Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you get over the conundrum of having to insure the Model 3 to enable you to pick it up at delivery but having no prior knowledge of the registration number that is required to insure it to enable you drive it off the Tesla showroom forecourt, if you follow my drift?

As far as I'm aware Direct line group and Novo are the only companies currently providing proper quotes. Admiral group seem to put the quote through as a Model S 60 in which case if this is on your insurance documents this would be invalid. Any others and price comparison seem to only quote for a LHD car.

Reactions: Rooster6655
As far as I'm aware Direct line group and Novo are the only companies currently providing proper quotes. Admiral group seem to put the quote through as a Model S 60 in which case if this is on your insurance documents this would be invalid. Any others and price comparison seem to only quote for a LHD car.

Yes seems to be the case right now, a bit of a sham if you ask me as I was told that insurers would start quoting by June and for some insurance price is very important for the cost viability of the car

Yes seems to be the case right now, a bit of a sham if you ask me as I was told that insurers would start quoting by June and for some insurance price is very important for the cost viability of the car
To be honest I think the direct line group appear to have been offering some pretty reasonable prices for a car with the insurance group of 50, when others start quoting I wouldn't be surprised if they are one of the most competitive still.

To be honest I think the direct line group appear to have been offering some pretty reasonable prices for a car with the insurance group of 50, when others start quoting I wouldn't be surprised if they are one of the most competitive still.

This certainly isn't the case for everyone as they are double the price of my current car compared to my insurance and their Tesla quotes for me have been £500+ more expensive than NOVO. They do however seem to be good for some just not me :/

I like the quote I got from Novo - it was £170 cheaper than DL.
Crucially, Novo will use Tesla approved repairers only and the replacement loan car is a Tesla.
Also includes 90 days EU cover which is an extra with DL.
I have contacted Novo on the strength of your post, thanks for that. I will post how their quote compares, but I was impressed with the website. Note that this is not an online application, it's old style emails.

Has anyone else renewed with Direct Line recently? I bought my first Tesla, a used Model S 90D, last August and insured with Direct Line for just under £500, which I was happy with. Just received my renewal notice from them, and it's gone up by 40% to nearly £700, with no change in details or cover. I called to challenge them and they dropped to £609, but it's still over 20%. No explanation apart from the usual 'factors affecting premiums can change' waffle. In my pre-Tesla years (mostly BMWs, various insurers), the renewal quote was usually up by 5-10%, and I would call and barter them back down, sometimes even getting an overall reduction.
Never seen a year-on-year increase like this, so wondering whether there's an issue with Teslas, with EVs generally, or what?

The biggest issue with the M3 is that there is only two companies quoting and one of them does so behind closed doors so nothing to compare it to. Once a couple of the big insurers catch up then I think premiums will go down a bit.

• Love
Reactions: Rooster6655
I was shocked at Direct Lines compulsory excess being £500 for me. Would anyone know if this is typical before I go off researching further.

Heard upto 2k with Novo but you can purchase excess protection for about £70

Got a quote back from Novo, over 1k, Churchill was less than £800.

Shame, as with the questions they were asking about car history etc.. I thought it might have been a good one

Novo is usually good for anyone whose Direct Line Group quotes are in excess of £1k