Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my 85D slower than 75D now.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same. Had I known this prior to purchasing my 75D earlier this year I likely would have opted for a bigger battery... not for the range, but for the supercharging speed (Which, sucks on the 75).

Same here. I am a fairly avid reader of this forum but somehow missed the discussion when I ordered it 2 mnths ago. Went with 75D when I had a 90D available for 4000 more. Would have gone for that had I known this was the case.

Nothing I can do now.

Same here. I am a fairly avid reader of this forum but somehow missed the discussion when I ordered it 2 mnths ago. Went with 75D when I had a 90D available for 4000 more. Would have gone for that had I known this was the case.

Nothing I can do now.
If it helps reduce your regret, even the 90D gets limited to 98kW charging speed after a certain number of DC charging sessions.

Nothing I can do now.

In the real world that difference doesn't matter at all. A couple of minutes at most. 36 or 39 minutes, who cares?

Nothing I can do now.
For the $4000 it would have been a bargain. They inventory 90’s that they fire sale discounted were a steal and snatched up within days. Just the resale difference would have been more than $4k when you get rid of it someday.

I’m not sure where you got that info and believe it is unfounded speculation. We have no limitations at all.

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

Tesla explains why it limits Supercharging speed after high numbers of DC charges

The TLDR is 90 packs (especially the early ones, as there were several revs) will get limited if you DC fast charge a lot. No word yet on the 100 packs as they are too new to have hit the limit yet.

No restrictions have been noted for 85 packs.

I can't comment on 70/75 packs, I don't have any info on them relevant to this topic.

The limit kicks in after about 300 DC charging sessions (either Supercharger or Chademo).
It has been discussed widely on this forum and verified by Tesla.
A long and detailed video explaining is here:
Tesla doesn’t say it is for a specific battery, it is likely on all batteries at least to extend the life under warranty. 300 is a great number of Supercharger sessions, I wonder if that is an actual number of if it varies. I’m sure there is the same software controls on all newer batteries. Tesla seems not to talk about anything unless it is discovered. I read a study a year ago where someone had sampled the range of a large number of batteries to see how much more degradation happened from high amounts of supercharging vs slow charging. What they found surprised them because in almost all cases the batteries that were supercharged more had lower degradation than the ones slow charged.

Last edited:
If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

Tesla explains why it limits Supercharging speed after high numbers of DC charges

The TLDR is 90 packs (especially the early ones, as there were several revs) will get limited if you DC fast charge a lot. No word yet on the 100 packs as they are too new to have hit the limit yet.

No restrictions have been noted for 85 packs.

I can't comment on 70/75 packs, I don't have any info on them relevant to this topic.
I see Tesla doesn’t specify if it is on just 90 batteries. I read that article and it shows a yellow P85 battery not sure if they are talking about a P85 car, they don’t mention if that was what the battery in question was. I’m sure it is to extend the life of batteries under warranty to limit claims. I don’t think they would specifically ignore some batteries and leave them to fail earlier. It would be easier if Tesla would come foward and honestly answer questions rather than have people speculating about what they think Tesla is doing based on their results from a single car or a small sampling size that wouldn’t actually be accurate.

Last edited:
Tesla doesn’t say it is for a specific battery, it is likely on all batteries at least to extend the life under warranty. 300 is a great number of Supercharger sessions, I wonder if that is an actual number of if it varies. I’m sure there is the same software controls on all newer batteries. Tesla seems not to talk about anything unless it is discovered. I read a study a year ago where someone had sampled the range of a large number of batteries to see how much more degradation happened from high amounts of supercharging vs slow charging. What they found surprised them because in almost all cases the batteries that were supercharged more had lower degradation than the ones slow charged.

If there is a hard cut off like that, even more reason to get the 100D.

For example I just did a 1100 mile round trip in my 75 D. Supercharged about 6 times. If I had the 100D my charging times would be lower and number of sessions would be lower. I could have gotten away with 2 supercharging sessions I think.

I see Tesla doesn’t specify if it is on just 90 batteries. I read that article and it shows a yellow P85 battery not sure if they are talking about a P85 car, they don’t mention if that was what the battery in question was. I’m sure it is to extend the life of batteries under warranty to limit claims. I don’t think they would specifically ignore some batteries and leave them to fail earlier. It would be easier if Tesla would come foward and honestly answer questions rather than have people speculating about what they think Tesla is doing based on their results from a single car or a small sampling size that wouldn’t actually be accurate.
Reading that entire (long) thread, it seems all the people who have noticed issues, with the exception of a single P85 owner, are people with a 90 pack. So far all anecdotal evidence has been revolving around the 90's, especially the early 90 packs. That was the first pack where they changed the chemistry a bit of the actual batteries, which could be a reason DC charging effects them differently then the earlier 85 era packs.

I've supercharged hundreds of times in my car (85 B pack), it has over 80k miles on the odometer now, and I still get a solid 118kW at start most of the time with a "normal" taper.

If there is a hard cut off like that, even more reason to get the 100D.

For example I just did a 1100 mile round trip in my 75 D. Supercharged about 6 times. If I had the 100D my charging times would be lower and number of sessions would be lower. I could have gotten away with 2 supercharging sessions I think.
I remember reading that it’s not exactly the total number of charges, more like time spent or total kWh.
There’s a 100-page thread here somewhere, started by @Naonak

Reading that entire (long) thread, it seems all the people who have noticed issues, with the exception of a single P85 owner, are people with a 90 pack. So far all anecdotal evidence has been revolving around the 90's, especially the early 90 packs. That was the first pack where they changed the chemistry a bit of the actual batteries, which could be a reason DC charging effects them differently then the earlier 85 era packs.

I've supercharged hundreds of times in my car (85 B pack), it has over 80k miles on the odometer now, and I still get a solid 118kW at start most of the time with a "normal" taper.

The old 85s also get a reduction. They are not clipping the peak rate, but the taper is quicker. I have plenty of data from Supercharging and I see a 25% reduction in charge speed. A typical Supercharger stop now takes 8 minutes longer.

lol - thanks for that. This thread is like a roller coaster ride for a 75D owner (& 85D too, for diff reasons). One reply got me down and the next one, I am back up again.

Lol imagine me. I’ve got a 75D with a 85 battery in it!! That I can’t use. WTF? I’m dragging around extra weight that I never asked for and can’t use.

Rumour are they were using up old stock in the new 75Ds. So to top it all off, I’ve got old technology too!

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Lol imagine me. I’ve got a 75D with a 85 battery in it!! That I can’t use. WTF? I’m dragging around extra weight that I never asked for and can’t use.

Rumour are they were using up old stock in the new 75Ds. So to top it all off, I’ve got old technology too!

I highly doubt that. ALso, the 'old technology' seems to be better in terms of long term degradation.

At least these 3 benefits are why every 75D owner will be jealous of you:

* just like 60 owners who have 75 battery, you can charge to 100% without concerns
* at superchargers, you will reach to your 80% much faster than any of the 75s
* Some day, you may get the s/w option to upgrade to 85. As our 75 batteries degrade, yours magically increase (with some $).

Reactions: whitex and croman