Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Introducing: byteRyde - Insurance for Teslas with Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone! Since this is our first thread, the byteRyde team would like to take this opportunity to properly introduce ourselves to the TMC community. My name is Josh and I am one of the Founders of byteRyde / run the account here. So if you ever have questions please feel free to reach out.

What Do We Do:
byteRyde is an insurtech startup out of San Francisco that is helping Tesla owners save money on their car insurance. We provide owners with a smarter insurance solution, one that takes into account the safety benefits of owning a Tesla and rewards drivers with a Cash Bonus Rebate for having features like EAP installed.

Getting a Quote:

We are currently in private beta, however, we are offering exclusive access to the Tesla Motors Club members. This means TMC members are able to get a quote right now and even purchase insurance for their Tesla before the rest of the public. We can also insure other vehicles besides your Tesla in the event anyone has multiple cars that they need to cover.

USE ACCESS CODE: TMC (byteRyde - Insurance for Teslas with Autopilot)

There is no commitment required to get a quote so if you are curious if you would be able to save money, you can get a quote here (www.byteryde.com). Also, as an alternative to signing in with your Tesla, you can email us at [email protected] for a manually generated quote.

What Other Tesla Owners Are Saying:
JohnS Testimonial.png
Joy Testimonial.png

Tesla Twitter Testimonial.png

Stay up to date with us:

Twitter: @byteRyde
Facebook: @byteRyde

Attachments

• JohnS Testimonial.png
    JohnS Testimonial.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Tesla Twitter Testimonial.png
    Tesla Twitter Testimonial.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 44
Why are you asking for our Tesla account credentials in order to give out a quote ? I just sent an email making that request but curious why a Tesla account was being requested as an option for the quote ?

So we give everyone the option to use their Tesla to get a quote for a few reasons, the first is for ease of use. When you use your Tesla to get the quote it will automatically populate all of your Tesla's details. This means no more answering questions about your car which saves you time and is convenient. The other part is that it tells us which type of Autopilot you have and if you are eligible for our Autopilot Cash Bonus rebate (this is where we give you cash back for having EAP installed).

Hope that helps!

• Disagree
Reactions: ecarfan
So we give everyone the option to use their Tesla to get a quote for a few reasons, the first is for ease of use. When you use your Tesla to get the quote it will automatically populate all of your Tesla's details. This means no more answering questions about your car which saves you time and is convenient. The other part is that it tells us which type of Autopilot you have and if you are eligible for our Autopilot Cash Bonus rebate (this is where we give you cash back for having EAP installed).

Hope that helps!

Thanks, that helped me decide not to ask for a quote.

Asking for my tesla.com credentials is extremely sketchy — even if it's optional. The fact that you're saying it'll be ok, because it's easier... well, I couldn't trust an insurer that's that sloppy about security.

It'd be ok if you used something like oauth to get an API token from tesla, and I could verify that the token was read-only.

Nothing personal intended BTW. But if you're serious about this startup, you'll be open to feedback and take it seriously.

Hope that helps!

I did roll the dice on the security. The backend-av.byteryde.com//tesla_login/ response with - Server Error (500)

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
Not cheaper despite decreased mileage (from 24,000 miles to 12,500 miles each car) and Bodily Injury (from 250,000 / 500,000 to 100,000 / 300,000)

Wawanesa.com only asks for a clean history for the past 3 years but ByteRyde asks for Accident history for the past 5 years and Violations for the past 10 years!!!

Wawanesa.com : 2017 Tesla Model X $529.05 / 6 months + 2018 Tesla Model 3 $514.31 / 6 months = $1,043.36 / 6 months or $173.89 / month for 2 cars

6Ac9B6e.jpg

Versus:

upload_2019-7-10_22-50-50.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mblakele
Sorry @Josh_byteRyde, never ask anyone for their username and password!
And you do not need MyTesla account credentials to get access to our car data for an initial quote.

Even if you did, as @mblakele said, you do that using oauth today.
The fact that your are processing passwords is nuts.
Most people are aware these days, but some may not understand the risk...very misleading.

Look, we want insurance options. We want you to succeed. Just ask for the model, year, mileage, APversion, FSD questions. Its pretty simple.

If it turns out that your risk model benefits from usage data (assuming the API even provides that), then your customers may grant oauth access after you underwrite them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ecarfan
Not cheaper despite decreased mileage (from 24,000 miles to 12,500 miles each car) and Bodily Injury (from 250,000 / 500,000 to 100,000 / 300,000)

Wawanesa.com only asks for a clean history for the past 3 years but ByteRyde asks for Accident history for the past 5 years and Violations for the past 10 years!!!

Wawanesa.com : 2017 Tesla Model X $529.05 / 6 months + 2018 Tesla Model 3 $514.31 / 6 months = $1,043.36 / 6 months or $173.89 / month for 2 cars

6Ac9B6e.jpg

Versus:

View attachment 428528
Hi Tam,

Thanks for sharing this comparison. I believe I sent you an email yesterday right after you got your quote, did you happen to see the new numbers I pulled together for you?

Best,
Josh

Got the quote. I have three cars, Honda Odyssey van, 2013 Model S and 2018 Model 3. The quote covered the S and the 3 only, and it is the same price i currently pay for all 3 cars. So, at least for me, ByteRyde isn't cheaper...
Hi Randy, thanks for the feedback! I'll look into your quote to see if there is anything I can do to help. And to your point, we may not be the cheapest solution for people 100/100 times, but most of the time we are. I'll reach out via email later this morning.

Hi BerTX, you're correct, right now we're only available in California, however, we are working as fast as we can to branch out into other states and we'll let you know as soon as we become available outside of California.
My bad -- I didn't notice this was in the California sub-forum. Looking forward to your working out the kinks and becoming more widely available.

Hope that helps!
Sorry Josh, but I never give anyone my Tesla account credentials.

Your reasoning is absurd. I am happy to spend a minute to enter my basic information and check a box saying my car has Auto Pilot. But I would never provide any business or person with my Tesla account login info.

If you want my business, don’t compromise my car’s security.

Last edited: