Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting finding about Range Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having headlight bulbs (halogen) on in an ICE car can reduce MPG by 1, over the same trip as without.

Having headlight bulbs on in an electric car is proven to have no effect on its MPG.

Here's my sum total advice on Range Mode, actual experience with at least 2 snowy winters down to -40C. I usually don't even think of using range mode until its about 0C outside on a typical day.

Range mode always OFF, unless:

While driving, use range mode ON in winters when I don't want a battery heat cycle on short city trips, especially if I'm making several segments where I'm only away from the car for a bit... before driving again. It's OK to have range mode off for the first segment.

While driving, I've used range mode ON for a long highway segment if there's risk of not making your next charge place. But also do a bunch of other things to reduce battery consumption .. don't rely on just range mode! Things like:
- manage HVAC to minimum safe / tolerable level (just enough to keep frost off front windshield - all other windows don't care). Manually cycle front windshield blower on for a short period / then whole climate off for a while.
- never use rear defroster, ever
- wear warm clothes, boots, gloves, scarves, blankets on laps .. for everyone in car
- draft a semi truck, find a truck that is slower than you'd normally go .. 90km/h is fine
- feather foot it, other hypermile techniques that limit energy burstiness
- no cruise control
- lower the car to lowest air suspension setting
- turn down center console brightness to zero
- before trip check tires inflated 45 psi or up to 50. A cold drop usually takes a few psi off all around.

Here's an important tip not to lose sight of: while parked, always turn range mode OFF, especially when very cold and you're charging.

Last edited:
Save like 2 watts. Might as well get out and push at this point. If you think these small things help, wait until you have the NVIDIA autopilot unit running. Energy draw will probably exceed the rear defroster.

Center console brightness = 30 watts, gain ~ an extra kilometer per tank.
And at night, who needs brightness anyway.
In Canada, it's "night" for most of my commute hours the dead of winter.

No autopilot hardware, no auto pilot, no new NVIDIA... no worries there.
(Wouldn't often be able or safe to use autopilot / or even cruise control on winter roads - ice)

Some people with old headlights worry if high beams use more than low beam and are stingy to use high beam. They use the same amount of energy high or low, so don't fret this one.

New cars with LEDs... are better for consumption overall, so no worry there.

Last edited:
I'm not the one stating pure speculation as a fact you are. I would defer to the Owners Manual and J.B.'s white paper on Range Mode which mentions nothing about what you say. As long as you have no proof it's not true. Sorry :shrug: ;)

"pure speculation" !? @msnow... see post 108

my fact is experienced based (I witnessed it, make it repeatable, etc.)

"not true" !?

I don't need Tesla to tell me anything more, if you need to chase authority figures to confirm facts and seek true truth of the highest order... go ahead and spend that energy.

Are these "picking fights" words, or a general sense of "denial" in your post ... it's showing through louder than you might think. If that's your style, awesome.

What you're maybe really upset about is the result of the election yesterday... That would tend to drive people to be looking for true leadership, seeking truth, and wanting to follow "something". My regrets about that mess USA and what you just suffered through.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: nico180
"pure speculation" !? @msnow... see post 108

my fact is experienced based (I witnessed it, make it repeatable, etc.)

"not true" !?

I don't need Tesla to tell me anything more, if you need to chase authority figures to confirm facts and seek true truth of the highest order... go ahead and spend that energy.

Are these "picking fights" words, or a general sense of "denial" in your post ... it's showing through louder than you might think. If that's your style, awesome.

What you're maybe really upset about is the result of the election yesterday... That would tend to drive people to be looking for true leadership, seeking truth, and wanting to follow "something". My regrets about that mess USA and what you just suffered through.
No, what I'm saying is not based on election results (although that did piss me off). What I'm trying to say and perhaps too sharply (sorry) is that nowhere have I seen or heard what you said before and it doesn't make sense based on other white papers from the battery people at Tesla. So barring see that, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Reactions: Andyw2100
Do you have a URL for J.B.'s white paper? I've never seen it and haven't had any luck searching for it.

TIA
I did a quick search and found two blogs from JB on Range Mode but not the one I was searching for. Someone that used to be on this forum (Andy?) provided the link I'm referencing in a thread and what I recall from it was JB's discussion on how Range Mode impacts dual motor torque sleep which effects range. In the Q&A at the end it was asked (paraphrasing) how he personally uses Range Mode and if there is any downside. He said he keeps it on all the time and there is no downside although he acknowledged there's more benefit when driving longer sustained trips. But there wasn't anything about charging in cold weather.

Driving Range for the Model S Family
Roadster Efficiency and Range

The thing to remember is all the user switches in the car are super dumb. Range mode forces the battery heater off under all circumstances. Unless of course they've actually decided to pay attention to cold weather usability, which I'm sure they haven't because there are a few canary's for that. Like the heated steering wheel control, which is still dumb.

I toggle range mode on and off in the winter to defrost me. Completely ridiculous.