Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Irritated after 4 days of SR ownership.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see EV price stagnating where it is and Tesla prices slowly going up.
Tesla will never become as ubiquitous as Elon dreamed of.
Because no way that computer and battery prices would ever drop precipitously? Like it is something that's never happened before, in the history of all time! Not 40 years ago, not 30 years ago, not 20 years ago, not 10 years ago, not last year, not last month.

Certainly when Tesla sits down to design the Gen 4 vehicle in the next couple years, which they have explicated stated for about a decade now is a base $20,000 vehicle target, there's no way they'll figure out how to do that. Same as they were absolutely bonkers to ever think they'd be able to ship a $35,000 priced car (without it being a serious $ loser), because so many people managed to call that correctly that it was never going to happen.

:^)

Last edited:
I think people are forgetting about the savings of never buying gas again. If you are looking at a Performance model more than likely you already drive a performance oriented vehicle that probably gets crappy gas mileage. My current daily driver is a Cayenne Turbo that probably gets at best 15mpg. Right now i'm spending about $300 a month in gas, if I amortize that savings over 10 years that's $36k in savings for me not counting the usual German car BS "maintenance" needs. A Performance Tesla is a no brainer for me.

I think people are forgetting about the savings of never buying gas again. If you are looking at a Performance model more than likely you already drive a performance oriented vehicle that probably gets crappy gas mileage. My current daily driver is a Cayenne Turbo that probably gets at best 15mpg. Right now i'm spending about $300 a month in gas, if I amortize that savings over 10 years that's $36k in savings for me not counting the usual German car BS "maintenance" needs. A Performance Tesla is a no brainer for me.
Going electric doesn’t automatically save you money compared to gas, depends where you live. Having solar definitely helps in that regards.

Reactions: Galve2000
Well I got A P3D-, the $7.5k tax credit, a $5k refund, and apparently I still have free supercharging, so I don't feel too bad about my choice.

I too P3D+ got $5k refund and letters indicated free supercharging was in exchange for $5k.
I have never used a super charger, my tesla account always indicated supercharging was by cost.
how do you know you or would others know they still have free supercharging?

For most people it will, and for me, there's no question that I will be saving a tremendous amount of money.

I live in California and my ICE guzzled $200 gas a month. 30 miles in commute everyday, but would do weekend trips and have after work activities.

Charging between 12 - 6AM at .09 a KWH is much cheaper.

IMG_5759.jpeg

I agree ... I just bought my LR AWD, and were it not for winter driving, could’ve completely done without the AWD. Frankly, I probably could’ve done without the LR battery too.

The SR is one hell of a bargain. When I tell people it starts at $37k, and then has a $3750 tax credit and no sales tax here, it’s really the equivalent price of an Accord EX. And there’s absolutely NO comparison.

So after 4 days or so of SR ownership I’m irritated.

At speed - whether it be 45, 60, 70 - it drives far too closely to my 86.5K Model 3.

It already looks like it inside.

I know the cars quite well so I can identify practically every difference - down to IGBT vs MOSFET for the inverters.

Not saying the 3P doesn’t have its advantages but I am unsure if I would say no if Tesla offered a 40K check to downgrade my 3P to a 3SR.

This 35K car is apparently the best kept automotive secret in the world. It’s a secret because Tesla actually has stock and every sedan on the road hasn’t been replaced yet.

I calculate it to be a 42K car in 2016 money if the current iteration was released at that time.

Tremendous value.

More love and differentiation needed on the higher trims.

Maybe free Mario kart in the apps section and make it a $100 micro transaction for 3SR.
I don't think I would take the 40k check, but maybe if it allowed me to have 2 teslas like you do :p. I enjoy the acceleration allot, and the AWD, and the longer range, and the stereo system, and the EAP etc.

While I don't have a Model 3, I agree w/ MXwing here. Not NEARLY enough differentiation on the higher trim cars. My old BMW M5 had a number of M5 only items beyond the power and suspension including:

1. M5 specific paint - Lemans Blue
2. M5 specific rims (that didn't look like a larger version of one of the standard rims)
3. M5 specific seat options...two different ones (two-tone sport and luxury)
4. M5 specific full leather options
5. M5 specific rear bumper cover and exhaust (no exhaust on Tesla of course)
6. M5 specific gauges
etc...

Heck, my wife's XC60 R-Design was even similar with R-Design specific paint colors (ours is passion red) , steering wheel, rims, interior trim, steering gear ratio, seats, etc.
Awesome story!! M5s are so 2000s. :)

You don't get that part where I would not have spent $2500 extra if I knew SR would have everything I needed.
But I spent $2500 unnecessarily because Tesla gave me wrong info.

I am giving up on you now.

Yep. They changed the configuration of the cheaper trim line after you ordered. It happens. It's just like buying a new computer the day before a new one comes out with better specs and the same or lower price. It's really rough when it happens to you. But it's how the market works and is universally regarded as legitimate.

I think people are forgetting about the savings of never buying gas again. If you are looking at a Performance model more than likely you already drive a performance oriented vehicle that probably gets crappy gas mileage.

I'd have bought the P version if it had been available. But my previous car got 4 miles per kWh. No gas. And my other car was a Prius.

Depends on how fast you blow through tires on that Performance :)

My Roadster ate tires like a seal eats fish. But I never expected to "save" any money drving that car. $600 a year for the annual maintenance alone. Plus the tires. And a few pennies for electricity. :)

I bought my M3 LR RWD back in May of 2018. I figured that $10K would be coming back to me ($2.5k state of CA, $7500 from Trump) which put the car into my price range. I have thoroughly enjoyed driving my M3 for almost a year now and have no desired to update it to any for the newly minted models. I can now do 0-60 mph in 5.0 seconds and that is fast enough for me.

I agree ... I just bought my LR AWD, and were it not for winter driving, could’ve completely done without the AWD. Frankly, I probably could’ve done without the LR battery too.

The SR is one hell of a bargain. When I tell people it starts at $37k, and then has a $3750 tax credit and no sales tax here, it’s really the equivalent price of an Accord EX. And there’s absolutely NO comparison.
SR and SR+ are bad ass. Now I can be helpful in suggesting that owning a tesla is no more expensive than a camery when people suggest otherwise.

• Love
Reactions: SammichLover
i keep going back and forth on a used Model 3 LR or a new SR/SR+

I did too as I struggled to justify spending almost $10,000 more for just a few updates and 50% more range. However, I realized that the added range would only have been useful 1 time in the past 5 years, so it came down to how badly I wanted those few extra features. I Really wanted the 1/2 second faster 0-60, but again, do I really need that... :)

SR and SR+ are bad ass. Now I can be helpful in suggesting that owning a tesla is no more expensive than a camery when people suggest otherwise.

Real Numbers:

3SR with Paint Upgrade Cost: +40,579
California CVRP: -2,500
Federal Tax Credit: -3,750
SCE Rebate: -1,000
Total: 33,329

Expected Sale Value after 24 Months: 25,000

33,329 - 25,000 = $8,329

$8,329 / 24 = $347

That's exactly the payment on my loaded Volt Premier lease.

I’m not adding in any other factors like fuel savings or circumstantial deductions that might work for me but not someone else.

It’s a deal through and through.

Last edited:
Real Numbers:

3SR with Paint Upgrade Cost: +40,579
California CVRP: -2,500
Federal Tax Credit: -3,750
SCE Rebate: -1,000
Total: 33,329

Expected Sale Value after 24 Months: 25,000

33,329 - 25,000 = $8,329

$8,329 / 24 = $347

That's exactly the payment on my loaded Volt Premier lease.

I’m not adding in any other factors like fuel savings or circumstantial deductions.

It’s a deal through and through.

So what are the differences between your P and SR aside from drivetrain, brakes and wheels? Is the interior the same?

So what are the differences between your P and SR aside from drivetrain, brakes and wheels? Is the interior the same?

Realistically, the main difference is a ZL1 bitched out against my 3P+

No one else is going to feel much of a difference unless the car is on a track or drive hard from every stop.

There’s things like streaming audio, street level maps, homelink but not 46K worth.

Interior is the same.

Reactions: mattjs33
I was a SR+ Deposit buyer because I was willing to pay the premium over SR. Deposit was made with the belief that the SR+ would have the better interior and battery.

After Tesla’s announcement it made all the sense in the world to downgrade from SR+ to SR pre delivery.

Now I am finding I have an SR+ car at SR pricing. There is an equity problem here.

I am not at Tesla’s meetings but this is how I would handle it:

1.) Cancel the 35K SR immediately. People were given their chance. Tesla couldn’t make the 35K SR. Admit defeat and move on.

2.) Figure out of its possible to downgrade all SR owners to the level they paid for.

3.) Otherwise do something cool for SR+ owners like some free SC credit or future premium software offering. Satisfies the equity problem, generates good will and does not require a refund or downgrade refund on Tesla’s part.

So you got what you paid for but because you think someone else got more than they paid for, you want something for free? Stop worrying about what others paid. Did you get what you paid for? Move along...

Reactions: daniel and dmurphy