Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
..realised how slow and expensive they are to fix..

This actually brings up a concerning point. If Tesla don't get the S*** together (and frankly I have no reason to see that they will) and keep making it such a long wait to get cars repaired etc, will Insurers just keep pricing themselves out of the market completely so they don't have to deal with the hassle?

I really struggled to get an anywhere near decent quote this year. Honestly it wouldn't have to go up that much to make the whole thing pointless and force me to switch manufacturers.

I really don't want to though because I still love my Tesla and don't see any competition that I would want as yet.

Anybody done Acceleration Boost with Admiral ? How did they handle it?
I asked them about it & after much umming and ahhing & talking with a supervisor, I was told it does not need to be declared & there is no change in policy details. I did make very sure they knew what I was asking & confirmed the call was being recorded, just in case!

Don't take my word for it though, I'm just recounting my experience.

I asked them about it & after much umming and ahhing & talking with a supervisor, I was told it does not need to be declared & there is no change in policy details. I did make very sure they knew what I was asking & confirmed the call was being recorded, just in case!

Don't take my word for it though, I'm just recounting my experience.
I just spoke to somebody and they had no idea , explained to her what it does, and she was like what does it change on the car , and Inwas like it just makes the motors run faster and she was like - we need to know what changes it makes to the car and I was like software it’s software 🤷🏽‍♂️ - gave up afterwards

I just spoke to somebody and they had no idea , explained to her what it does, and she was like what does it change on the car , and Inwas like it just makes the motors run faster and she was like - we need to know what changes it makes to the car and I was like software it’s software 🤷🏽‍♂️ - gave up afterwards

I would be pointing out that there are no physical changes to the car and that there would be no implications for repair costs.

I’m weirdly in the situation where £398 renewal with Aviva works out cheapest compared to current year’s £308 premium. The best rival competitor £570 from LV= through MoneySuperMarket, with cashback routes no better. That at 23 days out around 08:00 on a Tuesday morning too! Purely regulatory.

I’m weirdly in the situation where £398 renewal with Aviva works out cheapest compared to current year’s £308 premium. The best rival competitor £570 from LV= through MoneySuperMarket, with cashback routes no better. That at 23 days out around 08:00 on a Tuesday morning too! Purely regulatory.
who did you kill to get these rates?

It's essentially an ECU upgrade. No a physical change but insurers don't like you adding 50+ bhp to your ICE car so don't see why they would be fine with an EV?
That's what I thought, so was very surprised when they said they basically don't care. I think it's more to do with them not understanding or having no process to deal with it at the moment. As time goes on & more EVs have similar paid-for software upgrades, I'm sure it will change.

I've just taken out a DL policy, I clarified that my LTD company will be owner of the car and I am the registered keeper personally and it was no problem. Told they used to ask who owned and who is registered keeper, but now they only ask who the registered keeper is. Policy was paid for by my company and so long as the billing address is the same as the registered keeper address it was no problem to do so.

Thought it may be helpful in case it clarifies it for anyone else, I was confused before speaking to them.

Try Direct Line they have a Dedicated Tesla Team, when I was organising Insurance for my M3 in August 2019 they were the only Insurer who knew what they were talking about.
I will give them a try.
1. However, I am generally having trouble getting a comparison site quote without a number plate. On the other hand, I want to have an idea of the costs before ordering.
2. Can you or any member give me an idea of the likely percentage difference between LR and Performance Model 3/Y

Thank you.