Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 4.4 seconds vs 5.6 seconds alone worth $10k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the Features page, "Model S Performance accelerates to 60 miles per hour in 4.4 seconds. If driven the same way as Model S, both cars achieve the same efficiency thanks to the unique powertrain design."

I took that to mean that it would use the same amount of electricity to run. I don't believe it relates to battery life.

If I get the Performance version I'll donate the equivalent to charity to make me feel good about this guilty pleasure.

Though I'll need to test drive it. The 300mile version was damn fast as a passenger. Kinda scary. It's a whole different feeling when you are the driver and are in control of the machine. Also, I'll have to scotch guard and clean the seats regularly from passengers crapping in their pants. Which color hides skid marks the best? ;)

Speaking of test drives, I wonder if they'll have just the performance version and then with software controls they can tune it down to the different power levels so you can quickly feel the difference.

According to the Features page, "Model S Performance accelerates to 60 miles per hour in 4.4 seconds. If driven the same way as Model S, both cars achieve the same efficiency thanks to the unique powertrain design."

I'm sure they mean, "if driven the same way as the standard Model S ... "

haha. does that mean you'd have to literally drive it the "same way" as the standard Model S, as in not accelerate at a rate greater than 60 mph in 5.6s?

This is the rationalization you're looking for: Resale Value.

Not sure I agree with this. As a rule of thumb, luxury cars do not hold their value well at all. Outside of something like a Ferrari which has a unique cachet (and limited manufacturing runs), they depreciate in value rather significantly. This will be even more true of the higher priced Model S, as their used value with tend to compress towards the lower priced ones. Unless for some reason it's difficult to get a new Model S from Tesla (which will be the case early on, but likely not the case by the time you're ready to sell the car), the car will not have amazing resale value. So don't get the Performance edition because of resale value. Get it because you think you'll enjoy it and if the extra $10 - $15k is worth that extra joy.

haha. does that mean you'd have to literally drive it the "same way" as the standard Model S, as in not accelerate at a rate greater than 60 mph in 5.6s?

That's how I read it. It only makes sense that if you accelerate faster you will use more energy. The area under the curve is much larger if the line from zero, zero to Y is over a shorter X.

I suspect someone who can spring for a Signature is not going to walk away from the 21% faster acceleration in order to save 10% on the car.

Good point. But then again, many of us Sig buyers already have a Roadster if we want to drive fast. I don't plan get the performance model.

Although I do think about it every now and then, just for the education value when taking people for a ride...

Even at 5.6 seconds 0-60 the Model S will be faster than 99 out of 100 cars. I have never owned a car that was sub 8 seconds and never thought I had slow cars. Until I got the Roadster :biggrin:

So that said I definately think it is a want and still faster than the VAST majority of cars out there.

Totally good point re Roadster dhrivnak and ChadS. The Roadster spoiled me. I'm giving up the Roadster when I get the S (was a Sig S reservation holder very early on and Tesla talked me into the Roadster lease until the S was delivered) and I just can't in good conscience justify keeping an extra car around the house. That's beside the point, but since I'm spoiled now, getting the performance S is the closet I can come to alleviating the mourning I'm already feeling about losing the Roadster.

I will however be getting a future generation Tesla Roadster once the kids move off for college. :)

I have a question I need to pose. I am considering upgrading to the performance. However, I wouldn't get either the carbon fiber interior or the performance rims - just not my color tastes. I don't really care about the exterior accents. Plus it would force me to go to the black interior from white - I can't have white alcantara with two kids, they will destroy that in a week. SO that leaves the question - is going from a 60 time of 5.6 to 4.4 really worth $10k? Is 5.6 "fast enough?"

I guess the old saying applys. If you have to ask then you can't afford it.

BTW.. I can't afford it either

Yes. There is no discernible difference in efficiency between the performance and non-performance versions (the performance version might even do slightly better from having parts designed for high current), IF they were driven exactly the same way. Obviously, you use more energy if you accelerate faster (this is true even in the same car; the Performance version just gives you the opportunity to accelerate even faster).

That is the beauty of performance EVs. There is no efficiency penalty in normal driving if you choose an EV with better performance (unlike an ICE car, where you usually take an efficiency hit for Sport/Performance versions).

5.6 is a very peppy sedan. Passengers will notice. 4.4 is getting into "that was so fast I barely had time to enjoy it!" territory. Matter of taste at that point. I LOVE and LIVE FOR torque and g-forces. I also really enjoy showing off that an EV can have incredible acceleration. It helps me sell it to everyone I encounter.
I was happy to go from 3.9s roadster to 5.6s sedan but personally I'm going for performance for the two reasons I mentioned.

Here's my prediction for Performance. The model S Performance in going to be really cool and fast. The Model X Performance will be even better with 4 wheel drive, and the Next Generation Roadster will blow the socks off of both of them. Just my prediction.

Here's my prediction for Performance. The model S Performance in going to be really cool and fast. The Model X Performance will be even better with 4 wheel drive, and the Next Generation Roadster will blow the socks off of both of them. Just my prediction.

I've been wondering about the next roadster. Will it best 3.9? By how much if so...

*edit* looks like we posted at the same time Doug. Sub 3 seconds would put it around the new GTR, no?

You guys are all awesome. Thanks for all the input. It has now pretty much pushed me into getting the Performance. I am getting a Sig, so the delta is $10k. And I do like the look of the black with red piping and carbon fiber. Now my concern is heat - I live in Austin, TX and am getting the pano roof. That being said I used to have a porsche with black interior and it wouldn't get hot, but it also didn't have an all glass roof. Makes you wonder how well that AC will work, if preconditioning the the car via the phone app PTA will be enough to cool down the seats?

I'm in Texas as well and am wondering the same thing. The pano roof will have a shade you can pull so it won't be direct light. The pano roof also blocks out 93% of light and 79% heat. The key I think will be what you mentioned and that's the iPhone app. While the seats may be a little warm with black leather in the summer, cooling the car to 70 degrees before you even get to it will probably help a lot and be better than anything you've ever owned before in terms of comfort getting into a car that's been in the Texas heat all day.

Yeah, I'm fully expecting the next gen Roadster to be sub-3 seconds.

+1 also. Sub 3 seconds and I'll bet it has 4 wheel drive also for it's performance version. I'm curious whether it will seat five. If it's built on the Bluestar/Gen 3 platform it should be large enough. Just a thought...

Back on topic...get the performance if you can afford it. Why have regrets in the future?

Although I do think about it every now and then, just for the education value when taking people for a ride...

That's another reason I am toying with getting the performance version. If I can wow passengers with the massive amount of power it has it will get them interested in EVs and get them talking extremely positive about them which will help the rEVolution.