Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to use the Tesla 2020 Roadster as a daily driver ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pre-ordered the roadster, but what I really want to know is if I can use it as a daily driver.

This future roadster, if the look of it will still be the same, does not look as fancy as other super/hyper car so it may not get that much attention. It is like a high end Porsche....people will know it is expensive, but it does not scream weekend car.

I have two small children that I like to take them to school in the morning before I go to work. So I would like to drive the roadster as much as possible.

This car will not be gas guzzler since it is electric so daily driving would not cost much compared to a super/hyper ICE car. There will be low maintenance cost also.

A few things that would make it hard to be a daily driver is:

1. The storage space. My son does fencing and tennis so there are bags of equipment that must be in the trunk. I do not how much space will be available for storage.

2. The fear of it being scratched by other people. I guess this is a given for any expensive car.

Anyway, for those who will get this car in the future, will you use it as a daily driver? .... or at least a few days per week?

These are good observations -- probably unique to this car alone.

How to utilize the quickest production car ever made --- that is also made to drive on a daily basis.

I think your observation of scratches is a given.

If you drive a mule or a Bugatti on a daily basis, it's going to show normal wear for a car driven almost daily.

The fear of it being scratched by other people. I guess this is a given for any expensive car.

I would guess the 2020 Roadster will be easier to daily than the original, which lots of people drive daily. As for specifics, it's hard to know with a car for which only a few prototypes exist right now. At least re: scratches you can get an xpel wrap.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
1. Your son might not be doing fencing and tennis by the time car is out.

2. This is not unique to the Raodster. If you are worried about scratches then leave it in the garage. Or wrap it. You can't prevent people from bumping into you though.

When in doubt, leave it inside the garage and cover it up. You don't want your wife or kids carrying groceries or equipments and scratching your car.

Last edited:
Storage space: There's no way for us to say right now. Nobody's opened the trunk or frunk for us to get a good look. The trunk must have some amount of space, since it's the storage space for the removable glass roof.

Damage fears: I mean, that's the case with any expensive thing, isn't it? It's psychological, though. It will eventually get scratched, either by a careless passerby or driver error or road debris or deliberate attack. Can't let that hold you back. If I were getting a 2020 Roadster it'd be my daily driver every chance I got.

Storage space: There's no way for us to say right now. Nobody's opened the trunk or frunk for us to get a good look. The trunk must have some amount of space, since it's the storage space for the removable glass roof.

Damage fears: I mean, that's the case with any expensive thing, isn't it? It's psychological, though. It will eventually get scratched, either by a careless passerby or driver error or road debris or deliberate attack. Can't let that hold you back. If I were getting a 2020 Roadster it'd be my daily driver every chance I got.
reply:Musk says it has tons of storage space. If I could i would buy one!

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
On the scratching / small dings thing ..... this will depend on the body material. Can someone confirm body material, eg doors, front and rear 'bumpers' ('fenders' in US :) )

If Aluminium, like Model s/x it will be easy to ding, but if Carbon-Fibre l is used, like on original roadster, or even Glass-fibre like Lotus cars - this would be great, as most 'dooring' , shopping trolley dings etc just don't make dents / damage.

I am less concerned about parking up my roadster than Model S

Wouldn’t ride height be a problem with every day use? There are lots of steep driveways and potholes around where I live...
No more so than the original Roadster. Lots of them are daily drivers (mine included). One needs to be careful, certainly, but it's not generally a daily problem. There are lower cars around ("low riders") that can't even clear a speed bump. These aren't that low...

The bigger problem isn't so much the height, it's the approach angle when hitting a ramp, driveway, etc.