Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Investor Engineering Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except that 16x3x14kWh = 672kWh
So something isn't quite right there.

Indeed, so not not the full picture. I just threw this in because the source seems to be some sort of quasi-insider in the Tesla Semi program (or at least is playing one on the blue'bird).

Wonder if LR Semi has "3 modules, SR Semi has 2 modules, CT has 1 module" is possible? Obviously, not 4680 cells currently, but I think Tesla would be wise to create a range of CT packs with both cell formats to hedge tech+supply issues, and to provide for lower trim CT options in the future.

Ceres!

mars-rover-nasa.jpg

Indeed, so not not the full picture. I just threw this in because the source seems to be some sort of quasi-insider in the Tesla Semi program (or at least is playing one on the blue'bird).

Wonder if LR Semi has "3 modules, SR Semi has 2 modules, CT has 1 module" is possible? Obviously, not 4680 cells currently, but I think Tesla would be wise to create a range of CT packs with both cell formats to hedge tech+supply issues, and to provide for lower trim CT options in the future.

Ceres!

mars-rover-nasa.jpg

I doubt it. Since Tesla has determined that structural packs are their newest optimization, "modules" would be a step backwards. They have a large car platform, a mid-size platform, and now a semi-truck platform. I think the CT would be its own separate platform. Any body-style that shares it would have to use the same size AND shape pack.

Reactions: navguy12 and JRP3
The packs in the S do vent through the side box-section frame rails and vent away from the passenger cabin & doors to the front, so it it plausible. I've seen pics of a few S battery fires where flames were exiting from the rear of the front wheel wells.
Could be but that would mean they were able to extinguish the pack fire before it consumed the cabin.

Someone was talking a while back in the main thread about the image in the investor deck with 11 robots working on the one vehicle. They suggested this was uncommon and I agreed at the time, but looking back at some old footage, I guess no?

You can see from this footage from Berlin there are places on the existing lines with at leat 5-8 robots working the vehicles at the same time. It might be more than that, the drone kind of shoots through there.

• Informative
Reactions: MC3OZ

Implications of the Electric Vehicle Manufacturers’ Decision to Mass Adopt Lithium-Iron Phosphate Batteries

Tesla is mentioned specifically:-

it will have to purchase the batteries from China and incur the associated costs: a 10% import tariff, around 1% shipping costs, and a 3% licensing fee due to the patents. With all the additional costs, Tesla saves only 6% by moving from NCA to LFP batteries, when the original cost of LFP batteries should result in savings of 20% [53]. When the patents expire, however, Tesla will be able to manufacture its own batteries, getting closer to its goal of ‘‘localizing all key parts of the vehicles on the continent’’ (i.e., moving battery production closer to its factories) [96]. This should result in significant cost savings because of the streamlined logistics.

The press delivers one casting per 45 seconds, afaik. Single cast and you double the press output. Add parts to the casting and it’s almost like getting those parts for the material cost. If they can be mated immediately to the body you’ve eliminated a stock item. A part minus the normal headaches of a part.
The problem I see is that the smaller channels needed to feed multiple parts may cause cooling issues during casting. Doing single castings means the one part is filled almost instantly and localized cooling is avoided.

Actually, looking at videos of the gigacasts in Fremont, Tesla already does this to a degree. There are "additional parts" that are cast with the main casts, and then cut off. It's not a ton of parts, but it did look like other, smaller parts were in there.

Videos I was looking at were about 18 months old, so don't know how much this has changed.
You sure those weren't flashings that got removed?

Reactions: mongo
Actually, looking at videos of the gigacasts in Fremont, Tesla already does this to a degree. There are "additional parts" that are cast with the main casts, and then cut off. It's not a ton of parts, but it did look like other, smaller parts were in there.

Videos I was looking at were about 18 months old, so don't know how much this has changed.
Are those extra parts or just runners to tune the flow of aluminum? It seems (from other videos and grip position) only the main casting is removed after the machining step.

Reactions: CorneliusXX
Are those extra parts or just runners to tune the flow of aluminum? It seems (from other videos and grip position) only the main casting is removed after the machining step.

This was the video I was referring to. If those are runners, they certainly are odd-shaped. Would expect them to be linear, not rounded and square in the middle of the free space.

I don't think we've seen anything in the tear downs that looks like parts which might come from that area, I think it's waste from the casting process and is cut out and recycled.

gigapress.JPG

Having worked first hand on a Model S (forget 3/Y - where there are MANY more cast parts), there are a multitude of smaller cast parts throughout the car. You cannot make the claim you just did.

This was discussed in 2021, lol.

Doesn't look like Flash to me. Part of it could be for monitoring the materials process, but those there look like parts. And you know what they say...

Parts is parts, just like grease is grease!

1639232904258-png.743122

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and bkp_duke
There is a excellent post of the Boring Co from @Gigapress here:- Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

The latest (unofficial) update on the Boring co is here:-

The relevance of the Boring Co is that if the Boring Co is successful EVs are bugger part of the transport solution meaning that Tesla seels more cars.

The Boring Co can also potentially reshape cities into much more liveable spaces that are enjoyable and relaxing to inhabit.

I'm going to focus on one particular redevelopment opportunity below.