Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to "measure" how much power is used to charge my Tesla in the garage for tax purposes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Model Y is in garage, new wall charger being installed next week.

Previously we tracked our fuel purchases and were able to deduct some/most of them for business purposes. When using a Supercharger that works as well.

However when using a home charger is there a way or place to actually measure the amount of energy used to charge the car over a given period of time (day, month, quarter, whatever) so that the actual cost for this aspect can be tracked, documented, and reported for tax purposes?

I searched and did not find an answer....Thanks!

It is probably not worthwhile to install an electric meter, but it is something to consider given that you have not yet done the electrical work.

https://www.amazon.com/DAE-P103-200-S-KIT-Submeter-208-240v/dp/B07JF5YHXP

Another option is various non-Tesla charging stations that have Wifi capabilities and a nice control panel. I won't link any, as there are many. The disadvantage is that they are J1772 and you will need to use a somewhat bulky adapter. Advantages are that it is no more expensive than the Tesla charger and they have nice user interfaces.

Using any kind of car-based or app-based tracker will provide a useful under-estimate of the electrical usage that does not account for various inefficiencies in the charging process.

I use teslamate with my Y as well as my home consumption meter that I had installed when I got my solar panels. So far teslamate has been very accurate on how much my Y is using in both actual consumption as well what went into the battery. I am finding it very interesting on how longer charges are more efficient than short charges.

I use Teslafi - not an app but a web service at Teslafi.com. It provides stats on drives, charges, software updates and tracks costs. Best utility for the tesla - only regret is that I missed the first month or so of stats when I got my car before I even knew about it!

Give it a try - free to try it out and reasonable costs if you subscribe. Use my referral bsietz for an extra two weeks trial.

Enjoy!

I use TezLab. The free version holds 7 days of data. You can opt for the pro version if you need/ want the additional features.

You can also see my crappy defective Gen3 HPWC dropping the amps from 48 to 24.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201010-202511_TezLab.jpg
    Screenshot_20201010-202511_TezLab.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 154
Regarding the standard mileage rate (2020 = $0.575 per mile), just note that the IRS publishes the new rates for the following year in December (usually, early to mid-December).

As for energy usage, the 3rd party apps ppl linked to give much more accurate usage. I haven't installed / used them (yet) since I'm a bit concerned about potential vampire drain.

One other option is to use Optiwatt; it's a web app that tracks when your car is plugged in and measures how much energy is charged and takes into account your electricity rates. Here's a screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 2.46.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 2.46.37 PM.png
    198.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Helpful
Reactions: Natal