Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Internal docs indicate Tesla to allow salvaged vehicles back on Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's hoping! See article for details

Electrek obtained internal Tesla documents that details a new process being put in place to inspect salvaged Tesla vehicles and give them back access to fast-charging.

In the document titled “Salvaged-Titled Vehicle Fast Charging Safety Inspection,” Tesla explains a two-step process that involves inspecting the high-voltage battery pack and all the components related to charging.

If the car passes the inspections, Tesla will reenable fast charging, and if it doesn’t, the company will offer repairs.

I think we may have to wait to hear this officially from Tesla. Internal documents however genuine do not become a policy automatically. It is therefore best to wait to hear this from Tesla. One of the key issue is the proper function and safety of the battery pack since it stores a lot of energy ( like a gunpowder keg) and any malfunction can be fatal and lead to liability and bad press.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
The main thing would be, what does all that cost? Reading the article, its 2 separate inspections. Given that the reason that most people who would even consider a salvage vehicle is "cost", if the cost of these inspections is prohibitive, Tesla can "appear to comply" but not really comply.

Reactions: dhrivnak
The main thing would be, what does all that cost? Reading the article, its 2 separate inspections. Given that the reason that most people who would even consider a salvage vehicle is "cost", if the cost of these inspections is prohibitive, Tesla can "appear to comply" but not really comply.
Yeah, I can see the charge for those two inspections to easily be $1k, which is cheaper than buying a clear title Tesla but still not something to take lightly. At this point in my life I think I'd prefer to get a decent deal on a used clean title, there's plenty of that around it seems if one is ready and able to purchase.

I posted it in the other thread. I can repost here if that helps?

For anyone curious here's the post from the other thread(s):

PSA: It's the same cost(and process) as the old High Voltage inspection, but renamed. 900$

(@jjrandorin maybe we could put all of this discussion within one thread, so as to eliminate the sheer amount of misinformation/disinformation on this subject?)

No matter what we moderators do, this topic is likely to pop up in multiple vehicle subforums, because there are owners of each model who have salvage vehicles.

Even if I wanted to, I couldnt consolidate them myself, since mod duites are split up here due to the size of the site. I dont have mod rights here in this subforum.

• Informative
I think we may have to wait to hear this officially from Tesla. Internal documents however genuine do not become a policy automatically. It is therefore best to wait to hear this from Tesla. One of the key issue is the proper function and safety of the battery pack since it stores a lot of energy ( like a gunpowder keg) and any malfunction can be fatal and lead to liability and bad press.
I don't remember Tesla writing anywhere that the reason they cut SC to salvage cars is due to safety of any sort. Non-Tesla fast DC charge stations seem to not be worried about a salvage vehicle using their stations as there is not protocol to cut that so why is Tesla so concerned as per your belief?

I have yet to read any evidence of salvage vehicles destroying a charge station besides an anecdote. I have yet to read why that poses a risk to the station owner as insurance and liability ins would take care of any fault and if it was the fault of the vehicle then there's no issue at all for the station owner.

Additionally I rebuke the gunpowder keg analogy as I have yet to read about a battery that explodes like gunpowder.

The only logical explanation why Tesla every cut SC to salvage vehicles is simply a business purpose so that salvage vehicles would be so undesireable that a buyer would prefer to buy new.

I don't remember Tesla writing anywhere that the reason they cut SC to salvage cars is due to safety of any sort. Non-Tesla fast DC charge stations seem to not be worried about a salvage vehicle using their stations as there is not protocol to cut that so why is Tesla so concerned as per your belief?

I have yet to read any evidence of salvage vehicles destroying a charge station besides an anecdote. I have yet to read why that poses a risk to the station owner as insurance and liability ins would take care of any fault and if it was the fault of the vehicle then there's no issue at all for the station owner.

Additionally I rebuke the gunpowder keg analogy as I have yet to read about a battery that explodes like gunpowder.

The only logical explanation why Tesla every cut SC to salvage vehicles is simply a business purpose so that salvage vehicles would be so undesireable that a buyer would prefer to buy new.
Well the reason i gave the gunpowder analogy is that 80 or 100KW is a lot of energy which if it malfunctions due to any reason creates a fire which is difficult to contain - remember the Samsung galaxy phones with is tiny mAh battery capacity which was catching fire resulting in airlines banning the item in checked bags. Even before that in Boeing 787 the Li Ion batteries were catching fire resulting in grounding the entire fleet till Panasonic identified the cause and provided a fix and on top of that FAA directed Boeing to build a heat/fire metal enclosure cabinet around the battery to contain the temp in case the battery malfunctioned to contain the heat and fumes from spreading. Even accident crashed Tesla with a damaged battery poses a fire threat even when they are stored salvage yard or junkyard.
Tesla spontaneously catches fire while sitting in California junkyard.

