Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRO DashCam - Model S AP2 unboxing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, and unfortunately for me I didn’t have a good experience with the seller either. After troubleshooting with them for several weeks I requested an exchange which they refused.
Ugh. Yeah I’ve been hearing the beeping just at random times for a while and couldn’t figure out what it was. Then yesterday realized it was the IRO. I’m hoping it’s maybe just loose wiring or something similar but I guess that is not the case given your experience too.

No, and unfortunately for me I didn’t have a good experience with the seller either. After troubleshooting with them for several weeks I requested an exchange which they refused.
Ok so my theory is that perhaps my phone was connecting to it via WiFi at random intervals causing this. Anywho, I’ll see next time I take a drive, if it is still doing it I’m taking it out and figuring out a replacement.

FYI
CONTINUOUS POWER IN SENTRY MODE! (Standard installation)

I just discovered an interesting side effect of Sentry Mode is the equivalent to continuous power for our IRO dash cam.
I routinely delete all of the “non-driving” videos off the SD card prior to transferring footage to an archival hard drive. Discovered that it records continuously while in Sentry Mode. On a 128g card, there was over 87 gigs of static video, mostly from Sentry Mode.

March 2018 MCU2 Model S 100D
Tesla just deployed Sentry Mode to AP 2.0 cars (as opposed to 2.5). It provides alarm functionality without the video support. However, as mentioned in the above post, turning on Sentry Mode powers on the IRO dash cam, which means your IRO dash cam will be recording whenever you turn on Sentry Mode. You no longer need to play with the wiring to feed the power full time, which is not a great idea anyway, since you don't have the flexibility to control the drain.

Tesla just deployed Sentry Mode to AP 2.0 cars (as opposed to 2.5). It provides alarm functionality without the video support. However, as mentioned in the above post, turning on Sentry Mode powers on the IRO dash cam, which means your IRO dash cam will be recording whenever you turn on Sentry Mode. You no longer need to play with the wiring to feed the power full time, which is not a great idea anyway, since you don't have the flexibility to control the drain.
Wow!
So, technically you will get continuous video recording via the IRO. I suggest parking facing out for better security.

Question about color match....
I am thinking of getting one of these, but I note in the pictures on the net that the IRO dash cam appears to be medium to light gray. The mirror housing on my S 75D (AP2) is very dark gray, probably black.
I know that colors in pictures on the net can be deceiving, so I thought I’d ask before ordering.

Question about color match....
I am thinking of getting one of these, but I note in the pictures on the net that the IRO dash cam appears to be medium to light gray. The mirror housing on my S 75D (AP2) is very dark gray, probably black.
I know that colors in pictures on the net can be deceiving, so I thought I’d ask before ordering.
I personally do not think it is an issue. Frankly it is awkward to see it. The biggest challenge to an easy installation. I need to lean way forward and turn sideways. It is possible that color difference exaggerated by differing reflectiveness. In my photos, the IRO looks darker than the car.
2E337589-CC36-49BC-A818-E5958CAAAFD1.jpeg

A39E2947-959A-4050-B24A-F940553E1BDA.jpeg

FYI
CONTINUOUS POWER IN SENTRY MODE! (Standard installation)

I just discovered an interesting side effect of Sentry Mode is the equivalent to continuous power for our IRO dash cam.
I routinely delete all of the “non-driving” videos off the SD card prior to transferring footage to an archival hard drive. Discovered that it records continuously while in Sentry Mode. On a 128g card, there was over 87 gigs of static video, mostly from Sentry Mode.

March 2018 MCU2 Model S 100D

Even though I have a spare Blackvue 650 camera sitting in a drawer, I really prefer the look of this install. Looks really OEM-like.

As far as AP2.0's recent OTA update enabling a Sentry mode without the video, and the IRO picking up that slack, I'm trying to figure out which way IRO's "parking mode" will work in conjunction with Tesla Sentry Mode:

A: Sentry Mode toggled on, camera receives continuous power

B. Sentry Mode toggled on, camera only receives power when Sentry mode is doing it's thing (the MCU HAL 9000 graphic turning on when vehicle approached from the side).

I'm hoping it's "A", because I think with "B" you might miss something in the time it takes for the IRO cam to receive power during the Tesla Sentry mode "performance".

Can anyone confirm?

Even though I have a spare Blackvue 650 camera sitting in a drawer, I really prefer the look of this install. Looks really OEM-like.

As far as AP2.0's recent OTA update enabling a Sentry mode without the video, and the IRO picking up that slack, I'm trying to figure out which way IRO's "parking mode" will work in conjunction with Tesla Sentry Mode:

A: Sentry Mode toggled on, camera receives continuous power

B. Sentry Mode toggled on, camera only receives power when Sentry mode is doing it's thing (the MCU HAL 9000 graphic turning on when vehicle approached from the side).

I'm hoping it's "A", because I think with "B" you might miss something in the time it takes for the IRO cam to receive power during the Tesla Sentry mode "performance".

Can anyone confirm?
A. (At least on my AP2.5)

• Helpful
Reactions: Blitz3RS

I do not have the IRO, i have the COzero model for AP2. I think it is the same camera. I tried this, turned on Sentry and it indeed does turn on record. However I find mine does not turn off the camera if you turn off Sentry. It continues to record.

I have a question about how to remove the data card for downloading. Do you use a tweezer or something? I takes forever to download videos with the slow built in Wi-Fi. My fingers seem to big to grasp the card.

Thanks! Can't wait to place my order :)

Finally got mine this Friday (I ordered it on Tuesday, 11 June), and installed it late this evening. Took all of 10... maybe 15 minutes. Most of that time spent was trying to get it to clip into both sides by sliding it up that groove/track.

But it looks great! Looking forward to see what driving footage I can capture.

Anyone in this thread have a recommendation on the settings they've setup with LuckyCam?

Things like... what makes for the best save file durations (1 minute, 3 minute, 10 minute)? What does WDR and G-Sensor sensitivity do? Camera works so well and love the OEM-like look, just not much description on what the advance settings does in the smart phone app.

Problem: Not starting to record automatically after powered down for several hours.

Just installed the IRO Dashcam Model S AP1 and seems to work well except for one thing . . . it doesn't seem to power up and start recording on its own after the car has been off for awhile. When I come back to the car after 30 min or an hour, the IRO starts recording automatically as expected. But in the morning, after 12+ hours of not using the car, the IRO does not turn on and start recording. Has anyone seen this? Easy fix? I've tried resetting several times, but no change. Wonder if it has a bad on-board battery or power capacitor?

Ideas?