Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone getting a base model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No it's not. Tesla is using a 35% markup for the exchange rate for the base vehicles and about 32.5% for options. On top of this you then add 6.1% duty as due to The % of foreign parts they don't meet NAFTA requirements. On top of this add 1-2% for Tesla's admin cost for the export.
On the surface, yes, this is true. Tesla set the prices for the Model X miscalculating where the C$ would be. However, historically this hasn't been true. As a matter of fact, while the C$ fell they delayed price increases for quite some time, giving us a bit of a break.

As well, yes, while the X and the S don't meet NAFTA requirements, I don't think that will be true for the 3. Much of the X and S's foreign parts are actually the batteries. When the Gigafactory comes online this will solve that problem.

So, it's my guess that the 3 price will be much closer to the exchange rate price, rather than have the premium over top of the price.

Last edited:
I'd rather *not* have dual motors given that frunk space will be at a premium. Although maybe they'll just shrink the frunk regardless. In which case, fine - twist my arm.

AP full features are a must. Max battery is a must. The rest, presuming they figure out how to have coat hooks if no pano, are completely negotiatable. Except a black headliner is a huge plus. But a totally black interior? Blyech.

Choices, choices. I'd like to time delivery for the end of Q1 or the beginning of Q2 2018 - but for that to happen a *lot* of faith will have to be conveyed.

On the surface, yes, this is true. Tesla set the prices for the Model X miscalculating where the C$ would be. However, historically this hasn't been true. As a matter of fact, while the C$ they delayed price increases for quite some time, giving us a bit of a break.

As well, yes, while the X and the S don't meet NAFTA requirements, I don't think that will be true for the 3. Much of the X and S's foreign parts are actually the batteries. When the Gigafactory comes online this will solve that problem.

So, it's my guess that the 3 price will be much closer to the exchange rate price, rather than have the premium over top of the price.
I sure hope you are right! That would be really awesome

I'd rather *not* have dual motors given that frunk space will be at a premium.

Interesting note, when I test drove a Model S last week the representative mentioned that the frunk size on the S had been standardized on all models whether they were single or dual motors. She said they did this to make room for the HEPA filter. No idea if that will translate to the Model 3 or not.

Dan

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage
Interesting note, when I test drove a Model S last week the representative mentioned that the frunk size on the S had been standardized on all models whether they were single or dual motors. She said they did this to make room for the HEPA filter. No idea if that will translate to the Model 3 or not.

Dan

That was a thought wrt the M3 given the HEPA filter. If that build is now standard, regardless of whether one gets dual motors or the HEPA option (BDM), then, well, twist my arm - might as well get both to see what all the fuss is about.

Kicking and scratching to force me to breathe clean air, yep. I see how it is.

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage
I'd rather *not* have dual motors given that frunk space will be at a premium. Although maybe they'll just shrink the frunk regardless. In which case, fine - twist my arm.

AP full features are a must. Max battery is a must. The rest, presuming they figure out how to have coat hooks if no pano, are completely negotiatable. Except a black headliner is a huge plus. But a totally black interior? Blyech.

Choices, choices. I'd like to time delivery for the end of Q1 or the beginning of Q2 2018 - but for that to happen a *lot* of faith will have to be conveyed.

I suggest you start to pray now. Maybe light some candles in a Tesla shrine every night. Because it going to take a miracle to get our non P cars in Q1 or early Q2. We will be lucky if they begin volume production in Q1 of 2018. Late Q2, or Q3 is what I'm expecting for non-P cars to hit the streets and that is everything goes to schedule. Sure would be nice to get the car before the summer starts.

Being somewhere over the 400,000 mark (reserved my place three days ago) and living in Atlanta I am not expecting my car before early 2019 and I am ok with that. Sure I would love to see it sooner but my son won't be needing a car before then (he will get the Volt that I currently drive) and it will give me more time to save for a deposit.

Dan

For me, I would consider few extras, but I do not want to go insane, as it is very easy to go through the roof with the price :)... A lot of it depends on what is/will be Tesla's pricing policy in Europe.

Can I assume that the base price 35.000 EUR is final + VAT? Or does Tesla add any additional mark-up for non-US markets? Already USD vs EUR is a considerable difference, so I do not think Tesla shall put any mark-ups, if they charge base and add-on prices the same amount, but in EUR. Any experiences?

In case no mark-ups, I go with the base model plus:
1. AWD
2. Autopilot
3. Leather seats
4. Supercharging

I would love bigger turbine wheels, but for 4500EUR this is completely nuts....

Its like wanting a BMW/Audi etc but only getting the bottom of the range stripper. You can try, but most people who do are never happy with it. Then they end up being unicorns in the second hand market
I genuinely appreciate your concern.