I bought a 2020 Model 3 in August of 2021 with a Salvage title and I drove it for 10k miles including two trips to LV, NV with no proble,, but I developed a problem with my scroll buttons and horn and Ii had to tke it to the dealer in NM to get it fixed. Tesla required me to get a High Voltage Test before they would work on it and the test revealed no problems with the battery, but after I got the vehicle back, I was blocked from charging and told that the vehicle would not be supported because of the Salvage Title. I heard about the change and I got a strange message about “preconditioning for supercharging” on my screen, so I went to the supercharger here in Albuquerque, and I was able to charge the vehicle. AA9D0CA1-7931-400E-864A-840E61E4D309.jpeg

In a sense this is inevitable. Since Tesla are gradually opening their charging network to non-Tesla’s, they more or less have to accept re-built Tesla’s too .. after all, how can they manage/control 3rd party cars using SCs? That cant, of course, and if they can’t do that the arguments against allowing re-built Tesla’s of unknown provenance fall apart, since EVERY non-Tesla is “unknown provenance” by definition.

I bought a 2020 Model 3 in August of 2021 with a Salvage title and I drove it for 10k miles including two trips to LV, NV with no proble,, but I developed a problem with my scroll buttons and horn and Ii had to tke it to the dealer in NM to get it fixed. Tesla required me to get a High Voltage Test before they would work on it and the test revealed no problems with the battery, but after I got the vehicle back, I was blocked from charging and told that the vehicle would not be supported because of the Salvage Title. I heard about the change and I got a strange message about “preconditioning for supercharging” on my screen, so I went to the supercharger here in Albuquerque, and I was able to charge the vehicle. View attachment 874554
Congrats on the SC reinstatement!

In a sense this is inevitable. Since Tesla are gradually opening their charging network to non-Tesla’s, they more or less have to accept re-built Tesla’s too .. after all, how can they manage/control 3rd party cars using SCs? That cant, of course, and if they can’t do that the arguments against allowing re-built Tesla’s of unknown provenance fall apart, since EVERY non-Tesla is “unknown provenance” by definition.
Tesla is not the best run company when to comes to customer service- policies are not well defined and even less understood , no body is available on the ph and often get different answers to support issue queries. I hope competition helps to bring back support to an acceptable level because right now it is sub par with other car companies- especially when you compare the price we pay for the car.

I don't remember Tesla writing anywhere that the reason they cut SC to salvage cars is due to safety of any sort.
It was kind of the secondary effect. If a car did have a problem during Supercharging and catch fire, it would be another terrible black eye of negative publicity. I'm pretty sure that's what they wanted to avoid.

Non-Tesla fast DC charge stations seem to not be worried about a salvage vehicle using their stations as there is not protocol to cut that so why is Tesla so concerned as per your belief?
The other stations never identified the exact VIN to identify the exact car that was using the station, so they never had any method to know whether a car using the station was salvage or not. So the issue of whether they were "worried" or not about it was irrelevant. With "Plug & Charge", that kind of changes, where they can identify the specific car, so that could be possible in the future, but Plug & Charge still isn't widely implemented yet. Tesla always could identify the exact car, so they could do this.

It was kind of the secondary effect. If a car did have a problem during Supercharging and catch fire, it would be another terrible black eye of negative publicity. I'm pretty sure that's what they wanted to avoid.
"Pretty sure" is an opinion. You're welcome to it. I'm just pointing out fact that no one but Tesla knows and that my opion, which I think is more believable, is that it's a business decision to get buyers to buy new
The other stations never identified the exact VIN to identify the exact car that was using the station, so they never had any method to know whether a car using the station was salvage or not. So the issue of whether they were "worried" or not about it was irrelevant. With "Plug & Charge", that kind of changes, where they can identify the specific car, so that could be possible in the future, but Plug & Charge still isn't widely implemented yet. Tesla always could identify the exact car, so they could do this.
That doesn't explain why they chose to take that risk, if there even is one. You're just writing what is already known. So that's the conflict to reconcile if you believe Tesla cut SC for "safety" reasons. I think we can end it here. Lets keep our opinions but inform other readers as well.

I bought a 2020 Model 3 in August of 2021 with a Salvage title and I drove it for 10k miles including two trips to LV, NV with no proble,, but I developed a problem with my scroll buttons and horn and Ii had to tke it to the dealer in NM to get it fixed. Tesla required me to get a High Voltage Test before they would work on it and the test revealed no problems with the battery, but after I got the vehicle back, I was blocked from charging and told that the vehicle would not be supported because of the Salvage Title. I heard about the change and I got a strange message about “preconditioning for supercharging” on my screen, so I went to the supercharger here in Albuquerque, and I was able to charge the vehicle. View attachment 874554
That's really interesting. Can you explain what/how the message was? I have a salvage 3 that had a safety inspection and tested it on a SC station last night but it didn't work. I can navigate to a SC station and when doing so I'll get a message that preconditioning is occuring but I don't actually believe it because I don't see an energy drop and fan running as is common when the battery heats up.

When the car had SC I remember there was a menu option in either charging or autopilot that was removed when SC was removed.

"Pretty sure" is an opinion. You're welcome to it. I'm just pointing out fact that no one but Tesla knows
Yes, of course. That is my opinion.
it's a business decision to get buyers to buy new
You do recall that Tesla has continually been overwhelmed with too much demand for the last several years and has always been struggling to increase production capacity to catch up, right? Trying to motivate buyers to buy new cars has never really been a factor.

which I think is more believable,
So objectively, logically, your opinion seems less likely. There are always going to be plenty of customers for the new cars, and those salvage vehicles will still exist being driven by someone.

• Disagree