Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my 85D slower than 75D now.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No it's not. 85D's got an over the air update some time in 2015 which shaved off 1s from 0-60. There were lots of happy owners back then.
At this time, 75D and 85D are probably about the same 0-60.
I stand corrected...I think. But when I look at CPO 85 and 85D models on Tesla website, the 0-60 time is listed at 5.4 sec. The P85 are at 4.2. So I’m a little confused about the over the air update you describe.

I was away and missed most of the “uncorking” discussions. I can’t find any info on whether this would also apply to 85D. If not, it would seem like 75D would now be quicker to 60mph than my 85D. Is that right?
The 85D/P85/P85+ and 75D have identical performance specifications of 4.2 seconds for 0-60mph. The 85 (RWD) is slower at 5.4 sec :cool:
Tesla Model S - Wikipedia
upload_2017-11-15_20-53-12.png

Last edited:
I stand corrected...I think. But when I look at CPO 85 and 85D models on Tesla website, the 0-60 time is listed at 5.4 sec. The P85 are at 4.2. So I’m a little confused about the over the air update you describe.
First, my comment was about S85D, not S85 - only the "D", a.k.a. dual-motor or all-wheel-drive performance was upgraded. The CPO lists 5.4s for 85D's probably because that is the spec which the car was originally sold. Whether there is some legal obligation to quote the original spec, or is it just that nobody cares to manually override their database, I don't know. Some historical references to threads with more information:
  1. Thread from back in 2015 when the "uncorking" of 85D happened (it was not called uncorking then) : Upgraded 85D?
  2. Thread from a person who retested his 85D earlier this year: Actual 0-60 performance of the S85D?

Last edited:
At least these 3 benefits are why every 75D owner will be jealous of you:

* just like 60 owners who have 75 battery, you can charge to 100% without concerns
* at superchargers, you will reach to your 80% much faster than any of the 75s
* Some day, you may get the s/w option to upgrade to 85. As our 75 batteries degrade, yours magically increase (with some $).

Neither of the first 2 are true. I have had it confirmed by Tesla that there is circa 10kWh of batteries which are not used. Therefore, no benefit here.

I doubt it with the 3rd one, otherwise there would be uproar around why I got it, but the guy who ordered at the same time and paid the same price hasn't!

Neither of the first 2 are true. I have had it confirmed by Tesla that there is circa 10kWh of batteries which are not used. Therefore, no benefit here.

I doubt it with the 3rd one, otherwise there would be uproar around why I got it, but the guy who ordered at the same time and paid the same price hasn't!
sounds wrong about the first 2( I have heard very incorrect confirmations in person plenty of times, many just say what they think or have heard) ...if there was a group of 10kWhr of batteries that were not used they would 'go bad' when they became fully discharged

I think what Tesla told you is that ~10KWh of battery capacity is unused. It would make absolutely no sense to ship an 85KWh battery with batteries removed from use - for one it would require a new design or battery (85 is actually an old design). Two, it would render those batteries dead after few months (completely discharged lithium batteries die) - so why carry the extra weight? Third, look at your battery sticker, if it says "400V" then all cells are connected, 60 or 75 battery has 350V. You can also check that at the supercharger or ChaDeMo. Fourth, you can also check by charging to 100% and
a) is the charging speed down to sum 10KW ~99%? an actual 75 will
b) if you are at 100% SoC, does your regen work? If so, there is still room in the pack. If you were to charge on top of a hill, then roll down with regen, your battery will show 100% but you will actually have more than 100% (of your software 75 limit) in the battery. Some folks with sw limited 60 did that experiment - when that happens, the battery just shows 100% until it falls under the sw limit.

In light of the Semi reveal I'm starting to understand why the uncorking has been made available. Tesla wanted to make sure owners weren't making too much noise about cars being outrun by the tractor!