Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is lifetime 270wh/mi high?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My driving is about 60% freeway and 40% local.
Region: California, temperature 60 ~ 90 F
Highway speed: 80 mph
Driving style: not too slow, not too fast
Tires: stock Primacy, rotated once
Mileage: 17000 miles
Model: SR+

I feel like this number is high since California has pretty good weather, does anyone know what could be the issue?

I feel like this number is high since California has pretty good weather, does anyone know what could be the issue?
You will hear many responses, especially considering other factors.

Your speed at 80mph is one that will bring it down, considerably. Elevation changes, regen possibilities, passengers and cargo averages, and highway traffic conditions.

FWIW, I’m in MN, at just over 25K miles, on a Long range Dual Motor. I went through winter, and am at 268 WH/mi average lifetime. I have my occasional “pedal stomp” moments, but try to limit my highway speed to 75mph max, and use regen vs mechanical braking to its maximum potential. My mix is about the same highway to local.

I generally drive slower now than I did when I owned my ICE vehicle.

2019 LR RWD 18” w/o aero caps. life time 227 wh/mi
odo 14,000
80% highway about 80 mph
I barely use brakes, and maximize one pedal driving
I live in Southern California.

Lifetime 287 wh/mi
2018 LR RWD 19”
odo 11,000
60% city driving, 40% highway about 80 mph
In mild PNW

Even though we have the more efficient RWD models I think my lifetime wh/mi has been negatively effected by so many city miles. When I go on roadtrips I avg. closer to 250-260wh/mi

SoCal here as well.
2020 SR+ 18" without Aeros
ODO ~7000 miles
85% highway, 15% city
Lifetime at exactly 250 Wh/Mi

Highway speeds now at around 80mph (just set it to 80mph and call it a day), before the lockdown, probably averaging at around 50-60mph due to traffic. The weird thing is, I use about 240 Wh/Mi on the way to work, and around 260 Wh/Mi on the way back to home. Probably has to do something with temperatures.

It's your driving style - everyone has a different number. Mine's 240-250 something. Once when I was trying to get some percieved battery degradation resolved, the tesla service tech told me to try and drive at or below 210 for a while. It was terrible - drove like a granny for a week, and it didn't make any difference. Drive the way you want, don't worry about the number.

SoCal here as well.
2020 SR+ 18" without Aeros
ODO ~7000 miles
85% highway, 15% city
Lifetime at exactly 250 Wh/Mi

Highway speeds now at around 80mph (just set it to 80mph and call it a day), before the lockdown, probably averaging at around 50-60mph due to traffic. The weird thing is, I use about 240 Wh/Mi on the way to work, and around 260 Wh/Mi on the way back to home. Probably has to do something with temperatures.

It probably has more to do with gradual elevation changes (to and from work) than temperature, at least that would be my guess.

I posted this to another thread yesterday:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/teslamileage-jpg.561783/

230Wh/mi lifetime @ 17,880 miles here in flat and temperate Silicon Valley. I've taken the car on a couple of trips to Tahoe and Yosemite in the two years I've had the car (2018 LR RWD w/Aeros on stock MXM4s). Those were probably the worst for efficiency. The majority has been commuting to work on a 70/30 highway/city streets split. Morning commutes (~15 miles one way) were around 40mph while evenings were 70mph. There have been many times I'm 15 to 20 over the limit. Taken many trips over to Santa Cruz but the 1700' elevation gain up to the summit, has been recovered on the down side. Regen is set to Standard and one pedal mode has been enabled since it became available.

I’m at 278 with my Performance on 20’s. I’ve taken a couple road trips to Tahoe and Oregon Coast and live in the Central Valley where it’s as flat as it gets. I drive 70-75 on the freeway and the mix is about 70% fwy and 30% local and it gets about 10 degrees hotter and colder here than where you’re at so I don’t think you’re far off expected efficiency for your driving.

May 2019 SR+ in Las Vegas. 90% highway above 70mph or else you get run over. On stock tires still.

Attachments

• 45009C98-196A-44BE-A144-9B265B2F4E3E.jpeg
    45009C98-196A-44BE-A144-9B265B2F4E3E.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I’m at 278 with my Performance on 20’s. I’ve taken a couple road trips to Tahoe and Oregon Coast and live in the Central Valley where it’s as flat as it gets. I drive 70-75 on the freeway and the mix is about 70% fwy and 30% local and it gets about 10 degrees hotter and colder here than where you’re at so I don’t think you’re far off expected efficiency for your driving.

my "lifetime" saved trip meter is 268 wh/mi, on my Model 3P on factory 20s.. Its missing about 1k of my miles or so, because I think to setup a lifetime trip meter myself, and didnt read about it here until I had driven that many miles. With that being said, that number is over 20k miles.

This proves I drive pretty sedate most of the time, lol. I drive back roads home from work, instead of freeway, even though I have full FSD. Driving the back roads keeps me from speeding "too" much, but I still get to have fun on the "canyon carve" part of it without going overboarrd.

Seems a little high for a SR+.

I have a LR-AWD, and my lifetime efficiency is 255Wh/mi.
Driving 80mph, I'd get 265Wh/mi, low AC.
According to ABRP, my calibrated reference consumption at 65mph is 235Wh/mile.

I'd get the ABRP app, free, register, and have it calibrate your reference consumption, to get a baseline at 65mph.

My guess is that while your efficiency seems a touch high, given your driving splits, 60% at 80mph, and generally higher temps requiring AC, it's not outside what would be considered normal.