Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory vs. Customer Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've bought 8 Teslas over the past 3 years and never had to pay or sign the paperwork before inspecting the cars. Once we inspect the car, we do an ACH transfer.

8, please, I just sold my 14th......time for you to catch up.
Boy, you two move quickly. I’ve been a Tesla owner since March of 2014 and I still have my original two...

Did you buy your Mercedes from inventory? I believe you are over-thinking this. But I understand where you are coming from. Most people (including me) would prefer to see the car, on the dealer lot, check it out (maybe even think about it for a couple days and return), test drive it, and buy the car that day knowing exactly what you are buying. Tesla is not like this and probably something you have to get over because the people you will speak with generally have no idea what they are talking about. You think they are lying but the reality is they don't know and may even think they are correct.

FWIW, I bought a April 19 build "inventory" car in April (7 miles on odo). Nothing was finalized until I saw the car.

We bought our March built "inventory" 2015 Model S P85D with 2,900 miles on it at the end of July. It was the exact model, color, finishes and had every option we were going to special order... Plus Cold Weather Package which now that we've had it love. The 21" Turbine rims needed buffing but otherwise it was flawless... Probably because it was on display in one of our local Tesla showrooms which enabled us to look it over carefully.

Buying inventory:
  • saved us a lot of money
  • still qualified for the $7,500 federal tax credit + $2,500 CA rebate
  • entitled us to the half price $5,000 Ludicrous upgrade too (normally $10,000 on P85D's)
  • got us delivery in a week
We'll buy our next Tesla as an "inventory" car if we can. Awesome experience and great savings.

IMG_4896.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman and jvmoore1
As the OP I will give some feedback. I got my Model 3 today (left factory on 06/30/19) so not "just of the factory floor". The car is very nice and it has HW3 (based on video HECV format). When we arrived our car was out front (checked VIN). So the wife and I did our inspection before even going into the office since we were there early. But, the first thing we were ask to do was to sign papers. I was prepared to say I wanted to see the car first and go thru that but being able to review first worked out with less stress and confrontation. Would be nice if they simply offered us the option.

Reactions: jvmoore1
I was matched with a car that was built July 13th... why it’s still sitting in Portland I have no idea. I often see 10 or less cars (of all configs) between the Seattle and Portland stores... yet my car has hung around there for two weeks...

It has TWO miles on it, so it hasn’t been shuffled back and forth much at all, I was also told it was at an off site lot, so I doubt people have been pawing all over it. I’ve also been told it has HW 3.0... but we’ll see if that’s accurate or not when I take delivery.

Basically if they match you with a car that has like 10 miles or less I wouldn’t fuss, if it’s like 50 miles then maybe demand you want to inspect it first and know the build date/hardware specs before taking delivery, especially if you’re far from a service center and plan on getting FSD. (Though a mobile ranger might be able to swap AP hardware in your driveway for you when the time comes?)

So I bought what I thought was a brand new model 3 “inventory” car with 472 miles at the end of June. I go to register it on July 25th after finally getting the paperwork mailed to me. I end up not being able to register it because it is already titled to someone else lol. So I guess it was a return vehicle. Now I’m just in limbo. So be careful buying an “inventory” car.

So I bought what I thought was a brand new model 3 “inventory” car with 472 miles at the end of June. I go to register it on July 25th after finally getting the paperwork mailed to me. I end up not being able to register it because it is already titled to someone else lol. So I guess it was a return vehicle. Now I’m just in limbo. So be careful buying an “inventory” car.

If it’s been titled you won’t qualify for the federal tax credit. Inventory vehicles are cars that Tesla has used for show room examples or test drives, they’re sold new and never titled. 7 day returns are sold as used.

Edit: there also might be some confusion about inventory vehicles (as described above) and new cars that were already built and happen to be at a Tesla sales center. I believe the OP wanted to place a custom order and have it roll out of the factory. However, there might be one that rolled out of the factory a couple weeks before and shipped to his region that they want to match him with. This car wouldn’t have been in a show room for display, wouldn’t have been test driven, absolutely couldn’t have been sold and then returned, etc.