TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

iOS in the Car

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by bollar, Jun 10, 2013.

1. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

2. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

God, please no.

3. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

Hey, some of us would like the option. Doesn't mean you HAVE to have/integrate your iPhone.

4. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Would be a huge feature for me. I was disappointed when the tesla logo wasn't on the slide.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

While my iPhone may soon be going for a new Galaxy S4, I have to say I do miss the "iPod controls" that my last car had for controlling my device.

6. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Generally an embedded OS is not an option. It is the way it is. I would hate it if the main screen was iOS.

More iPhone integration. Meh. I could care less. So long as they don't abandon other mobile phone support.

7. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

8. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

I would love to have access to my ITunes Match library in the car.

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I think it would be a nice option at least as well. Add Apple Lossless support as well as Match.

10. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

Obviously we don't know all the details, but that wasn't my impression of how it worked. On the model S, I would expect one of the app windows to have the IOS in the car interface. There's no reason they have to host the whole OS, the entire thing could be done with a similar API to airplay streaming, with some UI feedback for touch events going back to the phone.

But it'll probably never happen. I'll be happy if I can just get voice control for Siri and music someday.

11. deonb

deonb Active Member

Wow - it's still icon-based? I'm surprised.

12. joshuaeven

joshuaeven Member

13. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

That would be great, but considering that Tesla does not have Siri eye-free implemented yet and considering that they were not on the list of manufacturers of iOS in the Car, I wouldn't hold my breath.

14. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Elon has got to call Tim and get this done! I cant have my friend with a Ford have FULL ON SIRI, and show me up!?! LoL....

15. ahaer

ahaer Member

My read is this is simply a way to get the iphone to display on a remote screen and handle remote button/touch events. Tesla could implement this by making a new "half screen"

I will be shocked if they don't offer this. They already make a big deal about firmware updates. Imagine if they could market "We've implemented iOS 7 Car for all Tesla Model S cars - even those built before the service was announced!" ?

16. youlikeadajuice

I just emailed ownership and asked about this...we'll see if I hear anything back. I would love to see this in the car as one of the windows in the center screen as others have stated...if you don't want it, don't use it, but it could be a great tool for the rest of us.

17. Tacket

Tacket Member

Would be awesome to tell Siri to turn on the seat heaters from the iPhone app too

18. reddy

reddy Member

Now that iOS7 is here , what can I look for?

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with plain old simple iPod controls like just about every other car in its class has. It's a pain having to pick up my phone to switch playlists or fast forward/rewind through podcasts.

20. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I'm actually pretty surprised by this. There's USB, so you could access the iPhone directly through that. Since the car is Linux-based, they could set up Zero-conf to enable AirPlay support. While this isn't better than Bluetooth streaming from a usability standpoint, it would have significantly higher audio quality. Hopefully in a future update, I guess.