Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior Camera in Model 3 Rear View Mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that's what the article says, however I'm wondering why. Why would Level 3 autonomy need to know if the driver is alert or something?

Its my understanding that the increasing levels of autonomy require less and less involvement by they driver.

Level 3: Drivers are still necessary in level 3 cars, but are able to completely shift "safety-critical functions" to the vehicle, under certain traffic or environmental conditions. It means that the driver is still present and will intervene if necessary, but is not required to monitor the situation in the same way it does for the previous levels.

Levels 4 and 5 are when you hit full driverless.

Motion control.. why else?

Minority-Report-Dogs.gif

• Funny
Reactions: McRat
Lex Fridman should be happy.

Here's the talk he gave at our TMC conference in 2016
The Tesla gentleman in this video keeps saying that Tesla needs much more autopilot miles to gather true autopilot data. I don't disagree, however I see this in a different light. If Tesla can get more cars out there sooner they will get more miles. If they get me my Model 3 tomorrow......I will get them over 100 miles per day as I drive to work.

Reactions: Kacey Green
The Tesla gentleman in this video keeps saying that Tesla needs much more autopilot miles to gather true autopilot data. I don't disagree, however I see this in a different light. If Tesla can get more cars out there sooner they will get more miles. If they get me my Model 3 tomorrow......I will get them over 100 miles per day as I drive to work.
That was not a 'Tesla gentleman' --- Dr. Lex Fridman is a postdoctoral associate working on Deep Learning and Computer Vision in the context of Shared Autonomy and Intelligent Vehicle Systems at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

This may be part of NVIDIA's AI Co-Pilot capability. Refer to ~51:00 minutes into the video below on NVIDIA's self-driving car presentation from CES 2017. TESLA is using NVIDIA AI car platform.
NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang to Keynote CES 2017

More info: In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) & Navigation Systems Powered by NVIDIA DRIVE

It would seem you may have hit the nail on the head with both those links and information.

In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) & Navigation Systems Powered by NVIDIA DRIVE

JzYPC6J.jpg

Their AI 'co-pilot' is either driving you or looking out for you. Example, you are gazing off slightly to the left but AI 'co-pilot' sees a bicycle coming up on the right hand side of the road. Makes you aware of it since you are not looking that way.

3IX4En2.jpg

3vUEvSa.jpg