Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Internal docs indicate Tesla to allow salvaged vehicles back on Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just went through the process with my 2012 Model S #0007. A couple of months after I bought 007 from my brother in 2018, the unlimited free supercharging for life was disabled. The Service Center told me that mine was a salvage title car and that not only could I not use the supercharging network but they couldn't work on it! A month later, they told me that if it passed the High Voltage Test, $550, then they could work on it, but I could not use the supercharging network. I resigned myself to having a great car for driving around town in. Cut to December 2022 and I'm picking up the car at the service center and I ask if anything ever changed on the salvage title process. I was told that yes, just a few weeks prior. The car had to pass the High Voltage Test and a Supercharging Test. As I had passed the High Voltage Test, just needed the Supercharging test. And was told it was good I had the High Voltage Test back then as it was now $2,200. $125 to $150 for the Supercharging Test. ($153.75 actually) But, when they were doing the test, they had to perform an "Active Louver Upgrade" for it to pass a thermal test: $1,273.06. I now have the unlimited free supercharging back.

I was quoted $2652 to have my salvaged Model 3 battery inspect at a northern California Tesla dealer in order to be able to use the superchargers. Many youtubers mentioned that it costs around $900-$1200 in their areas. Anyone experience your salvaged Tesla with the re-certify process? $2652 plus tax means almost $3000 just for Tesla to look at, not even to mention it will pass the inspection or not, is kind of hard to swallow. I appreciate if you can share your experience and thoughts on this matter.

Couldn’t you get the CCS upgrade (if your car is older) then charge via the app and a CCS adapter at public EV chargers and the Superchargers with the MagicDock?
Reports from Europe are that it doesn’t work there, but I haven’t seen anybody try it here in the US with the Magic Dock. I failed the HV Safety Inspection, but I had previously installed the European CCS retrofit kit so I can charge with CCS1 installed. Hoping to try it with the Magic dock soon but I’m not driving to New York from Florida just for that test. If you live in New York and have a salvage Tesla we should chat 😀

Let me be clear: for an unsupported vehicle with CCS enabled,

- Public CCS OK.
- Tesla supercharger as 3rd party vehicle FAIL.

And the last one:

- Safety inspection of a gray (imported) vehicle in a different core market -> No luck so far. (Any SC recommendations in Europe that might have an open mind???)

Reactions: SpectreFCO
I was quoted $2652 to have my salvaged Model 3 battery inspect at a northern California Tesla dealer in order to be able to use the superchargers. Many youtubers mentioned that it costs around $900-$1200 in their areas. Anyone experience your salvaged Tesla with the re-certify process? $2652 plus tax means almost $3000 just for Tesla to look at, not even to mention it will pass the inspection or not, is kind of hard to swallow. I appreciate if you can share your experience and thoughts on this matter.
I saw someone post a invoice that showed $880 and he stated that is what he paid for the salvage title HV inspection and test and once he passed the supercharging capability was reinstated.

Does anyone know what they inspect for the re-certify process? They inspect the HV components, but that doesn't explain any pass/fail criteria or what they even look for. I have a few scratches on the bottom surface of my battery and would really like to understand if there is a depth minimum/maximum standard. I did some searching here on this forum and on the googles generally, but couldn't find any details.

Does anyone know what they inspect for the re-certify process? They inspect the HV components, but that doesn't explain any pass/fail criteria or what they even look for. I have a few scratches on the bottom surface of my battery and would really like to understand if there is a depth minimum/maximum standard. I did some searching here on this forum and on the googles generally, but couldn't find any details.
This question is best posed to the service center directly. As some users have reported issues, while others have gone through the process just fine.

scratches or gouges? I don't believe scratches would be much of an issue but gouges possibly.

Article yesterday about owners suing Tesla for reducing range (OTA change) using the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. See Tesla owners sue over impact of software update on EV batteries If they succeed it would be precedent to stop Tesla from OTA changes to owner's cars to remove ability to SC. I don't disagree with Tesla refusing SC service to anyone they wish but I've long disagreed with them fidling (OTA changes) to my car without my permission. "The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court in San Francisco, argues impacted Tesla vehicles are “protected computers” under the definition outlined in the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and that automatic updates violate consumers’ rights under the law." That quote in the lawsuit applies 100% to what Tesla does to shut down SC.

Reactions: brainhouston
The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court in San Francisco, argues impacted Tesla vehicles are “protected computers” under the definition outlined in the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and that automatic updates violate consumers’ rights under the law.
Of course, there are no automatic updates. Someone has to hit the schedule it or install it button before the update is installed. (There is a lot of garbage in that suit.)

That same claim was used in the #BatteryGate suit, and I seem to recall Tesla explaining why the "Computer Fraud and Abuse Act" didn't apply. Of course, since it was settled we didn't get any actual decision about that claim.

I don't expect that suit to go anywhere as @Recell and @wk057 have both said that the update didn't cause the error and that the packs have actually failed. (Regardless of some hack installing hardware to forcibly reset/remove the error state allowing the pack to continue to be used, increasing the chance of a catastrophic failure.)

Of course, there are no automatic updates. Someone has to hit the schedule it or install it button before the update is installed. (There is a lot of garbage in that suit.)
Could be garbage but Tesla can also install any change to car software without owner knowledge, permission, or notification. Hopefully it's not just another lawsuit inspired by the likelihood of out-of-court settlement. Also I believe that district court in SF was also the same court headed by judge charles breyer who was severly unkind to VW during the diesel settlement few years ago.

That same claim was used in the #BatteryGate suit, and I seem to recall Tesla explaining why the "Computer Fraud and Abuse Act" didn't apply. Of course, since it was settled we didn't get any actual decision about that claim.

I don't expect that suit to go anywhere as @Recell and @wk057 have both said that the update didn't cause the error and that the packs have actually failed. (Regardless of some hack installing hardware to forcibly reset/remove the error state allowing the pack to continue to be used, increasing the chance of a catastrophic failure.)

Happy to help Tesla out as an unaffiliated third party expert if they need the assist.

The updates definitely are not the cause of any of these issues. In fact, under older software the same issue would result in the inability to drive at all. The newer one at least gets you some usability to save on towing costs and such.

Last edited:
Reactions: Recell and MP3Mike