Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fit / finish and aesthetics left a good impression. Let's see him tear one apart and get into how its engineered and constructed.

Also worth noting, Sandy and his company offer services to help manufacturers streamline production, simplify parts, and reduce costs. He rails on "over engineered" and superfluous stuff quite frequently, which are not necessarily indicative of quality problems.
Yeah it’ll be interesting to see what the details look like when they dig into it. But it has an 800v system, bi directional charging, ac seats, car play, shade for the sunroof built in, actual blind spot monitoring, etc etc.

It’s much better equipped than the Y for sure and I would definitely consider one. A downside is I believe it doesn’t have a heat pump, only the EV6 does. I think the styling was knocked out of the park. I think some of the storage space deficit is due to the smaller size. Make it the same size as a Y and they would probably be equal.

Yeah it’ll be interesting to see what the details look like when they dig into it. But it has an 800v system, bi directional charging, ac seats, car play, shade for the sunroof built in, actual blind spot monitoring, etc etc.

It’s much better equipped than the Y for sure and I would definitely consider one. A downside is I believe it doesn’t have a heat pump, only the EV6 does. I think the styling was knocked out of the park. I think some of the storage space deficit is due to the smaller size. Make it the same size as a Y and they would probably be equal.
They do have a heat pump except the base level RWD. I posted a link to the Ioniq 5 forum post the lists the specs for each trim level.

but its not really "their" stated range is it? its just an EPA drive test...
I feel like we're have separate conversations.

Go here:

Look for yourself what Tesla claims the range of MYLR / MYP are. Those are based on EPA figures. Now look at the 3 sample "real world" range tests people have done, admittedly under non-controlled circumstances. Compare the % over / under range, relative to the other manufacturers who also have similar range claims. At this point we will be having the same conversation.

I feel like we're have separate conversations.

Go here:

Look for yourself what Tesla claims the range of MYLR / MYP are. Those are based on EPA figures. Now look at the 3 sample "real world" range tests people have done, admittedly under non-controlled circumstances. Compare the % over / under range, relative to the other manufacturers who also have similar range claims. At this point we will be having the same conversation.
yeah Tesla publishes the EPA range on their website.. but it's not like a unique test for tesla cars? is it their fault they perform so well on the EPA test but not at 75 mph? the faster you go the more the square of the drag will bring u down.. so it makes sense the most efficient vehicles will suffer when going highway speeds (and the most percentage wise)... yet they are still the most efficient.. i dont see that as a "knock" on Tesla

take super inefficient 12mpg type vehicles.. they get 12mpg at 50 mph and get basically 12mpg at 80 mph... is that something to be applauded?

• Disagree
Reactions: Daekwan
IMO, ioniq 5 looks better than Y. range is more close to real world. but dealer ask me to agree to pay 5k markup to get test drive, I said good luck and walked away and ordered Y instead same day
Wait, you can't test drive an Ionic 5 unless you agree to buy one at a markup? So what would be the point of a test drive in this scenario?

Anyway, I think the Ionic 5 look good and seems to be well equipped. I do think some aspects of the exterior seem over-designed in pictures and videos, but maybe it's better in person. I'd love to test drive one someday. Seems like a real legit competitor in the EV market for sure.

Wait, you can't test drive an Ionic 5 unless you agree to buy one at a markup? So what would be the point of a test drive in this scenario?

Anyway, I think the Ionic 5 look good and seems to be well equipped. I do think some aspects of the exterior seem over-designed in pictures and videos, but maybe it's better in person. I'd love to test drive one someday. Seems like a real legit competitor in the EV market for sure.
that is true. he asked me if I want to pay 5k markup, I said NO to be honest, he then refused to let me test drive. LOL , I can not believe it as well.

yeah Tesla publishes the EPA range on their website.. but it's not like a unique test for tesla cars? is it their fault they perform so well on the EPA test but not at 75 mph? the faster you go the more the square of the drag will bring u down.. so it makes sense the most efficient vehicles will suffer when going highway speeds (and the most percentage wise)... yet they are still the most efficient.. i dont see that as a "knock" on Tesla

take super inefficient 12mpg type vehicles.. they get 12mpg at 50 mph and get basically 12mpg at 80 mph... is that something to be applauded?
Last time then I'll put the bone down since it seems you asked a question for which there is no acceptable or decipherable answer from your perspective.

The way I view these postings is they reflect real world usage vs. "contrived, artificial, under highly controlled variables" range. I don't drive my vehicles at sea level, when it's 70f out, on a flat track, at 50mph steady speeds. Therefore these mixed condition tests in particular are very interesting, especially when some manufacturers state LOWER range than users are observing under real world conditions. That last part was my point. Tesla are saying 3xx, but nobody is getting close to this whereas some manufacturers must be understating their range, measurable when people are testing under non-controlled conditions, and getting greater than manufacturer stated.

Both vehicles have more than sufficient practical range for me personally so it's moot point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suns_PSD
Last time then I'll put the bone down since it seems you asked a question for which there is no acceptable or decipherable answer from your perspective.

The way I view these postings is they reflect real world usage vs. "contrived, artificial, under highly controlled variables" range. I don't drive my vehicles at sea level, when it's 70f out, on a flat track, at 50mph steady speeds. Therefore these mixed condition tests in particular are very interesting, especially when some manufacturers state LOWER range than users are observing under real world conditions. That last part was my point. Tesla are saying 3xx, but nobody is getting close to this whereas some manufacturers must be understating their range, measurable when people are testing under non-controlled conditions, and getting greater than manufacturer stated.

Both vehicles have more than sufficient practical range for me personally so it's moot point.
EVs generally do the worst at sea level

I wouldn't say nobody got the stated Tesla range as the EPA got exactly that range

• Disagree
Reactions: Daekwan
Fair enough but the Y this particular reviewer is using is quite old. I am sure they could source a recent one with better fit and finish, current interior if they really wanted. Instead they keep harping on squeaks and rattles on their particular unit, and compare Tesla’s claimed ranged to what they are getting without mentioning they have heavily used the vehicle in question.
A typical long-term test by a publication like Edmunds, C&D, etc is 40k miles. So if the test car was a long-term tester it would have something between 0-40,000 miles on it.

That’s not much mileage at all in the grand scheme of things. Are you saying that that explains the range “loss”?

Reactions: Suns_PSD

This will be helpful for understanding the differences. Yes Tesla's are efficient, but their stated ranges routinely do not meet the real world results and their delta is typically larger than other manufacturers for the reasons stated in the article:

yeah.. exactly.. doesnt the EPA test them all the same? so if you drive at 55 you'll get the EPA range, right? and the tesla still does better in real world range too
No. And, no, the EPA DOES NOT usually test most vehicles.

You can read thru The Truth About EPA City / Highway MPG Estimates - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver that was written way before modern BEVs. Testing at the National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory | US EPA even says
"Most testing is performed by auto manufacturers at their own facilities. EPA then audits the data and performs its own testing on some of the vehicles to confirm the manufacturers' results."

How Vehicles Are Tested says
"Fuel economy is measured under controlled conditions in a laboratory using a series of tests specified by federal law. Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 15%–20% of them through their own tests at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory."

Detailed Test Information has a high level overview of the test schedules and a link to what's done for EVs and PHEVs at https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/EPA test procedure for EVs-PHEVs-11-14-2017.pdf.

And, Seminole posted about 2-cycles vs. 5-cycles in post #59.