Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For this to be worth it you would have to be saving a few hundred at least, £20 insurance fee and any admin fee, they will then refund the policy based on their terms and won't be necessarily be based on 12 months cost minus months used.
The biggest problem is most people won’t insure the model 3. Im with axa and they have said they won’t insure it and in that case because they won’t the will prorata refund free of charge. My Model3 is likely to get here around the same time as my current insurance expires so isn’t so much of an issue.

Reactions: Rooster6655
The biggest problem is most people won’t insure the model 3. Im with axa and they have said they won’t insure it and in that case because they won’t the will prorata refund free of charge. My Model3 is likely to get here around the same time as my current insurance expires so isn’t so much of an issue.

Yes it is the biggest unaddressed problem especially for people who Direct Line Group quote high prices for.

Best so far for me is Churchill:

34 (+ wife 30)
M3 SR+
15k miles
9+ years NCB
Protected No Claims
Total = £456.96

I've tried both Direct Line and LV but neither seem to have the option to select SR+ . Assume you have to phone them?
Yes on their dedicated Tesla Number they knew exactly what the Car was and were very efficient and professional even helped me understand the implications of an open Claim (other Driver clipped me in a Car Park admitted liability) I was very pleasantly surprised and would recommend them to anyone on the dedicated Tesla Number.

Reactions: Christiez
More costs deducted from refund are any broker fees. They are not normally pro-rata'd. Not sure how comparison websites work as they are technically brokers - I guess s that their commission is paid upfront, by insurance company so that fee is deducted as part of insurers costs. And if you have been unlucky to have claimed or be subject to a claim, then you won't get anything back.

Don't be surprised if once you are half way through a policy you get little or nothing back.

Hi,

First post here...

Just got off the phone with Direct Line and LV. (I was on hold with Churchill too, but the recorded preamble said that they are underwritten by UK Insurance Ltd, so they same as Direct Line, so I hung up!)

LV told me that they don't insure the Model 3 yet (they have the M3 P on their system, but only as an import car, so they won't insure it). They decided to quote me for a Model S, even though I pointed out it was a significantly more expensive car:

40yo, clean license, 6yrs NCB, West London, off street parking, dashcam/parking sensor/auto emergency braking system (they asked about these things)

LV want £1224.24 per year!
(£1050 excess!! £200 for replacement windscreen)

Direct Line quoted £959 per year
(£850 excess. £75 replacement windscreen)

• Informative
Reactions: Jez013
Painful. I wonder whether London plays a part there. That said, I don't think premiums of ~£1k are too crazy given the performance.

It is crazy when some people with less NCB get quotes around the £500 mark, quite sure the reason is that Direct Line Group classify areas differently to a lot of other insurers.

For some people Direct Line Group are expensive for example I got a quote on my current car and its twice what I pay now, for the Model 3 its much more expensive than a new P100D so its more than just the car change.

Best so far for me is Churchill:

34 (+ wife 30)
M3 SR+
15k miles
9+ years NCB
Protected No Claims
Total = £456.96

I've tried both Direct Line and LV but neither seem to have the option to select SR+ . Assume you have to phone them?

Slight update, Direct line quoting me £683 and that's with a higher excess...

Just waiting on Novo getting back to me but as it stands Churchill have my money.

• Informative
Reactions: davidmc
Hi,
Just got off the phone with Direct Line and LV. (I was on hold with Churchill too, but the recorded preamble said that they are underwritten by UK Insurance Ltd, so they same as Direct Line, so I hung up!)
Still worth checking churchill, the policies aren't the same and churchill therefore comes in cheaper, quite a lot for some.

Hastings Direct now have the Model 3 in their dropdown. Also I heard Novo are a decent price, but obviosuly, everyones situations are different when it comes to insurance.
Hasting have it in the drop down, but refuses to quote once it actually gets to the last bit. Novo were over double churchill for me.

At the moment I will probably be going with Churchill, choosing about a £950 excess, and getting excess insurance and legal protection from elsewhere.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidmc
Hi,

First post here...

LV told me that they don't insure the Model 3 yet (they have the M3 P on their system, but only as an import car, so they won't insure it). They decided to quote me for a Model S, even though I pointed out it was a significantly more expensive car:

40yo, clean license, 6yrs NCB, West London, off street parking, dashcam/parking sensor/auto emergency braking system (they asked about these things)

LV want £1224.24 per year!
(£1050 excess!! £200 for replacement windscreen)

Direct Line quoted £959 per year
(£850 excess. £75 replacement windscreen)
Eeeeergh, this is going to be an issue :(
LV are still trying to recover money from a third party who hit me (in March!), and I didn't want to change insurer until that was sorted. So now if I cancel this policy and insure with Churchill or DL, I don't know if LV will still try to recover my excess, and if the accident will forever need to be recorded as "unrecovered" :(

How are you getting £950 excess on Churchill? The most I can select is £500 and that doesn't really change the premium enough to be worth it.
I mean total excess, £500 compulsory, £450 voluntary. £250 to £450 voluntary for me is about £40, which is the cost of the excess policy, and obviously they will be paying the whole £950 excess in the event of the claim, it's a no brainer for me, plus get legal protection from them to and save over the ~£30 that churchill are charging for it.

• Informative
Reactions: TestPilot
Just tried Hastings, filled in the form twice on the website and it failed both times. So I called them and the first guy told me they needed the reg number to do any kind of quote. So I hung up and dialed back and that person then took me through the whole process! Which ended with them telling me they couldn't produce a quote. She thought it was because I didn't have the reg number. But it's clearly not that! Jokers.

Then tried Churchill on the phone:

40yo (+ wife)
West London
Private driveway
M3 SR+
8k miles
6 years NCB
Total = £925.12
(£350 vol. excess + £550 comp. excess)

Plus the girl was very professional and friendly. Which lifted my spirits slightly after this soul destroying process!

I was surprised by DL's quote, it less than I was expecting.

32 (+ wife 30)
M3 SR+
10k miles
9+ years NCB

£413

Just got another quote with Churchill and it comes in at £348. The cheapest so far for me.

For the sake of it (because I'm trying to convince myself I can afford it), I quoted on the M3P too, and it was £556 (and £456 for the LR).