Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it safe to reset center panel while driving ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was Ubering a couple of security software engineers from a restaurant to their hotel, they asked different questions than most passengers. When the firewall between the Fun UX Stuff and the Driving System Firmware came up, I said, "Watch this!" and rebooted the console while we drove. It's isolated and as stated, you lose Air Conditioning for a few seconds.

Reactions: JohnnyG
As others have said - yes

• The center screen will go dark
  • Your HVAC will go off (it may need to be turned back on manually)
  • Your radio will go off
  • Beeps & clicks will not work (blinkers, AP engagement/disengagement)
  • The screen behind the steering wheel willl still work (at least on MCU1, I'm not sure on MCU2)
Sometimes I do that just because the "clicks" from blinker are no longer audible, or navigation gets in a "clicking" sound loops. So, I also can confirm that it is completely safe.

Reactions: JohnnyG
safe.jpg

The first time I did this 2 weeks into owning the car, I didn't realize I would lose the turn signal sound, and it was in the middle of winding through traffic in Brooklyn, in an area I wasn't familiar with. That was a fun time. But yes, it's possible, but more importantly, it's kinda fun on a dark road at night since your entire car goes dark on the inside.

The first time I did this 2 weeks into owning the car, I didn't realize I would lose the turn signal sound, and it was in the middle of winding through traffic in Brooklyn, in an area I wasn't familiar with. That was a fun time. But yes, it's possible, but more importantly, it's kinda fun on a dark road at night since your entire car goes dark on the inside.

Do people use turn signals in Brooklyn?

As others have said, totally safe/supported. Obviously you'll lose navigation for a bit of time when you reboot the center screen (the IC nav is driven by the center screen).

The only thing interesting I've noticed is that while rebooting the center screen doesn't interfere with Autopilot (other than making the speed limit go away), rebooting the instrument cluster while on AP seems to cause a disengagement alarm.

• Informative
Reactions: Helmuth
A minor note--the reboot while driving is not as 'deep' or thorough and one done in Park, and I am told the one in Park while pressing on the brake pedal is even more thorough. Always wait until you see the Tesla T on the touchscreen.

A minor note--the reboot while driving is not as 'deep' or thorough and one done in Park, and I am told the one in Park while pressing on the brake pedal is even more thorough. Always wait until you see the Tesla T on the touchscreen.

This has the distinct aroma of urban legend BS.
The only thing that is 'deeper' is if you do a [Power Off] and be careful not to touch a single thing for 2-3 minutes while it completely cycles. You'll need to press hard on the brake pedal to restart it from this.
1163_p16_l.jpg

I think it is interesting that you asked if it is "safe" to do while driving rather than "possible". Of course the official answer for that from Tesla would be no.

As others have said it is possible and I have done it a few times. You have to decide for yourself if the current conditions of road and traffic make it safe to do. For a convenience item like the radio stopping I normally wait until I am off major roads or at a stop light.

Headlights and turn signals work though the audible sound of the blinkers stops. You can still accelerate and you can still stop.

You could use a little used parking lot the first time you try it, I did. I wanted to see for myself what would happen prior to trying it on the open road.