Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Bioweapon worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hoping it removed odors too with Elon claiming it filtered out smoke particulate during California fires last year, but I've been disappointed with BioDefense mode. We drove through a patch of road with strong cattle and composting smell and BioDefense mode did little to remove the odors. On the flipside, the HEPA filter is also causing my car scent diffuser to not last as long, so I guess it is effective at removing some good smells.

I bought the HEPA filter ($220) and installed it myself. Well I was getting my free second year of service (it’s a long story) I asked if they would add the bio defense button, and they did.

I love having the HEPA filter. I think it does filter a lot of smells especially diesel. not all the Way, but much better than without it. I used to have to hit recirculate all the time. I don’t have to do that anymore.

even without the bio defense button, it was well worth it. You do not need the bio defense button To get the benefit of a HEPA filter.

I think there is substantial benefit in everyday operation even without pressing the fancy button.
I agree with this.
Also, I use BWDM when it is polluted outside and think it helps a lot- smells MUCH fresher. It is loud and a pretty strong blow to start with, but still a good thing IMHO.
Also note Air Quality in Canberra worst in the world today.
Note: be careful when searching on BWDM. A little slip of the keyboard and you'll learn some wild things...

I bought the HEPA filter ($220) and installed it myself. Well I was getting my free second year of service (it’s a long story) I asked if they would add the bio defense button, and they did.

I love having the HEPA filter. I think it does filter a lot of smells especially diesel. not all the Way, but much better than without it. I used to have to hit recirculate all the time. I don’t have to do that anymore.

even without the bio defense button, it was well worth it. You do not need the bio defense button To get the benefit of a HEPA filter.

What HEPA filter did you buy, and from where?

I purchased a MERV 13 filter online for about $50 and installed it my self this weekend. It seems to be working perfectly (drove behind some test buses on the way to work this morning), but wondering what the difference is between a MERV 13 filter and a HEPA filter.

I drive with the windows open 50% of the time, so I never thought a cabin filter was much use for me. However, I do feel much better breathing filtered air when I'm sick with a cold/flu. In fact, this last flu season we happened to have the Bioweapon defense system in our loaner 75D...it was greatly appreciated.

So normally, I really wouldn't care much at all for it when I'm healthy. But when I'm sick, I'd pay upwards of $2,500 for some relief.

Hi there curious to know if purchasing the HEPA filter for $500 is worth it?

TIA

It's been very good for me and my dogs.

In some areas, I could smell cow's manure really bad prior to HEPA but not since with it.

Also, there are some stretch of the road that my dogs can smell skunks and bark like crazy without the HEPA on but turning it on would quickly dissipate the skunk's smell and calm down the dogs.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend to get it!

What HEPA filter did you buy, and from where?

I purchased a MERV 13 filter online for about $50 and installed it my self this weekend. It seems to be working perfectly (drove behind some test buses on the way to work this morning), but wondering what the difference is between a MERV 13 filter and a HEPA filter.

you can buy the Tesla HEPA filter from any service center. Make sure to double check though, they gave me a model X filter and I didn’t realize it till I got home. Had to go back to Exchange. PITA.

first of all just to clarify, this is the giant filter that’s installed when you remove the Frunk, not the cabin air filter behind the glove box. The Tesla filter is a quality filter and it’s sealed and fits perfectly. For me it was worth the extra $.

if you are new to this idea, there are good videos on YouTube that show how to replace it.

agree with the other positive comments. i also use when bringing food home in the car, really helps eliminate the food smell during the drive and making sure the smell is not trapped in the car until next time you get in.

I’m pretty sure it turns recirculate off. It draws in filtered outside air and pressurize the inside cabin, so theoretically no other outside contaminants can make their way in...
I believe from prior descriptions it actually does both - recirculates the bulk of the cabin air while simultaneously drawing in enough fresh to maintain positive pressure.

Reactions: Flyguy