Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now REALLY a good time to buy a new Tesla? [Jan 2023 / April 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prices are still beyond my limits. I have two “old” Teslas bought new 5 and 6 years ago, respectively. I also paid $5k and $7k respectively for FSD Beta during the EAP/FSD “sales” nearly four years ago. Though the Beta still has a long way to go I wouldn’t buy a new Tesla without FSD and even after the price cuts adding $15k X 2 for FSD takes the cost of two new cars far beyond my limits.

Is cheaper EAP an option for a new car? Not after having FSD. Is the monthly fee for FSD an option? Not for someone who doesn’t want to pay a monthly fee that is the size of a moderate car payment on two paid-off cars.

When/if I buy again I’ll look for a low miles used car with FSD.
I don't understand why you said you "wouldn't buy a new Tesla without FSD?" Did you mean with?

I wouldn't, under any circumstance, pay $15k for a phantom product.

No matter how upset I am about getting screwed on the recent price changes, I can't imagine how upset people are who paid $15k for FSD.

Let alone the people who bought at the $66k full price AND paid for FSD. Oofta.

But seriously, unless you need a car right now... wait. HW4 will be a huge difference, especially if they add an HD Radar system.

Reactions: tm3lrawd
Not sure why anyone would pay $15k for FSD right now. It doesn't work. It has no value.
And I would say the same to you having joined only a few weeks ago that’s Your opinion based on some forum rants. I have had FSD (b) for 2 years now and would Personally never buy this technology car without the Technology. As a User/Owner I find it Very good and extremely useful. Perfect, no but dam good and Far from your Assumed “doesn’t work” theory opinion. (And no I don’t consider renting for a month a valid life test).I use it Every day, Every drive so I believe my opinion trumps your theory.

And I would say the same to you having joined only a few weeks ago that’s Your opinion based on some forum rants. I have had FSD (b) for 2 years now and would Personally never buy this technology car without the Technology. As a User/Owner I find it Very good and extremely useful. Perfect, no but dam good and Far from your Assumed “doesn’t work” theory opinion. (And no I don’t consider renting for a month a valid life test).I use it Every day, Every drive so I believe my opinion trumps your theory.
Hold up, you’re saying it does work and has value? 🤯

Great theory, except I've had FSD, paid $10k for it, and used it extensively. That's how I know it's a complete waste of money, and is junk. Luckily I was able to dump the car last summer for more than I paid, and didn't lose that $10k.

$15k FSD is worth $750 on the used market. There's a reason for that.

Forum join date does not equal "date of first experience with Tesla."

Last edited:
Forum join date does not equal "date of first experience with Tesla."
Nor does one persons opinion of “doesn’t work” vs someone currently using it daily with great success. Just because you didn’t see value doesn’t make it a universal one size fits all fact. Granted my opinion has greatly improved from that of a year ago.

Nor does one persons opinion of “doesn’t work” vs someone currently using it daily with great success. Just because you didn’t see value doesn’t make it a universal one size fits all fact. Granted my opinion has greatly improved from that of a year ago.
To clarify: It doesn't work in the sense that it's not "self driving" and it can't drive for you, and does not make a drive more relaxed. Using FSD, you have to be much more vigilant and hyper aware than if you're just driving yourself or using Adaptive Cruise & Lane Centering from most major brands.

As a tech novelty, it's great. I love tech. If that's worth $15k to you, great!

To clarify: It doesn't work in the sense that it's not "self driving" and it can't drive for you, and does not make a drive more relaxed. Using FSD, you have to be much more vigilant and hyper aware than if you're just driving yourself or using Adaptive Cruise & Lane Centering from most major brands.

As a tech novelty, it's great. I love tech. If that's worth $15k to you, great!
So it Does work now with the always present “cost” point of reference overhang. I find it very relaxing and value added when I’m not fixated on the Cost to enter.

So it Does work now with the always present “cost” point of reference overhang. I find it very relaxing and value added when I’m not fixated on the Cost to enter.

