Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to get 250 miles on the interstate with a 2022 M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We go to Universal (Orlando) quite a bit, its right at 120 miles door-to-door (so to speak). We leave with 100%, most of the drive (I'd figure close to 95%) is highway miles (I95 / I4), where I usually drive right around 75.

Depending on whether I'm a little under or over 75 by a few MPH, and how much HVAC is used, if I keep it dialed back getting out of town, passing, etc., we generally pull into the parking garage at somewhere between 47-53%

That's a '21 M3P, stock Pirellis/Ubers, carefully dialed in tire pressure, Florida (mostly flat, generally mild weather), and the three of us with a few bags, cooler, maybe a backpack.

HIghway range is almost a pure trade of speed vs efficiency. And it's a steep curve. There's no regenerating wind-resistance losses.

Figure 300 miles range at 60 MPH, subtract 25 miles of range for each 5 MPH above that and you're in the right ballpark. So 250 miles at 70 MPH is reasonable give or take weather, after market wheels, etc.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Just drove east to NJ in 30F weather.

My best leg in the M3P was 90% to 11% battery level. 188 miles, avg 72mpg, max 77mph. Climbed 1800ft, used 56.75 kWh, ran heat around 70F in the cabin.

Ill update on my return trip.

They actually said they went 130 miles and had 94 left:
They said both. They opened with:
Seems like running 70-80 mph it gets maybe 180-190 miles at most from 100% charge(have only done it once just to see)?

I guess you forgot that the OP charges at home before he leaves, huh?
You literally responded to this message about long trips that use a SC, and commented on fast charging along the route:
What blows my mind is the nav in the car when planning a long trip will show what percent it thinks will be left at the next supercharger and it never gets close to it's estimate. You'd think when estimating SOC left at next station they'd account for the speed limit. Luckily on a couple "long" trips I always go well over what it says I need for SOC. Got down to 5-6% on one and was sweating it decent until I rolled in.
But let's say we charge at home, and manage to never, ever hit a supercharger on our road trips. OP is in central IL.
Average electric price in IL is 16 cents per kWh.
Average central IL gas prices for premium is about $4.40.

So, 100 miles in a Tesla- 40kWh, $6.40.
100 miles in a Z06- $19.10.
That's 3X. Blend this 50%/50% home charging and supercharger and it's more like 1.7X. Not 5-10X.

Figures.

Reactions: XPsionic
Average electric price in IL is 16 cents per kWh.
Average central IL gas prices for premium is about $4.40.

So, 100 miles in a Tesla- 40kWh, $6.40.
100 miles in a Z06- $19.10.
That's 3X. Blend this 50%/50% home charging and supercharger and it's more like 1.7X. Not 5-10X.

Figures.
I lived in Illinois for 58 of my 61 years, so please don’t try to tell me anything about the state or its electric rates.

TOU rates mean that charging overnight (you know, as people with home charging generally do) in Illinois is WAY less expensive than your theoretical average. At certain times, the cost of electricity drops below zero.

I commuted 70 miles a day for years in ICEVs and for 3 years in an M3P, and know EXACTLY how much I paid monthly to fuel each vehicle.

And no 8,000 lb diesel truck is getting anything close to 23 mpg, no matter how you figure it.

Last edited:
I know I am not the typical driver but here are some atypical data points if you want them.

I got 219 Wh/mi for 220 miles in a 100% Stock 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance with the 20” UberHeavy wheels. I averaged exactly 60 mph the whole way and didn’t stop at all. This would be 360 miles with a full charge.

C28EC7E0-131E-4778-99C1-218A834699CF.jpeg

Most of our roads are secondary highways so speeds are typically limited to 60 mph or less. Speed really is everything for efficiency with these cars. The faster you drive the worse the range is.

You can increase that range though. Different wheels can help but not necessarily lighter wheels for flat constant speed highway driving.

I saw just over a 10% efficiency improvement going with 18x8.5 T TS5 T Sportline wheels over the UberHeavy wheels. That is with 235/45/18 Michelin PS4S tires too.

Here is the best efficiency I have seen on my morning commute into work on a Highway but with construction and light traffic.

9586D562-8BD5-4FD0-88CE-28A380D391EA.jpeg

That is with full coasting enabled with the S3XY buttons. They only help in very specific circumstances where I can maintain speed while coasting downhill. My commute isn’t net downhill but it does have a significant stretch of road that is downhill and perfect for Hypermiling with Coasting.

150 Wh/mi is about 526 miles on a single charge with a Model 3 Performance. An entirely unrealistic scenario but like I said before my commute is definitely atypical.

