with anything around $1,300/6 months or $2,500 for a one-year policy.

Here in California, GEICO doesn't provide a discount for bundling homeowners with auto. I was told their homeowners department was separate from auto. You would think they would offer some sort of discount for bringing three autos and two homes over to them. I'm allegedly getting a bundling discount with AMICA. We'll see.
If you own a share of Berkshire-Hathaway, you can get a shareholder discount. There are two classes BRK-A and BRK-B. I know the A shares have a geico discount, and I BELIEVE that the same holds for a B share. The A share sells for $218,400 and the B share sells for $145. Buying a $145 share to save you 15% on insurance seems like a deal!!

This thread about potential insurance costs for a Tesla started making me nervous, even though my wife and I have fairly clean records and no claims on either homeowners and auto with our current insurer - AMICA.

Contemplating a Model S acquisition in November or December (I'm still playing around with Design Studio), I don't need to cover the car now but really need to know what it might cost. I have yet to contact AMICA but I was able to get an online quote using GEICO's web site. So for covering three cars for six months, here's what I got:

Bodily Injury Liability - $500,000/$500,000 - $275
Property Damage Liability - $100,000 - $196
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist - $500,000/$500,000 - $132

Comprehensive - 2016 Tesla S 60 - $200 deductible - $163
Comprehensive - 2006 Lexus LS 430 - $50 deductible - $87
Comprehensive - 2013 Toyota Prius - $50 deductible - $66

Collision - 2016 Tesla S 60 - $1,000 deductible - $256
Collision - 2006 Lexus LS 430 - $1,000 deductible - $105
Collision - 2013 Toyota Prius - $1,000 deductible - $108

$1,388 every six months total. I ran the quote declining everything else, including medical as my wife and I have pretty good medical insurance. We don't need towing as we have AAA Premier coverage. We don't need rental coverage as we would have three cars and no children as drivers in the household.

I know nothing about how good GEICO is when you need them, so that would be a concern. Then again, I've never had to use AMICA in the 10+ years I've been with them, so I can't say they're good or bad either. Will call AMICA on Monday to see what they say.

Unless you really need 3 cars, I think getting rid of 1 out of the 3 cars is best course of action to reduce cost. The multi-car discount is probably less on the 3rd car than with just 2 cars.

Unless you really need 3 cars, I think getting rid of 1 out of the 3 cars is best course of action to reduce cost. The multi-car discount is probably less on the 3rd car than with just 2 cars.

That is the plan. The wife is getting a '17 Lexus RX (she's in the SUV mode) and we'll sell the Prius. I showed her the "X" but she's hooked on Lexus brand. Hate to sell the Prius, as it's a really great car. Not one trip to service for maintenance issues in going on four years and very reliable 50 mpg city or highway.

Does this coverage look reasonable to you?

What kind of coverage would you adjust for? Also, if I go over mileage what happens? Is it better to shoot under or over? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-09-19 08.50.35.png
    Screenshot 2016-09-19 08.50.35.png
    133.1 KB · Views: 94
Living in Sunnyvale, my currently policy is two car 2012 Camry hybrid XLE and Tesla Model S60(although they mistaken it to S70)
full coverage with $250 deductible. 10000 Mi each year for commute and leisure.
Ameriprise (Costco Exec member) quote me $1126 for 6 months. My previous insurance Farmer's quote me $1700 and Gecko quote me $2100, jump the ship with Costco.

Your_Insurance_Policy_Information_-_BX08882909_-_privaterbok_gmail_com_-_Gmail.jpg

Independent insurance agent here (meaning I am contracted with several companies, not just one like captive companies). As others have said, it varies WIDELY across the spectrum. Each company is different in their rating variables and what they account for. Some won't write anything over $100k cost new, some have stopped writing Tesla's altogether, some have no idea how to rate for them so they put the highest symbol possible, and some are starting to figure it out.

The key is to shop around. Not just with the insurance.com types or 1 800 numbers, but a local independent agents too. Not only are they able to shop with several companies at once, they also provide "old fashioned" customer service and are another resource for help during claims issues. However, I will admit, some agents might be unfamiliar with Teslas.

As far as general insurance tips: buy high liability limits. No less than 250/500/100 or 500,000 CSL. Driving around a Tesla, you already have put a target on your back. You accidentally run over a pedestrian? Accidentally run a church van off the road? Cause a multi-vehicle pileup? You better believe they will obtain an attorney and go after you hard because you'll be seen as having deep pockets. Purchasing high liability limits is an absolute no brainer. Purchasing an additional layer of protection (umbrella policy) is also extremely wise. You don't want to worry about running out of insurance in the middle of a major lawsuit, I've seen it happen.

Another tip, and this will probably frustrate some, don't make any claims if you can help it. Of course, sometimes it's more prudent to file a claim...you run off the road and strike a tree causing $25,000 in damages, of course, turn in a claim. But you back into a light pole at the grocery store? Go get an estimate, and if you can pay for it out of pocket...by all means do so. I can't tell you how many clients I have that can't get that through their heads. They call to report a little claim here, little claim there, etc. So while they may collect a few hundred dollars in a year in claim benefits, it will cost them way more money down the road. It can be the difference in paying $900 a year in insurance and $3,000 a year. I have about 10 years of insurance history for both auto and home, and I have zero claims. Have things happened? Of course, but we paid for them out of pocket, but no claims.

Last edited: