Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model 3 a good first car?

Is Model 3 a good first car?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After waiting in line for our 3 reservations (2+1 to be technical) we finally ordered 3 Model 3s for our triplets turning 16. it was a VERY tough decision for all of the reasons mentioned. Plus the friggin cost. ugh. Yet, I have good kids, respectful, kind and responsible. The new acceleration and speed limit tool is awesome. It really comes down to safety, pollution and lack of needed maintnance. Plus my kids can charge for free at school off of the sun. It’s a bit flashy, but no one would say a word if it was a Chevy Bolt for the same cost, imo. Seems extravagant now, but every week that goes by another 5k on the road. That should diminish quickly. It may end up appearing to be the wrong decision (for many reasons), but ultimately, being the safest car on the road is what I will always come back to. That will NEVER override any other issues that may arise
Are you currently adopting? :p

Be sure to use the speed limit feature... boy if I had a Model 3 at 16 it would have been dangerous.

Seeing how every teen driver I know has had an accident (including my kid within 6 Wells is getting his license), then I would say no way in hell would I put a new driver behind the wheel.

There's a reason insurance is so expensive for new drivers.
My 21 year old on a 06 Prius with liability coverage is more expensive than me on the model 3 with full collision coverage.

After waiting in line for our 3 reservations (2+1 to be technical) we finally ordered 3 Model 3s for our triplets turning 16. it was a VERY tough decision for all of the reasons mentioned. Plus the friggin cost. ugh. Yet, I have good kids, respectful, kind and responsible. The new acceleration and speed limit tool is awesome. It really comes down to safety, pollution and lack of needed maintnance. Plus my kids can charge for free at school off of the sun. It’s a bit flashy, but no one would say a word if it was a Chevy Bolt for the same cost, imo. Seems extravagant now, but every week that goes by another 5k on the road. That should diminish quickly. It may end up appearing to be the wrong decision (for many reasons), but ultimately, being the safest car on the road is what I will always come back to. That will NEVER override any other issues that may arise

It’s expensive enough for an adult to pay for insurance on one M3, but three for three 16 year olds? The thought of that is mind boggling.

Well, since this thread is coming back from the dead anyway ...

My kid's several years from getting his license. When he does, my plan is to let him buy my Model 3 from me, at a fair price. It'll be almost 7 years old at that point. I don't see it as any different than a reliable used Camry. Only difference is I'll be willing to pay for his electrons, where if he had a gas car, that bill would be on him. But otherwise, it'll be a solid, safe used car with minimal maintenance needs.

He'll be right on the cusp of the generation that'll never drive ICE vehicles on a routine basis. Maybe as a rental somewhere, or for a specialized need, but for the most part.... all electric, all the time. If it takes a little discount from me to make that a reality, then so be it.

(and yes, he's going to be buying the car. No giveaways here - needs to have some skin in the game. If he kicks ass in college, maybe I'll give the payment back to him as a graduation gift. But he really has to work his tail off for it.)

Well, since this thread is coming back from the dead anyway ...

My kid's several years from getting his license. When he does, my plan is to let him buy my Model 3 from me, at a fair price. It'll be almost 7 years old at that point. I don't see it as any different than a reliable used Camry. Only difference is I'll be willing to pay for his electrons, where if he had a gas car, that bill would be on him. But otherwise, it'll be a solid, safe used car with minimal maintenance needs.

He'll be right on the cusp of the generation that'll never drive ICE vehicles on a routine basis. Maybe as a rental somewhere, or for a specialized need, but for the most part.... all electric, all the time. If it takes a little discount from me to make that a reality, then so be it.

(and yes, he's going to be buying the car. No giveaways here - needs to have some skin in the game. If he kicks ass in college, maybe I'll give the payment back to him as a graduation gift. But he really has to work his tail off for it.)

He might surprise you saying he'd rather uber. It'd probably be cheaper too.

He might surprise you saying he'd rather uber. It'd probably be cheaper too.

I know that's a popular thought nowadays, but here in Suburbia, not terribly practical. I've tried several times to get an Uber to/from Newark Airport and find it's more reliable to drive myself. Had several close calls where I couldn't get a car.

He's also much more of a "freedom of the road" type - being hemmed in by hiring a chauffeur wouldn't work. Routinely the sort who's up for a road trip somewhere "just because" ... If I succeed at nothing else as a parent, that makes me proud.

One thing to consider is that after learning on the M3, driving an ICE or any other car will likely be harder by comparison. There won't be as many nannies, warnings, and cameras to keep him out of trouble, so transitioning to an ICE may be dangerous at first...