Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interested in a MS, but I live 115 miles away from service center. Should I be concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not uncommon for any Tesla vehicles to have issues that will require a trip to the SC. Many of the owners on this forum don't seem to mind dropping off their car and leave with a loaner. I assume that they live not too far from a SC. For me it's an easy 1.5 hour one way drive. I'm on the fence about this. If you were in my position, would you pull the trigger?

I would. I live in a northern Dallas suburb. Depending upon traffic, the drive to my local Dallas service center can be 45 minutes. I need to deal with them so rarely that I wouldn't let an additional 45 minutes prevent me from owning this awesome car.

I live over 500 miles from the nearest service center. Also I don't live within range of a super charger (although Tesla's site says they are building some near me this year).
This doesn't bother me, as I'm hoping to have relatively few issues with my car. And if I do have an issue, I've heard great things about Tesla's ranger service which will come to you to make repairs.

It's not uncommon for any Tesla vehicles to have issues that will require a trip to the SC. Many of the owners on this forum don't seem to mind dropping off their car and leave with a loaner. I assume that they live not too far from a SC. For me it's an easy 1.5 hour one way drive. I'm on the fence about this. If you were in my position, would you pull the trigger?

You'll do what a lot of owners already do, which is save up all your issues over X period of time and take it in to have them do all the work at once. Most efficient way for the time being, with how Tesla is set up.

I live over 500 miles from the nearest service center. Also I don't live within range of a super charger (although Tesla's site says they are building some near me this year).
This doesn't bother me, as I'm hoping to have relatively few issues with my car. And if I do have an issue, I've heard great things about Tesla's ranger service which will come to you to make repairs.

Just be aware that while the ranger service is great, it does come at a price. Your fee may be quite high being as far away as you are.

image.jpeg

Go for it. No problems in mine and quality improved. it's really weird in a good way to be going to the service center so infrequently. Not many cars such as the S where it's cool to do this. The X on the other hand- you hear about the QI issues but only Tesla knows the actual percentages. In an S, I would have no issue being a significant distance from the SC.

I have owned my car 3 weeks and been to the service center that many times. It is only 20 minutes away from me and it takes at least an hour out of my day every time. It is incredibly possible your car will have problems and possibly very early on. Mine did.

Just keep that in mind. Don't want a rosy picture painted for you. Everyone tells me my experience is unusual but I'm not so sure with how full I see my local service center every time I go in.

I live 1:15 away from my service center, taking delivery tomorrow. Had the same concerns... but everyone I spoke to with the model S said there really should not be much maintenance, once or twice a year at most. I am also taking a checklist with me to the delivery to make sure we catch everything on the first go.

I see you're in central CA. I'm in Fresno/Clovis. I had the same concern when I bought mine almost 2 years ago. Total visits to a service center for me: Zero. Also, Tesla has a local service guy here in Fresno that services the central valley...he will come to your house, and if service requires a service center, he will take it to Monterey and leave you a loaner. Zero charge.

Go for it.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec
I live 1:15 away from my service center, taking delivery tomorrow. Had the same concerns... but everyone I spoke to with the model S said there really should not be much maintenance, once or twice a year at most. I am also taking a checklist with me to the delivery to make sure we catch everything on the first go.

The maintenance should be, and most likely, is like that. It's the various other items that need fixing, that shouldn't have passed QC, that worry me.

I see you're in central CA. I'm in Fresno/Clovis. I had the same concern when I bought mine almost 2 years ago. Total visits to a service center for me: Zero. Also, Tesla has a local service guy here in Fresno that services the central valley...he will come to your house, and if service requires a service center, he will take it to Monterey and leave you a loaner. Zero charge.

Go for it.
Wow! That's awesome! Is your local Tesla guy working out of Fresno? I don't see a service center in Fresno listed on Tesla's website. I'm in Bakersfield, closest SC is in Van Nuys.

Check out the posts of the New Zealanders importing cars from Australia ! No warranty, no service, a growing number of chargers. That will make your 115 mile trip seem like child's play!

Owning a Tesla in NZ

I, too, live about 115 miles from the Columbus Service Center. Hasn't taken a moments pleasure away from the 10000 miles I have racked up in the first two months of ownership. Go for it; you will never regret it.