Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Integration with Google Home / Google Assistant - Now available for general use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love EV car and have used it for a long time. @Gol4 , is there any chance you can add commands to turn on the steering wheel and seat heaters? Also, most of the time the set temperature commands don’t work for me, even though temperature control from the Tesla app always works. EV car responds as though it worked, but the temperature set point in my car doesn’t change.
Thanks again for making EV car available.

I see the documentation for the new APIs now (for seat and steering wheel). Will try them out later tonight.

I love EV car and have used it for a long time. @Gol4 , is there any chance you can add commands to turn on the steering wheel and seat heaters? Also, most of the time the set temperature commands don’t work for me, even though temperature control from the Tesla app always works. EV car responds as though it worked, but the temperature set point in my car doesn’t change.
Thanks again for making EV car available.

Regarding setting temperatures, I noticed some interesting behavior while testing. If the car's driver/passenger temperatures are "Synced", the API behavior seems inconsistent. The API only allows setting of Driver and Passenger side independently and does not allow checking if it is set to "Sync". Most times, setting "Passenger" temperature changed the temperature while setting "Driver" side temperature did not. I guess we could have a generic set temperature command that would change temps for both sides.

In the mean time, can you please check if setting passenger temperature does the right thing for you? Thanks.

Regarding setting temperatures, I noticed some interesting behavior while testing. If the car's driver/passenger temperatures are "Synced", the API behavior seems inconsistent. The API only allows setting of Driver and Passenger side independently and does not allow checking if it is set to "Sync". Most times, setting "Passenger" temperature changed the temperature while setting "Driver" side temperature did not. I guess we could have a generic set temperature command that would change temps for both sides.

In the mean time, can you please check if setting passenger temperature does the right thing for you? Thanks.
I do always keep my temperatures sync’ed. I just tried having EV car set the passenger temperature. It said it did it, but, in fact, nothing happened. If it is not already given somewhere in the REST API thread, perhaps you can ask one of the gurus there to see what the Tesla app does to change the temperature as that always works.
Thanks a million for looking at these things.

I was having HUGE problems with my car not sleeping and so disconnected all of the third-party apps I'd been playing with, changed the car's password and finally got the car to sleep. I don't know which app or apps was the culprit.

But I do miss EV Car. Can anyone who only uses EV Car (in addition to the Tesla app) confirm whether or not their car still sleeps with it set up?

I do always keep my temperatures sync’ed. I just tried having EV car set the passenger temperature. It said it did it, but, in fact, nothing happened. If it is not already given somewhere in the REST API thread, perhaps you can ask one of the gurus there to see what the Tesla app does to change the temperature as that always works.
Thanks a million for looking at these things.

I've been working on a web-app - mostly for my own use - which lets you view the status of a Tesla and send basic commands. What I like about this is that all controls are on one page and I can use this from any device without having to install any app. I've put this on a server for use by anyone. You could use this to test the climate functionality issue being seen on the Model 3. The backend functionality is the same as the Google Home skill - with some relaxed timeouts.

http://eviecar.io/falcon/teslaweb/

Feel free to use this and let me know if you find it useful or see any issues. This is still quite experimental. For one thing your Tesla will magically turn into a Model X when you use this app :)

To use it, just enter your token or use the link at the top of the page to generate one using your Tesla credentials. The generated token is stored as a cookie on your browser for subsequent calls. Credentials are never stored on the server.

Is it safe to use this app? It is giving access to the beloved Tesla.....
I’ve been using it with no problem. I love it. If you don’t want to trust gol4, you can use some other website or app to turn your Tesla account and password into a token and then input that token into this google assistant app. That way, gol4 could do nothing more nefarious than honking your horn or turning on you climate control to run down your battery.

Is it safe to use this app? It is giving access to the beloved Tesla.....

Theoretically its as safe or unsafe as any other 3rd party Tesla app. Having the option to only use a token does make it safer. In general, it's good to be paranoid about security. Avoid using apps developed by unknown / fly-by-night developers. If you are worried about something more nefarious, remember that every action leaves a digital trail.

best smartwatch integration?
That depends on what smartwatch. For Android Wear, I recommend 'Dashboard for Tesla'. It's not cheap and I'm not the biggest fan of the UI but it integrates nicely with Wear (in app purchase) and it has awesome smart charging (set the charge to finish at a certain time, not start at a certain time). The UI is getting better.
I am not sure if you can do any voice controls from your watch. You'd have to test it out. If you ask, you can get a 1 week free trial.

That depends on what smartwatch. For Android Wear, I recommend 'Dashboard for Tesla'. It's not cheap and I'm not the biggest fan of the UI but it integrates nicely with Wear (in app purchase) and it has awesome smart charging (set the charge to finish at a certain time, not start at a certain time). The UI is getting better.
I am not sure if you can do any voice controls from your watch. You'd have to test it out. If you ask, you can get a 1 week free trial.
Voice control using on Android requires linking EV Car app to Google Assistant. Sadly since WearOS doesn't yet support routines, you have to use the phrase "ask EV car to blah blah" each time sending a command via watch.

Link for EV Car on Google Assistant: https://assistant.google.com/services/a/id/5a33fba4f93f74bc

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Great work @Gol4
However I'm in Denmark and are met with the message that EV Car isn't available in my language or Country.

What is needed for it to be available in Denmark? I don't care whether it is in Danish (however I'm willing to do some translations if you want).

Keep up the good work!

Reactions: mhindi
Model 3 seems to have a problem waking up from third party apps. Can you try this experimental webapp: http://eviecar.io/falcon/teslaweb/ and let me know if it fares better? It uses the same backend but does not have the same timeout limits that Google imposes.
Would you be willing to put the source for this up on GitHub or the like? I was thinking of making the same thing for myself, but why reinvent the wheel?