TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is it safe to reset center panel while driving ?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by plasmo, Aug 24, 2018.

1. plasmo

plasmo Member

sometimes my radio or internet freezes during trips and I need to do a center monitor reset. Is I safe to do while driving ?

2. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

yes

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. KerryOH

KerryOH Member

I don't think you can. Remember reading that it needs to be in park. Anyway I wouldn't recommend it.

• Disagree x 4
  4. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

its perfectly fine...no issues at all while driving....

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  5. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Member

It's safe to to do this. Your HVAC will go off for a few moments, but that's really the only thing you will notice. You don't need to be in park.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  6. SM18

SM18 Member

Totally fine. You can even reset the screen behind the steering wheel while driving. You'll just be without a speedometer until it restarts.

• Like x 2
  7. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

As others have said - yes

• The center screen will go dark
    • Your HVAC will go off (it may need to be turned back on manually)
    • Your radio will go off
    • Beeps & clicks will not work (blinkers, AP engagement/disengagement)
    • The screen behind the steering wheel willl still work (at least on MCU1, I'm not sure on MCU2)

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  8. Willy3988

Willy3988 Member

It is safe to do so. I have done it a few times myself.

• Like x 1
  9. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Ell Zee One, when the twins alit.

I was Ubering a couple of security software engineers from a restaurant to their hotel, they asked different questions than most passengers. When the firewall between the Fun UX Stuff and the Driving System Firmware came up, I said, "Watch this!" and rebooted the console while we drove. It's isolated and as stated, you lose Air Conditioning for a few seconds.

• Like x 1
  10. arcus

arcus Active Member

Sometimes I do that just because the "clicks" from blinker are no longer audible, or navigation gets in a "clicking" sound loops. So, I also can confirm that it is completely safe.

• Like x 1
  11. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

[​IMG]

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  12. shadownddust

shadownddust Member

The first time I did this 2 weeks into owning the car, I didn't realize I would lose the turn signal sound, and it was in the middle of winding through traffic in Brooklyn, in an area I wasn't familiar with. That was a fun time. But yes, it's possible, but more importantly, it's kinda fun on a dark road at night since your entire car goes dark on the inside.

13. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Do people use turn signals in Brooklyn?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. Tezlanian

Tezlanian Member

My HVAC stays on, weird.

15. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Yes, and in fact this gives you more confidence in the car.

I really like knowing that the drivetrain software has nothing to do with either the driver or center consoles.

16. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

As others have said, totally safe/supported. Obviously you'll lose navigation for a bit of time when you reboot the center screen (the IC nav is driven by the center screen).

The only thing interesting I've noticed is that while rebooting the center screen doesn't interfere with Autopilot (other than making the speed limit go away), rebooting the instrument cluster while on AP seems to cause a disengagement alarm.

• Informative x 1
  17. JPP

JPP Active Member

A minor note--the reboot while driving is not as 'deep' or thorough and one done in Park, and I am told the one in Park while pressing on the brake pedal is even more thorough. Always wait until you see the Tesla T on the touchscreen.

18. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

This has the distinct aroma of urban legend BS.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  19. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

The only thing that is 'deeper' is if you do a [Power Off] and be careful not to touch a single thing for 2-3 minutes while it completely cycles. You'll need to press hard on the brake pedal to restart it from this.
    [​IMG]

20. srredbeard

srredbeard Member

I think it is interesting that you asked if it is "safe" to do while driving rather than "possible". Of course the official answer for that from Tesla would be no.

As others have said it is possible and I have done it a few times. You have to decide for yourself if the current conditions of road and traffic make it safe to do. For a convenience item like the radio stopping I normally wait until I am off major roads or at a stop light.

Headlights and turn signals work though the audible sound of the blinkers stops. You can still accelerate and you can still stop.

You could use a little used parking lot the first time you try it, I did. I wanted to see for myself what would happen prior to trying it on the open road.