Kind of crazy that I can get this kind of efficiency in a car that can run the acceleration times below. It all just depends on how you drive it.

2CB5C175-4572-40E1-BA57-C1D91A52CE41.png
96822EB2-413F-4482-8F91-25BB8660C253.png
1F3193B4-F06E-40F9-B64C-9E1679D7E7C6.png
B87AD7FB-146F-4DE8-80CE-E1C4231AEDB3.jpeg

I have done fifty 1/4 mile passes of 11.3x or faster this summer and yet my overall efficiency is still fairly decent.
5ADB4010-F783-4FA5-9754-F1495B8B4FE3.jpeg

4C6722D0-D0D8-4731-A498-883468FFE071.jpeg

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I once did 220 with 30ish to spare, just to test things out. That was drafting behind a the same truck, which was going 70 most of the time, slowing down to whatever speed limit was in construction zones. I'm also lowered, and was rocking 18" wheels with aero covers and some A/S roadtrip tires with warm pressures in the high-40s. The weather was also nice, dry, mid-60s. So, the A/C was off the whole way.

It's somewhat faster and much better for my sanity to drive 80-90, and make an extra charging stop.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Back in the ICE world, I used to be able to match my real world to EPA highway ratings easily and maybe off by a few % or few mpg. In the EV world, one make/model is over EPA range by a lot and another make/model is under EPA by a lot and then there are makes/models all over within that spectrum.
Porsche voluntarily underrated the Taycan's economy and range, probably because it assumes that Porsche drivers drive more like Porsche drivers than EPA test drivers: Porsche voluntarily lowered Taycan’s official range numbers from 200 to 192 miles

I have done tests with the cruise control set at 65mph with no cabin heat or AC on a long flat road without wind, rain, or traffic that required changing speed and saw the energy screen show approximately the rated consumption for that section, on a 2022 RWD car. But I get the impression that most drivers on these forums drive much faster than than 65mph, so it should not be surprising that most drivers see significantly worse than the rated consumption on the highway.

However, those who drive much faster than 65mph on the highway should have noticed worse economy than rated in previous cars (whether EV or ICEV), unless their previous cars were deliberately underrated like the Taycan.

Porsche voluntarily underrated the Taycan's economy and range, probably because it assumes that Porsche drivers drive more like Porsche drivers than EPA test drivers: Porsche voluntarily lowered Taycan’s official range numbers from 200 to 192 miles

I have done tests with the cruise control set at 65mph with no cabin heat or AC on a long flat road without wind, rain, or traffic that required changing speed and saw the energy screen show approximately the rated consumption for that section, on a 2022 RWD car. But I get the impression that most drivers on these forums drive much faster than than 65mph, so it should not be surprising that most drivers see significantly worse than the rated consumption on the highway.

However, those who drive much faster than 65mph on the highway should have noticed worse economy than rated in previous cars (whether EV or ICEV), unless their previous cars were deliberately underrated like the Taycan.
Yeah, on aero wheels, ~65mph (with no to minimal AC/heat usage) and ideal conditions (minimal headwinds, elevation changes, mild temps) seems to give you the rated range quite easily in a RWD model (same deal with my older SR+). I find traffic actually results in more range, likely because it drops the average speed.

Inside EVs did get 310 miles at 70 mph even on a 2021 AWD long range model, but it had the aero wheels also. It was also tested in a warmer season/temperature.
2021 Tesla Model 3 70 MPH Highway Range Test Nets 310 Miles

For the OP, other than the speed, I think performance wheels and that fact it is now winter probably plays a big part in the lower efficiency. All three of those factors increase aero drag (and also affects tire efficiency too, although that likely is a smaller factor).

Last edited:

That's completely false. A C7 Z06 gets 23 MPG. Current USA premium fuel average is $4.25. So to go 100 miles in a Z06 costs $18.48.
The OP is getting 180 miles on 72 kWh. That's 40kW to go 100 miles (plus charging inefficiency)
Supercharger prices are easily 40 cents per kWh (they have hit 56 cents in CA). That's $16 to go 100 miles.

That's the same price. Not 10X. Not even double.
Yup and can make the round trip I'm talking about easily. Which is a very short trip in terms of a road trip anyways. Using superchargers and getting a bit over half of the 315 rating it's not that cheap. I didn't buy it to save gas anyways I bought it for fun and just wish range were better.

I lived in Illinois for 58 of my 61 years, so please don’t try to tell me anything about the state or its electric rates.

TOU rates mean that charging overnight (you know, as people with home charging generally do) in Illinois is WAY less expensive than your theoretical average. At certain times, the cost of electricity drops below zero.

I commuted 70 miles a day for years in ICEVs and for 3 years in an M3P, and know EXACTLY how much I paid monthly to fuel each vehicle.

And no 8,000 lb diesel truck is getting anything close to 23 mpg, no matter how you figure it.
He was talking about the z06 corvette. not the truck.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
He was talking about the z06 corvette. not the truck.

He mentioned both, and my ICEV commuter did about the same MPG as your Z06 on the freeway. Again, I commuted in both, and the Tesla was at least 5x cheaper to keep fueled.

Back to your original question, sounds like your airport round trip is absolutely possible with a single, quick Supercharger stop on the way to the airport - no need to go 20 minutes the wrong direction/out of your way at all. But my guess is that you know this already...

Back to your original question, sounds like your airport round trip is absolutely possible with a single, quick Supercharger stop on the way to the airport - no need to go 20 minutes the wrong direction/out of your way at all. But my guess is that you know this already...
I still don't think it's easily doable even stopping 70 miles in. That leaves me with 190 mile range IF I charge to 100% and I've never charged to 100% at a supercharger but I imagine it would be a slow stop. That would give me enough to get back to that supercharger on the way back. So I could leave for a 260 mile round trip full and need to make 2 stops to complete the trip.

He mentioned both, and my ICEV commuter did about the same MPG as your Z06 on the freeway. Again, I commuted in both, and the Tesla was at least 5x cheaper to keep fueled.

Yeah, for our semi-recurring (12 or so in the last couple of years) airport trips out of Orlando/MCO, I do just that, either hit it up on the way there for a little juice (if I'm picking up), or on the way back (if it's all of us traveling).

It's ~130 miles one way, right at coasting in on the return trip, so I just to add a little extra, it's the same stop either way, a Wawa, a couple of miles off the highway, easy to access, and I charge for just about the amount of time it takes to hit the facilities and grab a beverage, <10 minutes, about 50 miles for about $5-6, the other 210 miles is at my $0.118 home rate.

I still don't think it's easily doable even stopping 70 miles in. That leaves me with 190 mile range IF I charge to 100% and I've never charged to 100% at a supercharger but I imagine it would be a slow stop. That would give me enough to get back to that supercharger on the way back. So I could leave for a 260 mile round trip full and need to make 2 stops to complete the trip.

Maybe so, but even at that, it would be way quicker than going the wrong direction to get to a charger so that you could do it in one stop.

Plug your round-trip in here and it will tell you the quickest way to make the trip: www.abetterrouteplanner.com

I get pretty close to the trip estimator on both our 3LR (not P) and S100D. I typically go a bit above the speed limit. If I'm in a hurry, I'll blast and charge and then I agree it's off. Every 5 mph makes a huge difference. Its been getting much easier as they have added more superchargers around my area.

I definitely agree there is a road trip penalty. But I used to stop at a gas station 1-2x per week for all my around town driving and I have recovered all that time. So I guess I just view it as part of the trade off to stop on road trips.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
He mentioned both
Read carefully. I did not.

Again, I commuted in both, and the Tesla was at least 5x cheaper to keep fueled.
Only because you managed to live somewhere with absolutely minimal electric costs. This is not the average experience across the USA, which you know fully as you live in CA right now.

Fuel in Palm Springs is about $4.60 a gallon right now. At 23 MPG, that's exactly $20 to go 100 miles.
At 300-400wh/mi, that would be 30kWh-40kWh. For fuel to be 5X, that would require electric to be $4 or less. Which is 10 cents or less per kWh.
Tell me, what is your current kWh cost in CA?

I know I am not the typical driver but here are some atypical data points if you want them.
I got 219 Wh/mi for 220 miles in a 100% Stock 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance with the 20” UberHeavy wheels. I averaged exactly 60 mph the whole way and didn’t stop at all. This would be 360 miles with a full charge.

Perhaps that was you driving 60mph on the highway, with two Playboy bunnies in the car on YouTube? One was steering, the other entertaining the owner in the back seat?

The rest of us who drive normal highway speeds (speed limit + 10 mph) not to be moving roadblocks, get ~280-290 Wh/mi on TM3P's. My lifetime is 285 Wh/mi.
I can fabricate much lower averages going downhill at unsafely-slow-for-highway speeds, but that's not "typical" or "realistic".

I've never seen either the old advertised 310miles nor the "new" advertised 299 miles on my TM3P.
280 miles was about the max, off the highway, in fair weather with no AC and no heater.

250 at highway speeds - highly unlikely.
280 at highway speeds with either AC or heater ON?
Fugggetaboutitttt.

YMMV,
a