Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my Model S the slowest Tesla made in the past two years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was talking with a friend the other day that is anxiously waiting for his Model 3 configuration invititation and he made a comment that his Model 3 will be much faster than my 18 month old Model S (0-60 mph). He also said that I own the slowest Tesla of any model manufactured during the past two years. I thought that he was wrong but I it seems that he might be right. I own a 2016 mid-year refreshed Model S75 RWD. I believe the 0-60 mph time is around 5.6 seconds. My understanding is that Model 3’s are about a full second faster to 60 mph. Model X and S dual motor vehicles can be “uncorked” to shave around a second off the 0-60 time putting them in the mid 4 second range. RWD Model S and X vehicles manufactured a little later than mine also can be “uncorked” to also put them in the 4 second range. Do I have my facts right and is my 18 month old Model S slower than all recently made Tesla vehicles including the lower priced Model 3?

Reactions: MIT_S60
Not quite. Yes 75 is 5.6s officially but that's the same speed as listed base model 3. Tesla often lists slower times than can be achieved. The long range model 3 lists at 5.1s 0 to 60 but was recently measured at 4.66s.

75D does 4.2s officially but people have gotten as low as 3.9s. only a performance model 3 is likely to beat that.

Your 75 likely goes faster to 60 than the listed 5.6s.

Not quite. Yes 75 is 5.6s officially but that's the same speed as listed base model 3. Tesla often lists slower times than can be achieved. The long range model 3 lists at 5.1s 0 to 60 but was recently measured at 4.66s.

75D does 4.2s officially but people have gotten as low as 3.9s. only a performance model 3 is likely to beat that.

Your 75 likely goes faster to 60 than the listed 5.6s.
I thought an uncorked S75 could do under 5.

The answer is yes, along with mine. We bottomed out Tesla performance for all time. Perhaps they will drop us a slight gesture with a partial uncorking, but in reality, does it matter? The 75 RWDs are dead meat on the resale scale, so might as well just plan to keep it as a really great car for the long term. Life goes on. I take solace that ours is also probably the quietest model available!

• Love
Reactions: Doctt
I was talking with a friend the other day that is anxiously waiting for his Model 3 configuration invititation and he made a comment that his Model 3 will be much faster than my 18 month old Model S (0-60 mph). He also said that I own the slowest Tesla of any model manufactured during the past two years. I thought that he was wrong but I it seems that he might be right. I own a 2016 mid-year refreshed Model S75 RWD. I believe the 0-60 mph time is around 5.6 seconds. My understanding is that Model 3’s are about a full second faster to 60 mph. Model X and S dual motor vehicles can be “uncorked” to shave around a second off the 0-60 time putting them in the mid 4 second range. RWD Model S and X vehicles manufactured a little later than mine also can be “uncorked” to also put them in the 4 second range. Do I have my facts right and is my 18 month old Model S slower than all recently made Tesla vehicles including the lower priced Model 3?

Well in terms of slowest Tesla, the contemporary X is hauling around a lot more weight with the same power. I think those are in the high 5s.

Really who cars, all these cars are way faster than they need to be. I'm really enjoying chill mode lately.

So my RWD Model S75 and a base Model 3 will be tied as the slowest Tesla vehicles? Somehow that doesn’t seem right since the base model 3 will only cost $35K. I don’t think I will ever need Chill Mode ;)

Things to feel good about
  • Slower acceleration in your S75 should result in your tires lasting longer.
  • Less likely to get ticketed by the police in a slower car
  • At least you don’t have a Model S 40 which had 0-60 performance of 6.5 sec, or the pre-refresh 60 with 0-60 of 5.9

Things to feel good about
  • Slower acceleration in your S75 should result in your tires lasting longer.
  • Less likely to get ticketed by the police in a slower car
  • At least you don’t have a Model S 40 which had 0-60 performance of 6.5 sec, or the pre-refresh 60 with 0-60 of 5.9
One more:
  • At least you didn't pay extra for power which was never delivered. P85D buyers paid for 691hp and received 463hp max capable car. S75 owners got exactly what they were paying for, sometimes even more.

I was talking with a friend the other day that is anxiously waiting for his Model 3 configuration invititation and he made a comment that his Model 3 will be much faster than my 18 month old Model S...

A friend that talks that much smack deserves to do a full quarter mile runlog for you (and us) when his car arrives.

One thing that is likely and would be seen in a full quarter mile is the lack of a dip in max power starting at about 70 mph due to the induction motor back EMF. His permanent magnet motors should have higher high speed passing ability.

Things to feel good about...
I don’t have runlogs for the former, although I continue to beg them, as such I am sceptical that there is a difference in torque and max power between the original 40 and the upgraded 60. As for that latter 60, I suspect that there is a max power difference but that the 0-60 time difference is not as large as reported by Tesla.

And here is a unicorn that will show up on the next performance update: Farzinfar's new drive unit but uncorked RWD which is slower than the old drive unit version. Although it looks a quarter second faster here due to these particular launches, it's max power is actually lower. So few RWDs were produced before the official uncorking date, this being a rare one, that it may be hard for @Farzinfar to remedy.

Again, these are rollout times...

upload_2018-1-12_7-8-26.png

Last edited:
ah you don't have the slowest models s, the older cars are slower. but still 0-60 in 5 seconds is amazingly quick... especially for a large 5 +2 family sedan. still faster than 90% of cars in its size and class.

My personal and subjective take on this is that you are not missing much. I have a loaner P85D now (pre-facelift) while my S75 (RWD) is in service. It is tad faster from the get-go (traffic lights and such), but other than that it is unnoticeable during regular drive. The insane mode is giving you that extra oomph, but when you compare to 75 is not as overwhelming as when you are coming from an ICE.

AWD feels slightly more "planted" as well, but the whine from the front motor is also creating a new annoyance.

You poor, poor thing. Let's setup a group meeting for those of us with slow Teslas...

Hi, I'm SabrToothSqrl... I own a 5 year old Tesla. It's 0-60 performance keeps me up at night.
I feel like less of a man sometimes. Not usually, but sometimes.
I'd like to take it out on my back tires, but sadly... I own a slow Tesla.

brb, going to look for the meaning of life again.