A "FSD" system which requires a human to be constantly watching it with a hand on the wheel ready to take over at any second is NOT really a self-driving system - more of a technology demonstration that still requires 100% human supervision.

I hope Tesla can legitimately reach level 3 and 4 self-driving. They are not there yet.

A "FSD" system which requires a human to be constantly watching it with a hand on the wheel ready to take over at any second is NOT really a self-driving system - more of a technology demonstration that still requires 100% human supervision.

I hope Tesla can legitimately reach level 3 and 4 self-driving. They are not there yet.
I hope they can too, but it's looking more and more unlikely, especially with the current hardware.

Reactions: GeoX750
I hope they can too, but it's looking more and more unlikely, especially with the current hardware.

Oh, I think they'll get there. The hardest part will be the legal authority (and insurance implications) to have the car genuinely drive itself.

If I send my FSD Tesla to the school to pick up my daughter (in a future genuine-FSD world) and it's in an accident - who's insurance pays and who's driving record does the accident go on? This is messy stuff, even if FSD drives better than the average human.

Three Teslas with FSD here. It works fantastic. 1. Read the manual. 2. Pay attention. 3. Anticipate the obvious and predictable times where more intervention is required. Overtime number 3 has become less and less.

If you are the guy who put on FSD, folded your arms and started yelling in your car at Elon when it made a "mistake"... I dont want you to have FSD either.

If you are the guy who put on FSD, folded your arms and started yelling in your car at Elon when it made a "mistake"... I dont want you to have FSD either.
Exactly. It requires constant vigilance. I follow a few of the FSD YT channels and I'm certainly impressed at what it can do and the progress its made since I started following it a year ago.

However, it seems to me that it actually requires more concentration and vigilance compared to just driving yourself. Do you actually feel it is more relaxing to drive with FSD? More fun? My biggest concern with it is how unnatural it can be to other drivers and pedestrians around you. It just doesn't have the proper cues to other road users that we as humans have developed over decades of driving.

There are also some big head scratchers like why it still can't perform a "no right turn on red" maneuver....ie staying put....LOL

Exactly. It requires constant vigilance. I follow a few of the FSD YT channels and I'm certainly impressed at what it can do and the progress its made since I started following it a year ago.

However, it seems to me that it actually requires more concentration and vigilance compared to just driving yourself. Do you actually feel it is more relaxing to drive with FSD? More fun? My biggest concern with it is how unnatural it can be to other drivers and pedestrians around you. It just doesn't have the proper cues to other road users that we as humans have developed over decades of driving.

There are also some big head scratchers like why it still can't perform a "no right turn on red" maneuver....ie staying put....LOL
I have found all of Tesla's driver assistance features to require more vigilance than just driving it myself, especially FSD. It gets very tiring to have to correct the constant issues, and get nagged like crazy.

My Mercedes with Driver Assistance Package Plus is world's better on the highway than either my FSD MX was, or my AP MY is now.

I have found all of Tesla's driver assistance features to require more vigilance than just driving it myself, especially FSD. It gets very tiring to have to correct the constant issues, and get nagged like crazy.

My Mercedes with Driver Assistance Package Plus is world's better on the highway than either my FSD MX was, or my AP MY is now.
I only have the basic AP that comes with the car and I play around with it when there aren't cars behind me. But just in the first couple times using it on a simple highway it drastically cut speed by about 20km/h on me and I feel that is just too dangerous to cars behind me when it is totally random. I couldn't figure out any reason for the times it cut speed so I don't trust it. I let it drive me on country roads with no one around just for fun. I've actually had way less phantom brakes on those roads than on the highways that it is designed for. Since it is using hwy code on the country roads I'm sure FSD Beta would be miles better on those roads. If Tesla allowed FSD subscriptions in Canada I would certainly subscribe once in awhile just to try it out. Maybe one month every 6 months. But so far no subscription option in Canada.