However, I'm really just looking for an EV that is far better looking and performing (in all categories) than what is currently on offer from companies other than Tesla, but at the cheapest price I can get it. I really just need the car to get me to work and back and around town for at least 10 years. I'm not drag racing or trying to impress anybody, and I don't plan to sell the car any time soon, so I don't care what the second hand market value will be. So I think the base model M3 will meet (and far exceed) those requirements.

The only visual differences in my base model and the prototypes shown, will be the wheels (width and rim diameter), the roof (I will get solid, most likely), and the paint color (will probably get white, especially if all metallic colors are an up-charge). So I know it will be a beautiful car.

Considering I'm currently driving a 2006 base model Toyota Tacoma single cab with crank windows (I had to install electric locks and cruise myself), I'm going to be in heaven driving even a base model Tesla anything.

I fully agree that purchasing any car is not a good financial investment.

I would argue though that purchasing a base model Tesla is a good investment for other reasons:
  • I'm investing in the future of our planet,
  • I'm investing in my family's health (no gas/oil/other fumes on our property for tiny lungs to breathe in),
  • I'm investing in my mental health (I feel guilty every time I crank the starter motor on my wee ICE),
  • I'm investing in family time on trips (yes it may be cheaper in the long run to continue to use my ICE car for these trips considering we're a low mileage family (few city km, ~10k km/year total), but future EV trips will have us stopping more, have more meaningful conversations/interactions in our quiet EV, I'll be excited to take more family trips knowing that I'm doing it on sunlight),
  • I'm investing in the dogma of Tesla (I fully support a company who has done what they have for the planet).
The list goes on. No, it isn't something like a house or a wise renovation where I'll get the money back some day. However, I consider my dollars as votes. I am voting for a more sustainable future!

I fully agree that purchasing any car is not a good financial investment.

I would argue though that purchasing a base model Tesla is a good investment for other reasons:
  • I'm investing in the future of our planet,
  • I'm investing in my family's health (no gas/oil/other fumes on our property for tiny lungs to breathe in),
  • I'm investing in my mental health (I feel guilty every time I crank the starter motor on my wee ICE),
  • I'm investing in family time on trips (yes it may be cheaper in the long run to continue to use my ICE car for these trips considering we're a low mileage family (few city km, ~10k km/year total), but future EV trips will have us stopping more, have more meaningful conversations/interactions in our quiet EV, I'll be excited to take more family trips knowing that I'm doing it on sunlight),
  • I'm investing in the dogma of Tesla (I fully support a company who has done what they have for the planet).
The list goes on. No, it isn't something like a house or a wise renovation where I'll get the money back some day. However, I consider my dollars as votes. I am voting for a more sustainable future!

This is going to sound condescending and I don't mean to put this down in any way. I really do agree with you 100%.

Having said this however, these are the exact arguments that cause so many people to immediately scoff and laugh off anything relating to EVs. I have a ton of motorhead friends from MOPAR guys to Corvette guys...you name it. They see this all as a bunch of tree hugging, "Mother Earth" freaks trying to take away their muscle. The sound of those cylinders firing up and the smell of burning oil is what gets them going. The only thing that registers with them is performance.

This is where I think Tesla can really make a stand. Yes, it does all of the things you mentioned and the history of the company and what it represents is a great thing, but if we are really going to turn heads and bring people around to what electric vehicles can do Tesla is going to do it by whipping the butts of all the grease monkeys out there. The technology, the acceleration, the handling, the quality, the luxury all must be superior to what they can find in a comparably priced ICE. Tesla seems to be on the brink of doing all of those things and more. That's what makes it such an appealing product to me is that I can creep up silently next to their Z06 or their Hellcat and beat them on their own terms. Maybe then they will start looking at this technology in a different light.

Again, please accept my apology if I offended you with this. I am really on your side but I know how my friends think and I am really looking forward to wiping their smug little grins off their faces!

Dan

I'm not sure, but considering I wasn't willing to spend $1100 on a package upgrade to get a rear window wiper on my current car, then we'll probably get a base model. The only foof I really want is an HD radio receiver and iPod connectivity. Seattle weather is pretty mild.

Reactions: Fiver and Red Sage
Having said this however, these are the exact arguments that cause so many people to immediately scoff and laugh off anything relating to EVs.

I completely agree with you Dan. I think we're making the same argument from different perspectives.

I think what you state is exactly why Tesla has been so successful. They make such compelling products that many people purchase them because they are many things. ...oh, and it is also an EV.

I love reading about the Model S, a family sedan that seats 7, dusting 2-seat supercars. While that isn't for me personally, I love that it makes ICE drivers consider EVs for themselves.